Long Term Reliability of LR4

Mako1114

Adventurer
I got rid of mine when it went past 100,000. The cost of the timing chain replacement was just too flippin high for me to justify. I loved it, it was a great truck but I missed having a Jeep.
The prospect of a timing chain replacement certainly gives me pause and my neighbor has mentioned that he is probably getting ready to replace it on his high-mileage LR4. It'd be nice if it went bad before my extended warranty as I believe it is covered but would have to double check.

Cheers

merr1ca

The prospect of a timing chain replacement certainly gives me pause and my neighbor has mentioned that he is probably getting ready to replace it on his high-mileage LR4. It'd be nice if it went bad before my extended warranty as I believe it is covered but would have to double check.

Cheers
Who is the extended warranty through? What coverage level is it?

Mako1114

Adventurer
Who is the extended warranty through? What coverage level is it?

Its a Z-Series Warranty Preferred Care that I purchased through the local Land Rover Dealership; it was $5k for up to 48 months or 100k miles from purchase. It had the most comprehensive coverage options if memory serves.

Cheers

merr1ca

Its a Z-Series Warranty Preferred Care that I purchased through the local Land Rover Dealership; it was $5k for up to 48 months or 100k miles from purchase. It had the most comprehensive coverage options if memory serves.

Cheers
Depending on the build date in 2012, you might already have the updated tensioners and guides. If not, you might be able to get the shop to agree that it's very noisy and needs them done.

Mako1114

Adventurer
Depending on the build date in 2012, you might already have the updated tensioners and guides. If not, you might be able to get the shop to agree that it's very noisy and needs them done.

That is great information; do you happen to know the date range for the updated tensioners & guides?

Cheers

merr1ca

That is great information; do you happen to know the date range for the updated tensioners & guides?

Cheers

I'd call your Service Advisor with your VIN#. If they ask, yes, it does make a noise when you start it. The chain's rattle in they morning when it's cold. I doubt yours actually do.

Al Blue4.6l

Vin range is a couple posts down

Ricter

My 2010 LR4 is pushing 150k right now. I'm still daily driving it. Pretty much regular maintenance only so far.

I've thought about letting my son drive it in a year or so when he's 16, but in reality he'd be more comfortable learning to drive in something smaller. The LR4 is a beast to drive and park in the city. Plus our other cars are cheaper to insure, cheaper to replace if/when he has accidents, and they're manual transmissions which I want to be sure he gets comfortable driving.

Silmarillion

Observer
My 2010 LR4 is pushing 150k right now. I'm still daily driving it. Pretty much regular maintenance only so far.

I've thought about letting my son drive it in a year or so when he's 16, but in reality he'd be more comfortable learning to drive in something smaller. The LR4 is a beast to drive and park in the city. Plus our other cars are cheaper to insure, cheaper to replace if/when he has accidents, and they're manual transmissions which I want to be sure he gets comfortable driving.
I hated driving my family's suburban when I was learning. It felt like it took up the whole lane! How could I not hit someone?

The smaller option was the Volvo station wagon and they sold it right before I turned 16! Was pretty bummed.

An LR4 would be better than most 16 year Olds deserve! I hope she cherishes it.

Mako1114

Adventurer
I ended up selling the LR4 for full asking price to the first buyer that looked at it. It's bitter-sweet as it was an excellent vehicle but the older lady who purchased was really excited about it so I think it worked out for the best.

Cheers

Mako1114

Adventurer

Vin range is a couple posts down

Looks like mine was well outside of the VIN range associated with the TSB.

Cheers

merr1ca

Take a look at Volvo, cheaper, safer and nicer than the Japanese equivalents. Also, cheap to fix and very reliable. They're surprisingly capable. Saved my dad's life. Shrugged off an 80 mph impact

he XC 70 is the real bargain, but people are always "Ewwww wagon" for some reason.

Mako1114

Adventurer
Take a look at Volvo, cheaper, safer and nicer than the Japanese equivalents. Also, cheap to fix and very reliable. They're surprisingly capable. Saved my dad's life. Shrugged off an 80 mph impact

he XC 70 is the real bargain, but people are always "Ewwww wagon" for some reason.

Glad to hear that your dad was okay. I'll check the Volvo's out. They are local to me here in Charleston now!

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz