Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

garrett93

Observer
Question. For those that have the max-coupler hitch to tow the scout... CU Offroad said most are ordering the 18XL ( Part # 235 ). Are you all ordering that or just the original (Part # 100-5)?

bobebm

I went just the opposite. I bought the extended version because i carry a spare tire in the back and realize the extension is on the trailer side, not the jeep side. It was not going to allow me to open the back door and sent it back and got the shorty.

Kraxler

The last pic shows the bottom with the extra rails to support the overhang. Smittybuilt sent them for free.
Had an issue closing the tent with a mattress topper . It ensue being too thick. Trying to decide if I'll just use the topper without the included mattress, just use the mattress or mattress with a thinner topper. Wife and I will try the mattress in the house tonight to see if it works.

thardin68

Some pics of the trailer with the Smittybuilt XL RTT.
Thanks for the pictures! Nice hook-up on the additional supports. Bummer on the mattress topper, we were planning to go with a 3" topper, looks like that is a no go.....

I am planning to extend the rack height a bit to allow some additional clearance for things I will need under the tent (Also planning to add some support for the larger tent). Can you tell me what size tires you are running and how much higher you feel the tent could be and still allow the Annex floor to be on the ground? Just trying to see if there is any room to plan to go up a little more than the options as delivered. I'm also 6'5" tall and want to get it as high as we can.

TIA

Last edited:

T-Rey1

Adventurer
The last pic shows the bottom with the extra rails to support the overhang. Smittybuilt sent them for free.
Had an issue closing the tent with a mattress topper . It ensue being too thick. Trying to decide if I'll just use the topper without the included mattress, just use the mattress or mattress with a thinner topper. Wife and I will try the mattress in the house tonight to see if it works.

What did you have to do to get them for free? I asked and they sent me a link to buy them

Grak

Hey all. I've been eyeballing this trailer pretty hard. But what do you think happened in this image? And does SB's tongue reinforcement take care of whatever broke here?

Attachments

• ouch.jpg
    ouch.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 63

thardin68

Updates as I heard from talking to one of the smitty guys

Front plate welded under the hitch is beefier, it goes back a few more inches and ties into the first cross bar on the tongue along the bottom. Also has a center spine that runs to the first main cross member on the box and tongue attaches to that with a M16 hardware. Reinforcement gussets along bottom of the tongue where it starts to taper down at a 35° angle.

Side sliders are 75kg and rears are 100kg but they still are giving them the same advertised capacity for a safety factor.

Body and sheet metal are cold rolled, e-coated and then powder coated. The frame and tubular parts including trailing arms and tongue are DOM hot dipped galvanized after welding, e-coated then powder coated.

They will also have a vin and mco for easier registration / titling process.

This is from XJOverlander a few pages back. He builds many of these I believe and seems to have decent communication with SB.

If you are planning to order a new unit, I believe these improvements are supposed to be included. I hope so anyway, for the cost increase.

If you buy one used, I would assume you might have to address the issue. Its an easy fix. The supports SB sent out I perceive as a reinforcement that they could mail out to have you install. My recommendation if grabbing an older model, would be to simply weld some reinforcing in there.

I understand the issue was limited to a specific "run" of the old version and there is a ton of info in this thread to indicate if you are going to have issues or not.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
With possible delivery sometime the end of May ,I'm sure that will impact a lot of people's travel plans. I know it will mine. I was hoping to be on the road before then.

Kraxler

What did you have to do to get them for free? I asked and they sent me a link to buy them
I just emailed smittybilt and ask. I'll look if I can find the exact individual I emailed. They sent the rails and some iPod the mounting brackets.

T-Rey1

Adventurer
I just emailed smittybilt and ask. I'll look if I can find the exact individual I emailed. They sent the rails and some iPod the mounting brackets.

Thanks. I was hoping they would send some, but they didn't. When I got my XL tent they sent the cover for the regular overland tent. Email with pics and purchase info and I had the correct cover within a week.

rgoldey

Resized @ 25%.......
View attachment 440718
View attachment 440719View attachment 440720
View attachment 440721View attachment 440722View attachment 440723

I simply took off the smitty logo side cover and put it on the inside. I sat the new box on the fender, and drilled from the inside of the smitty, utilizing the 3 holes used for the smitty cover, then used the same hardware and sat the box down after laying a bead of silicone on the fender, and on the back of the box. Torqued it back, and the side and fender is now stiffer.
Did you have to remove the top eyebolt hooks? It's looking like I will, or maybe I can grind a bit off the front... I'm about 1/4" from being flush to the side...

thardin68

Did you have to remove the top eyebolt hooks? It's looking like I will, or maybe I can grind a bit off the front... I'm about 1/4" from being flush to the side...
Hey, while you are working on this, I was wondering if you could do me a favor. I need the dimension from the Generator door to the Rear door hinge (inside dimension). Trying to see the maximum size box I can fit between.

I'm "planning" while you are "doing", lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles