Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

misubisu

Fitted the new 30 Second Wing Awning today.
Great awning, really well made... but the fitting instructions are next to useless. Better of just using your brain and doing it the most logical way.

Didn't need any of the brackets that came with the awning. Just the 4 longer stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts. They didn't supply any washers to go under the nuts to stop them chewing into the powdercoating, but fortunately I had some spare stainless steel washers on hand.

I cut the tops of the awning supports that came with the Smittybilt Scout Trailer as they were not needed. Painted and capped the ends of them.

The end result is very solid and doesn't move at all. Very happy with the outcome.

Last edited:

McDowra

Observer
Great awning, really well made... but the fitting instructions are next to useless. Better of just using your brain and doing it the most logical way.

Didn't need any of the brackets that came with the awning. Just the 4 longer stainless steel bolts and nyloc nuts. They didn't supply any washers to go under the nuts to stop them chewing into the powdercoating, but fortunately I had some spare stainless steel washers on hand.

I cut the tops of the awning supports that came with the Smittybilt Scout Trailer as they were not needed. Painted and capped the ends of them.

The end result is very solid and doesn't move at all. Very happy with the outcome.
View attachment 514157View attachment 514158View attachment 514159View attachment 514160
How about some pictures with it setup!

thardin68

Hey, I have been planning on the Darche 270 with sidewalls. I like that it folds down fairly short due to opening on both ends. The 30 Second awning looks great and stout. Just curious, being from that side of the world where these are made, any thoughts on one over the other?

misubisu

Hey, I have been planning on the Darche 270 with sidewalls. I like that it folds down fairly short due to opening on both ends. The 30 Second awning looks great and stout. Just curious, being from that side of the world where these are made, any thoughts on one over the other?
Hi there,
Just looked at the Darche on youtube. It is definitely shorter when folded. Looks like the overall coverage my be slightly larger.
What I like about the 30Sec awning, is that you don't need to use any poles uless it's windy. Even then, you only need to use one.
If you put walls up, you do need to add the poles (they come as part of the wall kit. Which I have also purchased).

The 30 Second Awning is made in Australia. Don't know if it is available outside of Australia.
I can confirm that it is very well made. I was very impressed with its build quality when I received it. It's also very easy to mount on the Scout Trailer, but I imagine the mounting of any awning would be similar. It's also quite heavy at around 28 kilos. The canvas is heavy and looks to be very durable too.

The Darche does look to be a good one. If you go ahead, would be interested in your feedback on it.

Grak

“Darche highly recommends the Eclipse 270° Awning should NOT be erected during windy conditions. Damage caused by wind and/or adverse weather will not be covered under warranty.”

mmrocek

Observer
What is keeping the wood sheet under the tent from sliding out? Good idea and use of space

Nothing yet. I'll probably just make some fixed L brackets on the front and sides and rotational on the back. Riveted to the tent floor. But I'm trying to think of less intrusive options too.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Yeah, mine only has one on top, two on each side and two in the tongue area for the spare. That's it. Mine was built in March 2017. Sounds like they added more as they went along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles