Unit mounting - din plates

Chorky

Observer
Anyone ever come across din mounting plates? My local car stereo place doesn't have what would work and google seems to be failing me at the moment. I don't care for the factory supplied brackets. Look kinda cheesy to me, and something more 'police' style would be harder to steel too. Have a President McKinley (normal DIN size supposedly) and Midland MXT 400. Working on making a custom box for radios and other items, but the DIN plates are above my fab skills. Something like this, but the right size, is what I'm after.

UPDATE: this might work for the CB (https://www.wearecb.com/in-dash-cb-radio-mount.html) - but no luck for the GMRS, hoping someone might have run across something.

Billoftt

I don't know of anything for specific radio models. However, try thingverse.com for some 3d printer files, somebody may have made one already.

Also, when dash mounting a radio like that, be mindful of heat build up.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Chorky

Observer
I was wondering about that...do the GMRS units put off a lot of heat? Never used one before honestly, but my old CB was always pretty cool temp wise. I was going to keep the box on the back side open for air flow, and not too closed around any radio, but I'm sure 4 radios in a box 1'h x 8"w x 1.5'd might get warm?

Billoftt

CB is 4 watts so it isn't going to have much waste heat. A 50 watt 2m, 70cm or GMRS rig will have quite a bit more at that power.

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Also, when dash mounting a radio like that, be mindful of heat build up.
Public service radio often only have the face panel or control head mounted in the console with the body remote located just for this reason.
CB is 4 watts so it isn't going to have much waste heat. A 50 watt 2m, 70cm or GMRS rig will have quite a bit more at that power.
You wouldn't think so but it can.

A radio may be dissipating 4 watts but there can be considerable difference in radiated and consumed power. My CB on TX actually draws about 9 watts, so there's 5 watts of heat generated. This 2-to-1 is actually pretty common, a 50 watt mobile draws in many cases about 8 to 10 amps, so you're seeing therefore on the order of 50 watts of heat.

Regardless of the actual amount of heat generated the point I was going to make is even just 5 watts of heat when put in an enclosed space with poor or no air circulation and then use a high duty cycle, you can raise the ambient temperature pretty quickly.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
There are different mountings for the various Midland models.

Ebay UK lists several - fitting them is not difficult.

I had a Sant Fe with a single DIN Pioneer and a Midland CB and it worked well. Never heat problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles