Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Question about your coilovers up front. What spring rate and length did you use? A wild guess would be 14" springs with 500lbs/in?

8" of travel with 400lb springs. They are the ones that WFO Concepts spec out for their SAS kits. I drove Trevor's truck (owner of WFO) and they were amazing, so I figured why try and figure it out when I knew how these worked. So far, they are great and I am very pleased with them.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Didn’t realize it had been so long since I posted here. I’ll give the short version. Got the truck back and we headed south. Crossed into Baja and took our time heading south. Made it to Guerrero Negro and got a call from my sister letting me know that my mother wasn’t doing well. We turned around and headed north towards Tucson. I have a friend there that we could leave the truck with. We flew home and unfortunately my mother passed away. ?.

After spending time with my family; we flew back to Tucson and picked up the truck. We headed south again and crossed into mainland Mexico. We spent time in Bahía de Kino before traveling north east into the mountains east of Hermosillo. We worked our way over the mountains to Basaseachic Falls and then to Copper Canyon. We had a failure of our Truma heater/water heater and you guessed it, had to return to the states to get it replaced. We are north of Phoenix and are going to meet up with my wife’s family at the Grand Canyon in a week. After that, we will head back south.

Time for some of the pics.
Punta China on the west coast of Baja
IMG_0142-4K.jpg

I’ll add some more photos in a bit.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I finally got near some wifi to be able to post more pics.

Continuing with Baja and the Pacific side:
This is the view out of our kitchen window from the pic above.
IMG_0148-L.jpg

Of course it came with a great sunset.
IMG_0152-L.jpg

The desert was in bloom and very green.
IMG_0151-L.jpg

IMG_0155-L.jpg

Snow in Baja??
IMG_0159-L.jpg

Had to get lunch at Mama Espinosa's.
IMG_0169-L.jpg

One of our remote camps, not a soul in sight and yeah it was time to do some laundry.
IMG_0171-L.jpg

Jack

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Continued.

Saw this guy on one of the back roads.
IMG_0165-L.jpg

That was on our way back north.

Once we were back from visiting my family, we continued into mainland Mexico and headed for the Sea of Cortez.
We stayed in an RV park in Bahia de Kino. Sometimes you have to suffer... But at least we met some great people and had a big dinner together.
IMG_0216-L.jpg

It wasn't all bad, we had a great view out of the back door.
IMG_0234-L.jpg

And a great sunset.
IMG_0224-L.jpg

Found some missions.
IMG_0211-L.jpg

IMG_0212-L.jpg

Some waterfalls
IMG_0247-L.jpg

IMG_0255-L.jpg

Copper Canyon
IMG_0259-L.jpg

IMG_0261-L.jpg

That was it for the fun stuff as our Truma Combi unit failed and we had to figure out what to do, so we headed for Chihuahua and made contact with Truma.

We got the unit replaced in Phoenix and going to be in Arizona for a week or two to make sure everything is working correctly.

Jack

Fren

Thank you, this whole write up has been an absolute joy to read. Love how you explain the upgrade and why it was done. Been looking at campers on flatbeds, what sold you on the bundatech. I thought FWC were plush...thank you again, journey not the destination.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thank you, this whole write up has been an absolute joy to read. Love how you explain the upgrade and why it was done. Been looking at campers on flatbeds, what sold you on the bundatech. I thought FWC were plush...thank you again, journey not the destination.

Thank you and I tried to explain my reasoning (for the most part :D). I ended up choosing the Bundutec because it was the best fit for our needs. I had started the process of building my own camper (chassis mounted) and realized that I had neither the time, place, or really the skill. I reached out to a couple of the camper manufacturers for estimates and was absolutely blown away by the quotes I received. We decided that a flatbed was the easiest way to get close to what we wanted. Bundutec had a basic layout that we liked and were willing to make the adjustments we wanted at a price that was very reasonable. We realized that we could continue to chase our version of perfection or accept some compromise(s) and be on the road traveling instead with the money and time saved. There has been some issues that have come up regarding the camper, but Rory has worked with us to address them.

Jack

This is the route I'll be going eventually. Full size truck with a pop up camper.

Right now I have a 2013 Frontier CC with a four wheel camper swift. It's fine for three of us, but we're expecting another one next month.

I love your build and thanks for the inspiration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles