Best cooler for a 3 week trip?

Superduty

Adventurer
If you are willing to spend $400 on a cooler, save a bit more and get a fridge. I couldn't understand why anyone would need or want a fridge. I had used a cooler for 25 years. I bought a fridge and now I totally understand.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
If you are willing to spend $400 on a cooler, save a bit more and get a fridge. I couldn't understand why anyone would need or want a fridge. I had used a cooler for 25 years. I bought a fridge and now I totally understand.
Same here, I avoided it for years, then had power coolers which I was happy with until someone stole it then I bought the ARB 47 and it has saved my *** a couple of times when the house freezer stopped working, The food was saved and I sorted the house hold freezer, Not a thing I visioned I'd be doing at 01:30 in the morning.

Best thing about a fridge they can be used for trips away and BBQ's or as and overflow fridge at home and many other things too.

perterra

Adventurer
most modern coolers will work

the YETI was the original multi-day solution butt there are A LOT of equally good quality clones out there now

i use a 2-cooler system that works quite well in extreme heat conditions(South Texas in June, West Texas in August)

one cooler(usually my YETI) keeps stuff that wont need accessing more than once daily(early morning organizing) along w/ extra ice

the 2nd cooler(most often an IGLOO) is for stuff like liquids(less expensive and other easily replaced items) that will be needed several times/day

the extra ice in #1 gets shared w/ #2 each day when it gets opened

the YETI's are quite heavy as are the clones so i like 2 smaller coolers better than one large one

this method was learned from some sailors who do some extreme condition cruising

T

Minor point, but Yeti actually took the idea from Australia. I think the first "super" cool I ever saw was around 2000 on a guides boat in Florida. It was either an Engel or an Icey Tek. But Yeti by far has the best name recognition.

GregSplett

Adventurer
The Op did not ask for the Fridge snobs to poke their self-righteous heads up and insinuate that your an idiot if you do not get a thousand dollar fridge. This ******** is what sucks about forums these days.

hemifoot

Observer
With canned goods and dehydrated meals you should be fine. Dry Ice would be helpful but I don't think dry ice is available in Canada.
When I was traveling through Canada to Alaska there was not any dry ice .
huh?? you didn't look very hard,if at all.

Last edited:

hemifoot

Observer
I own half a dozen Yetis. If I'm going overnight in the truck, my fridge is coming along. Your comment doesn't make any sense. Ice takes more money, time, and space than using the fridge you own. You also have to double pack your food so it doesn't get wet as the ice melts. What a PITA. Give me one reason to use a cooler rather than the fridge on an overnight trip. Just one.
ok,here's one.freeze some milk jugs full of water,no wet food and infinitely reuseable.i've been doing that with my coleman etreme for years.saves me the cost of a fridge.takes up too much room?how much food do you need for an overnight?

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

hemifoot

Observer
right off the top of my head,praxair in downtown vancouver.i call bull.nobody knows what dry ice is?? really.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
ok,here's one.freeze some milk jugs full of water,no wet food and infinitely reuseable.i've been doing that with my coleman etreme for years.saves me the cost of a fridge.takes up too much room?how much food do you need for an overnight?
That's the whole point, For a cooler to match the same amount of space as a fridge inside the Cooler will have to be 35% bigger maybe more than a fridge,

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The Op did not ask for the Fridge snobs to poke their self-righteous heads up and insinuate that your an idiot if you do not get a thousand dollar fridge. This **** is what sucks about forums these days.
I can tell you can't afford one straight off,, A person does not have to spend a 1000 bucks to own a fridge,

There is nothing Snobbish about owning a fridge, The guy needs to know about ALL possible options that are available to him and what ever he decides on it has to be cost effective and suit his way of doing things,

before I bought my Fridge I was quite happy using my peltier 12v Cooler until some clown stole it, but that was back in 2014/2015, But I have wanted to buy one since 1985 but never got round to it for some reason, I saved every penny by not going out or Drinking or wasting money on other stuff, Haven't even had a holiday since 2006, Just like the next Guy I busted a Gut to buy mine so Your comments are not needed, But Since Owning one it has saved me a fair bit of money with not having to buy Ice and on a couple of times when the house freezer threw in the Towel It even managed to save the food,

If you can't afford one that no reason to start taking shots at people who have them Or derail a this thread with your hate speech.

hemifoot

Observer
That's the whole point, For a cooler to match the same amount of space as a fridge inside the Cooler will have to be 35% bigger maybe more than a fridge,
and yet millions of people get by every day with a plain old cooler.and if you pay for ice that's your own stupidity.i just explained how to avoid it.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
and yet millions of people get by every day with a plain old cooler.and if you pay for ice that's your own stupidity.i just explained how to avoid it.
I use to make my own Ice using milk containers, Now I have a heap of those Blue Ice bricks, Must have about 24 of them, I also use them to fill the dead space in the fridge, And I have about 9 12x7"x 1/2" ones that I line the bottom of the cooler with and also put some around the inside plus I got at lease 15 7x3x1" to mix in with the food, Good thing about having a fridge is I can re-freezer them while on the move.

Back in Aus ya have a good choice of coolers ( Eski's ) to choose from but in the UK it is impossible just about to find top quality coolers.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I don't pay for Ice, I have never ever bought One bag of Ice, I have always used frozen milk jugs or the Blue Ice bricks, The point I was making is that to have the equal amount of inside space as a fridge you would need a cooler at leased 35% bigger to allow room for either Ice, or Milk Jugs or blue Ice bricks, Because either way you are going to need the extra room to allow for what ever you use to keep things cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles