3rd Gen Montero Limited - Will these aftermarket wheels fit?

SampaGuy

Hi All,

First of all, I have searched and read every Montero wheel size thread on this and other forums, before you yell at me :)

The gods of craigslist have given me a set of cheap aftermarket wheels that I think will look great on my 2004 Montero Limited. They were previously installed on a 2006ish Toyota 4Runner. I have a couple of questions:

1. Hub centric rings - the wheels are lug-centric (tapered cone shaped lug holes), and have a 110mm center bore. My Montero is 67.1mm. I cannot find anywhere on the internet for the life of me a 67.1mm to 110mm hub centric ring. Given that the wheels are lug-centric, I should be ok running them without any rings, correct? Buying 67.1 to 108mm rings (the largest ones available) would not help?

2. Offset - The wheels are 16x8 and were advertised as zero offset. While sanding some of the surface rust as I prepped for paint, I discovered the wheels are actually -6 offset per engravings. I know there are many people running 16x8 zero offset wheels with 265/75/16 on stock suspension, do you think that 16x8 with -6 offset and 265/75/16 will be a problem?

Thank you in advance!

Pics would really help with answering this question. The biggest problem with the gen 3s is fitting over the front break calipers.

I’m running -11 with 285/75/16 tires and I had to trim. But nothing crazy

I wouldnt run them without rings. You will most likely get vibration at speed.

110% agree with that. Gen 3 chassis are so stiff and their front and suspension is so sensitive that it is nearly impossible to get your wheels to not shake without them. Even with mine I still get a little bit of vibration but that’s the price of having a stiff lift and bigger tires. When I ran wheels without the hubcentric rings it was nearly unbearable

ChrisCosta416

1. Get hub rings. I ordered mine from https://www.uswheeladapters.com/shop/hub-centric-rings-aluminum/ I got the aluminum ones instead of the Plastic ones.

2. The farther out you go the more stress you will put on suspension components. Stock Gen3 16inch wheels are +45 offset. I am running Tacoma Dark alloy wheels with an offset of +15. A lot of Montero owners run +0 and I would not go out farther then that. However -6 is probably OK.

See my build thread for the wheels I used.

southofantarctica

Brush Dawg
I'm using Toyota +15 wheels as well, but no rings. They came with the Toyota lugs and I haven't had any issues using them, same amount of vibration as the stock wheels. Haven't driven any other Monteros with good tires so it's hard to compare, but the wife doesn't complain and she puts on most of the miles when we're not taking it camping.

SampaGuy

Thank you. I'm getting custom 67.1mm to 110mm hub rings made just in case. They are $80 from Prestige Wheel Accessories.

I will post pics when it's all done and the -6 offset 16x8 wheels are mounted.

ChrisCosta416

Thank you. I'm getting custom 67.1mm to 110mm hub rings made just in case. They are $80 from Prestige Wheel Accessories.

I will post pics when it's all done and the -6 offset 16x8 wheels are mounted.
Are the rings aluminum or plastic?

SampaGuy

Are the rings aluminum or plastic?

Polycarbonate. They said aluminium will oxidize with moisture and fuse to the hub. They also said polycarbonate is what bullet proof glass is made out of. In other words, it's a special plastic.

I figure if my hub gets hot enough for the polycarbonate to melt, I have bigger problems to worry about.

ChrisCosta416

Poly rings will wear and break over time and hard use. You will not have to worry about the aluminium fusing to the hub if you do proper tire rotations.

SampaGuy

Wheels are finally on :) I plasti-dipped them gold. It fits, but definitely had to trim some of the bumper / wheel liners. No rubbing after that.526961526962526963526964526965

Reactions: plh

zneelands

The wheels and tires look great! just to confirm you are running 265/75/r16 tires? They look much bigger than I thought they would

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles