Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

mmrocek

Observer
It's not my thread... I just remembered it was there, so pointed it out.
The person that posted it, does say that their not happy with how far out the wheel is sitting. And it is a fair way out from the trailer.
My only concern with it is how much the wheel would move around. They're bloody heavy!
But I do like the idea of a hitch mounted wheel carrier. And I will be implementing something in due course, as I want the spare wheel gone from the front. So I will be watching very intently for any suggestions that anyone has to make about it.

To answer your questions on the tire carrier: I like modular setups so that parts can be reused elsewhere if needed. For example this tire carrier is a Yakima BackSwing 8002483. I had to move the receiver to the passenger side so that the hinge is past the trailer rear door. Also had to move the receiver down so that the door clears the yakima fully when open. The good - it is solid even with the spare tire loaded. Once tightened I can swing the whole trailer by pushing the spare tire left to right. That was my big worry, but it's solid. The bad - it does stick out. I can modify it some more and get it closer to the door, but the design of the Yakima will never let it be right up against the door. The weight - we will see this memorial day - I will be bouncing around with it on the beach in mexico, plus the roads there are not the greatest... I'm thinking it will be fine, but I will only have the spare tire and a trasharoo on it.

Catalanbull

Thanks MMrocek and Misubisu!

This weekend I went out for two nights, first time with the trailer, and now I'll start working on the mods. I found that a 15 lb propane tank fits perfectly in the tire carrier that comes with the trailer, along with 3 20l scepter cans. I was thinking of removing that tire carrier, but it came pretty useful, so for now I'll leave it. The only concern is the weight of the water at the front, but I'll try to compensate with the tire at the back.

Another thought was the lack of counter space. I liked the idea of the counter on the fender, but I also want to add cavinets on both sides in there. So I'll be scratching my head over this. Since I don't use a rooftop tent, I can also add storage on top of the trailer. I'll be thinking on options.

I wish it had a bit more storage, but that's something I can fix. Also the sink was a little useless. I'll try to find a sink that has a drain where I can attach a pipe that runs away from the trailer. Otherwise it gets pretty messy.

Haha it sounds like all negatives, but in fact it was great. Just focusing on improving it and adjusting it to my needs. It rolled great at the back of the jeep and it definitely turned some heads on the way.

I purchased an 8.2x6 Smittybilt awning, which arrived half hour after I was gone on Friday :eek: Oh well, I'll have it for next trip :)

BTW, the Partner Steel stove fits really good, I'll be thinking if I have it facing front or back, depending on how I go about the counterspace. I also want to make a trip to the Container Store to see if they have any drawers that would fit in the kitchen drawer. The generator drawer was great to keep the grill, dutch oven, lanterns and flammables. If I get a generator I'll probably carry it at the back as that area is really convenient for this stuff.

Grak

Thanks MMrocek and Misubisu!

This weekend I went out for two nights, first time with the trailer, and now I'll start working on the mods. I found that a 15 lb propane tank fits perfectly in the tire carrier that comes with the trailer, along with 3 20l scepter cans. I was thinking of removing that tire carrier, but it came pretty useful, so for now I'll leave it. The only concern is the weight of the water at the front, but I'll try to compensate with the tire at the back.

View attachment 515727

Another thought was the lack of counter space. I liked the idea of the counter on the fender, but I also want to add cavinets on both sides in there. So I'll be scratching my head over this. Since I don't use a rooftop tent, I can also add storage on top of the trailer. I'll be thinking on options.

I wish it had a bit more storage, but that's something I can fix. Also the sink was a little useless. I'll try to find a sink that has a drain where I can attach a pipe that runs away from the trailer. Otherwise it gets pretty messy.

Haha it sounds like all negatives, but in fact it was great. Just focusing on improving it and adjusting it to my needs. It rolled great at the back of the jeep and it definitely turned some heads on the way.

View attachment 515724

View attachment 515728

I purchased an 8.2x6 Smittybilt awning, which arrived half hour after I was gone on Friday :eek: Oh well, I'll have it for next trip :)

BTW, the Partner Steel stove fits really good, I'll be thinking if I have it facing front or back, depending on how I go about the counterspace. I also want to make a trip to the Container Store to see if they have any drawers that would fit in the kitchen drawer. The generator drawer was great to keep the grill, dutch oven, lanterns and flammables. If I get a generator I'll probably carry it at the back as that area is really convenient for this stuff.

Pretty cool. Is your tent short enough when packed to fit in the rear cargo area? How do you transport it?

Catalanbull

It's a Springbar Tent. The canvas and tarp is all in a bag that fits great in the back (left arrow in the pic) and the poles are a few inches too long so they have to go diagonal (right arrow). It's a design that sets up and breaks down really fast. I'll be getting cots for the next trip too. For sleeping bag I'm using a Butler Bag All Season sleeping bag, which I had to tie in a cargo bag on top attached to the bars for the RTT as those definitely wouldn't fit.

Grak

It's a Springbar Tent. The canvas and tarp is all in a bag that fits great in the back (left arrow in the pic) and the poles are a few inches too long so they have to go diagonal (right arrow). It's a design that sets up and breaks down really fast. I'll be getting cots for the next trip too. For sleeping bag I'm using a Butler Bag All Season sleeping bag, which I had to tie in a cargo bag on top attached to the bars for the RTT as those definitely wouldn't fit.

View attachment 515749
Ok. Thanks for the pic. Yeah I've been eyeballing that tent for a while, bit too long for inside my 2door Jeep without going diagonal, appreciate the input.

misubisu

To answer your questions on the tire carrier: I like modular setups so that parts can be reused elsewhere if needed...
Thanks for the update!
I've recently ordered a Backswing, so this info will be very useful. I was a little concerned about the strength, so your comments are very well received.

I'm going to fabricate my own wheel mount to go onto the backswing, as there is nothing with a reasonable price available here in Australia.

mmrocek

Observer
Some more items have been figured out over the last few days...

I riveted some aluminum to hold my other 2 solar panels in place while in transport:

Since the tire is out, I have figured out the mounting for my air/fuel/water/propane - (hoping that it will not kill my tongue weight)

protected by the box...

Also water heater is working out well and makes the sink useable:

I do have to drill a hole (and make it seal-able) through the front and drop in the water pickup into the water container and connect the propane...

And last but not least got this yesterday - Weber Q 1200 (will get rid of the right fold out table for better access to sink.)

misubisu

Hi folks,I’m curious if anyone has put an internal water tank on their trailer. If so, where and how did you mount it? Thanks.
I'm looking at these:
80 ltr tank
60 ltr tank
They come in different sizes and I reckon they will fit underneath - but will need a way to protect it.
I've also considered mounting one to the roof (under the RTT).
I will be investigating this further... after i have moved my spare wheel to the back of the trailer (current job in progress).

jojackc

The 28 is 4 inches higher than level.
I measured just over 24 inches height at the hitch when level.
I tow with a 2018 f150 and it comes on and off with no problems. I can however see that sometimes it might not be enough.
$10 blocks from wallymart.
Raises another 6 inches.
That is not on par with stock, and I need those anyway as I have been camping more than once and rain squals came in.
I would do this again.....and again.
My pin hole in the stock Jack have enlarged the hole on the trailer to the point it was wobbling a good amount.
Once you see this hitch you would consider it.
I think the xo500 is plenty.

I think things are just adding up against me. Not sure what tires you went with but I did 35's on the trailer and my 2010 dodge ram 1500 has 35's as well. If you are loading the trailer in my drive way at least its adding to your problem. If I rolled my trailer out onto the street and then hitched it up I'm pretty sure with that Jack I could get it on the truck. My point would be that if I get stuck chances are the angles of my truck/trailer would be in would be much worse then my drive way. So would it be better to bet on the jack that might not reach the ground or just get the whole rig out together.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I think things are just adding up against me. Not sure what tires you went with but I did 35's on the trailer and my 2010 dodge ram 1500 has 35's as well. If you are loading the trailer in my drive way at least its adding to your problem. If I rolled my trailer out onto the street and then hitched it up I'm pretty sure with that Jack I could get it on the truck. My point would be that if I get stuck chances are the angles of my truck/trailer would be in would be much worse then my drive way. So would it be better to bet on the jack that might not reach the ground or just get the whole rig out together.

I have the stock, what.... 33's the trailer came with, or at least I think it is 33's. In my case, adding the yellow plastic ramp blocks gets me the same height of the stock jack. That stock jack just scared me. Specially close to full extension.

jojackc

I have the stock, what.... 33's the trailer came with, or at least I think it is 33's. In my case, adding the yellow plastic ramp blocks gets me the same height of the stock jack. That stock jack just scared me. Specially close to full extension.

The stock jack scares me too lol.

Kraxler

Hi, looks really good. How much travel is there, how low and high can you raise and lower your tent?
At full height it's 15.75 in from top of deck to top of cross bar. When full down there's about 4to 5 in from top of deck to top of cross bar. Looks like the look ft is a total of 10 in. One person can raise or lower the top. I have the Smittybuilt XL RTT. Two people makes it easier just to keep thins even. Not hard work. Up is easier than down. 516118

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles