Captain Texas Anvil JKU build

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Had the Jeep get the oil cooler replaced and the coolant flushed yesterday. Took it for a drive on the highway and noticed a good 20 degree reduction in coolant temperature. Pretty disappointed that these oil coolers have such a poor design but surprised to say the least it has lasted this long.

Drives nice and smooth now.

denverjeep

Thank!

So with the Frontrunner shelf it has several adjustments and mine currently is set to the 2nd highest. If you want more space between the cargo floor and it, I believe Vector makes one that mounts to the roll bar and it higher up than the highest setting on the Frontrunner.

That's awesome - thanks for the tip! ✌

Presto88

Adventurer
What temperature range does your coolant run now? Mine has always been in the 220-230 range and the dealer told me that was normal....

Captain Texas

Adventurer
What temperature range does your coolant run now? Mine has always been in the 220-230 range and the dealer told me that was normal....

I was getting around 190/200F range when I drove it yesterday. It was below freezing though yesterday but I am going to try to drive it a lot this afternoon to get a better feeling for temps.

It was in the 220-230 range before the cooler get fixed, would be around there when going up inclines in a lower gear say around 3K RPM. What was really bugging me was that the needle started to creep up to the right. As long as I have owned it it has stayed pegged in the middle just until a few months ago. I have seen it spike to around 240 at times, had to ease off the throttle and shift up.

Easy way to tell if you have a cooler leak is go under the Jeep and look at your transmission. If there is a lot of brown oil kinda sprayed about the housing, you've got an engine oil cooler leak.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Deleted the side subwoofer today. I have the trim piece on order but went ahead and removed it. Man it gives me a lot of room.
9PNYCtK.jpg

Kxfxlqr.jpg

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Finally got the time (and motivation honestly) to wash and clean the Jeep. Man its nice having clean side mirrors!

dQogO1r.jpg

Currently working with Tribe 4x4 to see about getting an AEV Heat Reduction Hood on order. They are working on an estimate for cost.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Finally got the time (and motivation honestly) to wash and clean the Jeep. Man its nice having clean side mirrors!

dQogO1r.jpg

Currently working with Tribe 4x4 to see about getting an AEV Heat Reduction Hood on order. They are working on an estimate for cost.

Still love that color!!

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Got the new trim piece installed for the sub delete. Mopar Parts Overstock supplied me with the two pieces and they are great quality.

Only issue I had was that there was a plastic stub that was hitting the tub so I had to cut it off for proper fitment. Otherwise everything snapped into place.

khZz0RN.jpg

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Got a BROG small IFAK and headrest pack in the mail today. As usual, the quality with BROG is awesome and it is super nice to have the pack on velcro in an easy to reach location. Only thing was that they did not send me an ID tag that I ordered with it so that will be shipped Monday and the pack comes empty. I have an old first aid kit ill probably transfer some gear into but they recommended Dollar Tree as a place to get everything to fill this kit up with.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
So took the Jeep to Tribe 16 to get the steering stabilizer bolt installed (After procrastinating for about 4 months) and to see why my radiator fan wasn't coming on.

They determined it was an air bubble in the coolant line. They took care of that as well and they added about a gallon of coolant. Now the fan is coming on like it is supposed to.

gspfunk

Great JKU! I love the color. Probably (subconsciously) part of my infatuation w/ Sting-Gray in the new JL’s/WK2’s.

Captain Texas

Adventurer
Got some things in the works for the JK.

I met Tom during the Ghost Divide Expedition last year with NMBR and recently he has been working on a 100% rear seat delete for the Jeep JK. Reached out to him if he was willing to make this a product and he said yes. Gave him a deposit for one and should expect to get it installed sometime in mid-June. I love the Goose Gear plate system don't get me wrong but the fact that for the seat delete plates I would need to get the trunk plate, then the crazy high prices for the 60 and 40 together made me find an alternative. I plan on trying to make a plate system for the trunk to flow with the seat delete plate and for a way to me to add a slide for a fridge or cooler.

aMW8nJa.jpg

Also reached out to Tribe4X4 to get an estimate on what it would cost to get an AEV 3.5" system installed. After a lot of thinking and planning, I think I am going to keep my JK long enough to justify continuing modification on it. Not 100% committed to the new suspension because I need to see if I can afford the extra height to fit in my garage.

Also ordered some new AC knobs in Anvil from AJT Designs. Should be in by the end of the week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles