Ordering an F350 - need advice

Jake's_dad

We are getting ready to order a new crew cab long box F350 with the 6.2L gas engine and need some advice on gearing and options.

We plan on getting a lightweight truck camper and might also tow a small boat behind on occasion. This truck will also be my daily driver. It will probably

As I started to write this, I pretty much convinced myself to order the truck with 4.30 gears over the 3.73 and go with 285/75R18 (almost 35") tires over the stock size 275/70R18 (33") tires. The 33" tires just look tiny on these trucks.

Gas mileage isn't my biggest concern, but any idea how much I might be giving up with this combo?

This is what we are thinking of ordering;

F350 XL CCLB 4X4 with:
Power equipment pkg - power windows, door locks, etc.
STX pkg - 18"alum wheels, chrome grill & bumpers, cruise
Camper pkg - stiffer front springs, rear sway bar
Trailer tow pkg
Upfitter switches
Tailgate step
Sync 3 with ultimate trailer tow camera (360 degree camera) and satellite radio
Locking rear diff
Vinyl seats, no carpet

Anything you think we are missing?

Anything you think we can really do without?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Richard

Explorerinil

Observer
Sounds like a good set up. Personally I would opt for cheaper rims as I would swap them out anyway. If your not planning on swapping them out then your fine. Do you want remote start and sliding rear window? Sometimes that sliding window can come in handy.

Superduty

Adventurer
You forgot the diesel engine and carpet. Just kidding. Sounds like a good, not too many frills, set up. Remote start is a great feature, especially if you are in cold or very hot climate.

Adventurous

Explorer
I'd second getting the cheapest wheels you can and swapping them out later. Often times you need a rim with less back spacing when moving to larger tires.

Another thing to consider may be a higher output or dual alternators. Not sure how many batteries your truck camper will have, but the more juice you can squeeze the better.

Jake's_dad

Sounds like a good set up. Personally I would opt for cheaper rims as I would swap them out anyway. If your not planning on swapping them out then your fine. Do you want remote start and sliding rear window? Sometimes that sliding window can come in handy.
Currently Ford has an extra $1000 rebate on the STX pkg with the aluminum rims, so it actually costs less than the value pkg with the steel rims.

The truck will be parked in the garage when the camper is not on it, but it still might be handy to have remote start for times when it's parked outside, camping in the cold, etc. I might add that.

Never owned a truck with a sliding rear window, can you give me some examples of when it comes in handy?

Thanks,

Explorerinil

Observer
Currently Ford has an extra $1000 rebate on the STX pkg with the aluminum rims, so it actually costs less than the value pkg with the steel rims.

The truck will be parked in the garage when the camper is not on it, but it still might be handy to have remote start for times when it's parked outside, camping in the cold, etc. I might add that.

Never owned a truck with a sliding rear window, can you give me some examples of when it comes in handy?

Thanks,
Ok so if you ever put a topper on it, it’s handy to be able to access the topper from inside the cab, espically if you sleep in the topper. Also, if you go to a store and buy a long piece of lumber and have a short drive, it’s nice to slide the window and let it hang in the cab. On hot days if you have the windows down it also helps circulation.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I ain't putting lumber through my rear window of a brand new truck!

Sounds like a good setup. 99% of the warranty issues are the upscale models and all the plastic junk they add to them. Remote start would be nice, but my truck is warmed up by the time I get the FEET of snow brushed off my hood and wipers. I'd still go Fx4 to get the skid plates.

You're not going to lose any mileage with 4.30 gears. I get 15mpg at 80mph on flat ground with 3.73's. Don't fear the gear. Might even be better mileage loaded. Less locking out of 6th gear. I'll be swapping to 4.56 or 4.88 eventually.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I would wait a year for the 2020 model with 7.3L gas engine. Trying to nurse my 19 year old daily drive along till ordering opens up.

I'd be tempted as well. But small camper and small boat, still makes the 6.2l the best choice for a couple more years.

D

Deleted member 9101

If you wait for the 2010 model year, you can get the 6.2 with a 10 speed.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
You're not going to lose any mileage with 4.30 gears. I get 15mpg at 80mph on flat ground with 3.73's. Don't fear the gear. Might even be better mileage loaded. Less locking out of 6th gear. I'll be swapping to 4.56 or 4.88 eventually.

^ This.

After driving my E350 4x4 conversion for a couple years with 3.73 gears I got tired of the tranny shifting out of overdrive every time it saw a hill. Plus, I drive a lot of dirt roads and the shift point on the tranny from 4th to 5th (5 speed Torkshift) was 45 mph, the same as I drive most good dirt roads so the tranny was always shifting in and out of OD which is not good. After talking with the leading 4x4 shop in the area they convinced me to go to 4.56 gears. Probably the best mod I've done to the van. Much improved driveability and no longer is the tranny constantly shifting between direct and overdrive. Bonus: I was getting 12 mpg with the 3.73 gears - and I'm still getting 12 mpg with the 4.56. Only the engine and transmission are a lot happier.

Halligan

Adventurer
While the 7.3 gasser may not be something you need the 10 speed transmission may be worth the wait especially if fuel consumption concerns you.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Personally I have no need for the sliding rear window. I know Ford was having an issue with them shattering when the defroster turned on. Happened to my father in law. I guess it only affected trucks with sliders. Not sure if Ford fixed the issue yet.

I'd go with the 4:30's. Maybe option the heavy duty alternator and add the dual battery group if the camper will be hooked up to the truck?

Rest looks good. You'll love the tailgate step. I know I love mine!

mrfoamy

Mrfoamy
Wheel well liners are supposed to make gravel roads quieter. I ordered them on my 2019 but just got delivery, so can't testify to that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles