Gnarvan AWD Express build.

06xpressAWD

Haven't been back here to update this for a bit. I finished a ton of electrical work adding stereo, backup camera, seat heaters, trailer wiring, trailer brake controller, and fog lights. Cut down passenger seat base and added seat swivel. Frenched fog lights into the factory chrome bumper and pie cut out the ends near the front tires. Painted the bumpers and grill black. I just got back from having wheels and tires installed, I went with 275/70-R18 BFG AT KO2s (33.2" x 10.9") on 18x9 wheels. I have a lot more pictures and details on the Sportsmobile forum build thread.
View attachment 296522
View attachment 296524
View attachment 296525
View attachment 296526
View attachment 296527
View attachment 296528
View attachment 296529
View attachment 296530
How big of a lift did you need to fit 33"s, And what's your offset on wheels? Trying to figure out what works on sliding door?

TeleSteve

Adventurer
How big of a lift did you need to fit 33"s, And what's your offset on wheels? Trying to figure out what works on sliding door?
I have a 5" lift (3" suspension and 2" body lift) I am running 25mm offset wheels, but have 1" wheel spacers so essentially a 0mm offset wheel. I have barn style doors, I don't think my wheel setup would work with an unmodified slider door (especially with a factory inside door panel).

kntr

Observer
I can't decide on a 1" or 2" body lift. How are you liking the 2" now that you've had it awhile?

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I can't decide on a 1" or 2" body lift. How are you liking the 2" now that you've had it awhile?
I have no issues with the body lift. If you are going to go through all the work I would go for the 2" its the same amount of work.
Every so often I get the bug to go bigger and build a suspension lift, but for what I use the van for it there really is no advantage to go bigger except looks.

kntr

Observer
I have no issues with the body lift. If you are going to go through all the work I would go for the 2" its the same amount of work.
Every so often I get the bug to go bigger and build a suspension lift, but for what I use the van for it there really is no advantage to go bigger except looks.

No steering column mods with 1" from what Ive heard.

TeleSteve

Adventurer
So Ive decided on a 1" body lift. What kit should I use?
As far as I know there is no complete body lift kit available. I bought the spacers individually off ebay and then ordered 2" longer bolts (1" in your case) from McMaster. You will have to work out the fan to shroud clearance. I lowered the bottom half of the shroud with 1x2 rectangular aluminum tube (1x1 in your case) and longer bolts. It did require a little minor shroud trimming around the frame.

TheFirstCause

I've searched through the thread but can't find an answer unless I missed something. How much of an extension did you need to make on the intermediate steering shaft that you welded? Did you space it out 2 inches or use some of the telescoping action? Also, what did you use for the sleeve? I'm about to do this myself and this is the last piece of the puzzle for me. =)

TeleSteve

Adventurer
I've searched through the thread but can't find an answer unless I missed something. How much of an extension did you need to make on the intermediate steering shaft that you welded? Did you space it out 2 inches or use some of the telescoping action? Also, what did you use for the sleeve? I'm about to do this myself and this is the last piece of the puzzle for me. =)
I added two inches using a DOM steel tube as a sleeve. I cant recall the size, but the ID was roughly the size of the steering shaft. I recall having to machine the inside slightly to make it fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles