Ordering an F350 - need advice

Jake's_dad

I would wait a year for the 2020 model with 7.3L gas engine. Trying to nurse my 19 year old daily drive along till ordering opens up.
Don't you know wait is a four letter word?

There are several reasons why I don't wait and get a 2020.

I think that the 6.2/6 speed combo has proven itself to be pretty reliable, nobody knows how reliable the new engine and trans will be. Maybe it will, but I don't feel comfortable with it.

Who knows if the new engine will be available as soon as the 2020s are available to order. It could be delayed.

My kids are still young, but times a waisting!

I can get a good deal on a 2019 now. MSRP for the build I listed in the first post is $47765. I am at $37748 after rebates, before TTL.

I also like the grill and headlights on the 2019s better.

Explorerinil

Observer
Don't you know wait is a four letter word?

There are several reasons why I don't wait and get a 2020.

I think that the 6.2/6 speed combo has proven itself to be pretty reliable, nobody knows how reliable the new engine and trans will be. Maybe it will, but I don't feel comfortable with it.

Who knows if the new engine will be available as soon as the 2020s are available to order. It could be delayed.

My kids are still young, but times a waisting!

I can get a good deal on a 2019 now. MSRP for the build I listed in the first post is $47765. I am at $37748 after rebates, before TTL.

I also like the grill and headlights on the 2019s better.
Just order it and get it done! I would never buy any first year engine, your right the current combo is proven and will be fine for you, plus the current deals you are getting you will not get later.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wheel well liners are supposed to make gravel roads quieter. I ordered them on my 2019 but just got delivery, so can't testify to that.

Wheel well liners are awesome! They make it soooooo easy to clean the wheel wells.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I guess I should have been more specific.

You said "The current deals you are getting you will not get later".

Do you know something we all do not know about the pricing being better now than later?

Explorerinil

Observer
I guess I should have been more specific.

You said "The current deals you are getting you will not get later".

Do you know something we all do not know about the pricing being better now than later?
Ok that makes sense, that deal he listed is a very good one. Part of my job at the police department is overseeing a fleet, I purchase and bid squad cars, usually ford gets the bid due to being the cheapest. Ford has given me pricing on 2020’s models that have increased over previous years as allot has changed on the 2020 police suv. With the new super duty design coming out in a couple years, it most likely will cost more, that’s my guess after purchasing vehicles for fleet use.

I’m not an expert nor am I connected with any company, just using my experience.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I really like my electric sliding rear window. When it's hot, I can open it and crack the windows and it evacuates heat like crazy while keeping the cool air from the A/C up front where it belongs.

David_h

When camping with the dog he sleeps in the truck with back seats folded up. Since the camper also a sliding window, having them both open allows him to be part of the action in the camper. In an emergency I thought that I could climbs through the window and start the truck. Pretty sure I can still fit through there but it wouldn’t be pretty and I might pull a muscle.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
When camping with the dog he sleeps in the truck with back seats folded up. Since the camper also a sliding window, having them both open allows him to be part of the action in the camper. In an emergency I thought that I could climbs through the window and start the truck. Pretty sure I can still fit through there but it wouldn’t be pretty and I might pull a muscle.
I think that if you are referring to the sliding rear windows on the current Ford trucks, you'd have to be a miniature contortionist to fit through them.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Thanks for all the replys!

I think I am going with the 4.30s and remote start for sure.

I can get the skid plates without getting the FX4 package for $100 so I think I will do that and save the extra money to add to the aftermarket shock/wheel/tire savings account:)

FX4 also gets you the locking rear diff vs open

Jake's_dad

FX4 also gets you the locking rear diff vs open
When you order the FX4 package, it requires you to get the locking diff and the 275/70R18 AT tires, so the total cost for FX4 is $1055.

I only want the skid plates and the locking diff so it only costs me $100 for the skid plates and $390 for the locking diff.

Jake's_dad

Wheel well liners are supposed to make gravel roads quieter. I ordered them on my 2019 but just got delivery, so can't testify to that.
Wheel well liners are awesome! They make it soooooo easy to clean the wheel wells.
Wheel well liners are something I can easily add later, I just need to research which are better, the factory ones or the Husky ones.

I will have plenty of time to figure out that kind of stuff while the truck is being built.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wheel well liners are something I can easily add later, I just need to research which are better, the factory ones or the Husky ones.

I will have plenty of time to figure out that kind of stuff while the truck is being built.

The differences between them are miniscule. Just search on Amazon for a used set and you can get them for like 50-75.00. Mine had never been installed, but the box was pretty badly damaged.

Jake's_dad

Thought I would update this thread. Ordered the truck on 5/6, truck showed up at the dealer on 6/24. haven't done too much with it yet. Added mud flaps, Raptor running boards, 285/75R18 Cooper AT3s on the stock wheels (funny how 35" tires still look small on these trucks) and Torklift camper frame mounts in addition to a few other small things. attached are photos of it stock and how it sits today. I also attached a photo of the payload sticker, 2 tons of payload on a one ton truck, not too bad. Thanks for everyone's input on this thread, I am pretty happy with the decisions I made when I ordered the truck.stock.jpg7-26-19.jpgIMG_20190711_085340246.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles