Aluminum Framed TC

BaseCamp

Observer
Just sold my van and bought a new Super Duty Diesel, anywhere to find what year each manufacturer switched over to aluminum framed construction? I've seen Lance switched in '05 or '06 but nothing definitive, also not sure about all the other options whether it be Host, Artic Fox, etc. Would certainly love a new camper but I have a race car that requires lots of $$$$$ already, so maybe I should buy something from the used market. Thanks!

BaseCamp

Observer
I've been doing a bit of research, figured I would update this for anyone else wondering:

Alpenlite since 1981 to 2007
Adventurer since 2007
Lance since 2005
Northwoods Arctic Fox since 2005
Eagle Cap since 2000
Host Campers since 2004
Fleetwood since 2001
Summerwind since 1999-2005
Bigfoot since 2002(not all models?)
Real Lite since 1996

If you have any additions let me know.

Mfitz

I've been doing a bit of research, figured I would update this for anyone else wondering:

Alpenlite since 1981 to 2007
Adventurer since 2007
Lance since 2005
Northwoods Arctic Fox since 2005
Eagle Cap since 2000
Host Campers since 2004
Fleetwood since 2001
Summerwind since 1999-2005
Bigfoot since 2002(not all models?)
Real Lite since 1996

If you have any additions let me know.
All Camplite and Cirrus truck campers are aluminum framed

follow Maggie

Bigfoot doesn’t make an aluminum frame camper anymore. Both of their camper lines now are molded fiberglass. Whenever they stopped making the 3000 series camper was the end of aluminum frame campers from them.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
Base Camp,
If you are including Host and A.F. in your search, I hope you obtained an F-350 to F-550, dual rear wheel truck with a couple extra leaves; an extra upper overload spring, Stable Loads, a thick anti sway bar and heavy duty shocks to carry either of them. The other concern is how you will use said truck camper once it's on board. If you find yourself in the hardcore XTC camp (extreme truck camping), it's really a toss up on using aluminum. The verdict is still out on aluminum frames under certain conditions. They are more brittle and less forgiving than wood frames and more apt to break than a well built wood frame. They also tend to sweat in cold weather. I have beat the whee out of my wood frame 1998 Lance 165-s for 18 long years so it is cosmetically pretty beat up but still structurally sound. I've replaced a lot of components that lived longer than the 8 years these are expected to last.
Jeanie and I have just gone through a long and focused process of replacing our aging Lance and personally looked at a LOT of truck campers. We went through the 'bling' stage where we were impressed with shiny metal parts and the latest technology. After living with customer reviews and the excellent advice found on Truck Camper Adventure, we bailed back to tried and true components hung on a wood frame camper. But we use our camper on the edge and rarely use campgrounds with hookups. A couple vids:
Anza Borrego Desert:
On the way to Beef Basin in mud:
jefe

c.traveler2

Here's another reason for going with wooden frame, it's field repairable. When you do XTC like jefe and I do field repairable is a must.

JMadigan

Northland had an option for an aluminum frame in their Polar model. These campers also had some unique layouts that focused on storage. Because the company went out of business during the recession I've had a hard time digging up weights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles