RAM 3500 MegaCab Cummins/Aisin AEV XL on 40"s with iKAMPER RTT

CTDJeeperman

Today I ordered an Eaton E locker for the front and Nitro 11.8” 4.56 gears. I’m still torn on what to do with the rear, either keep factory LSD or get a Detroit True Trac. Thoughts?

txflyyaker

Observer
Today I ordered an Eaton E locker for the front and Nitro 11.8” 4.56 gears. I’m still torn on what to do with the rear, either keep factory LSD or get a Detroit True Trac. Thoughts?
IMO there is not a big enough difference between stock LSD and TT to make the change.

blakeape

Adventurer
I am saving up and collecting parts for a Ujoint off road 4wd Conversion on my 1998 7.3 E350 van. I am thinking 4.56 gears front and rear e locker front. I was going to do the trutrac rear until today when my neighbor generously pulled me out of a snow bank today. He has a 2001 fummins on 40’s rear trutrac, but once he got twisted up in the rear it was only spinning one rear tire. I was very unimpressed I’m going selectable or Detroit in my van front and rear

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I am saving up and collecting parts for a Ujoint off road 4wd Conversion on my 1998 7.3 E350 van. I am thinking 4.56 gears front and rear e locker front. I was going to do the trutrac rear until today when my neighbor generously pulled me out of a snow bank today. He has a 2001 fummins on 40’s rear trutrac, but once he got twisted up in the rear it was only spinning one rear tire. I was very unimpressed I’m going selectable or Detroit in my van front and rear

to be fair, I bet that truetrac can't handle the weight of 40's

CTDJeeperman

I decided to go with an Elocker in the front and keep the factory LSD. I went with Nitro 4.56 gears (the new 11.8" cut). I'm very happy with the gears and haven't needed the locker yet. I think the 4.56 ratio is perfect for these trucks on 40"s or bigger. I also added the PSC Hydraulic Steering Ram and box, that made a night and day difference.

Also I just got back from Moab and the White Rim Trail for a week. What an epic adventure, lots of pics to follow soon.

510982 510983

Last edited:

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’d also like to know that. And did you have the power to the E-locker run to one of the factory AUX switches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CTDJeeperman

The locker was installed by a shop in Vegas, it was so simple for the install in conjunction with gears they didn’t charge me. A hole for the wiring was drilled through the top of the diff housing. The wiring has 4 wires, one ground, one 12V+, and two for a light of locked or not. I just have a basic switch, I had to make my own basic harness since I don’t have aux switches. The locker was @ $900 from just differentials

Bottom Line anyone with basic automotive knowledge could wire one of these things together.

CTDJeeperman

Just curious why you went with the 3500 vs 2500 for the prospector? Truck looks great btw!

I went with a 3500 because I wanted as much payload capacity as possible, leaf springs (instead of coils), and most importantly the Aisin transmission. The diesel/2500 are already so heavy that payload is limited. I wanted to keep the future option of a hard side camper, I’m really eyeing the Cirrus 720 with a custom paint job/wrap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles