BigSek 2003 G500 Build Thread

BigSek

Now that the first couple of Mods have finally been completed I figured she's worthy of a little build thread. Excited to continue the progression into overland duty. Always been a Toyota guy and will likely end up back in an LC down the road, I just couldn't get the idea of a G Wagen Overland build out of my head.

2003 G500

A couple pics from the trip home:

She Performed beautifully on the 1250 mile trip home. They get such a bad rep for their on road performance, I went in with extremely low expectations. While the fuel economy was nothing to write home about I was really impressed with how solid and planted it felt even at a couple of extended 85ish mph stints. All in all I wont hesitate to put in some long highway miles in the future.

First Mods:
  • Remove Remove Running Boards
  • Mount 275/70/r18 KO2s

Overall stoked with the new stance. No significant sacrifices in on road performance felt yet. Was worried the tires would look over-sized without a bit of a lift but I'm now kind of digging the way she currently sits. No rubbing issues yet on the street, we'll see how it fairs on the trails once the snow melts. Excited to get a good off road shakedown in then continue the build.

Metric

Welcome to the party. I think the trucks handle really well on long drives. When handling starts to suffer it’s a sign that maintenance has been delayed. Usually it’s wheel imbalance, work suspension bushings or worn steering joints. Pretty easy to address all those things.

BigSek

Agreed Metric, it's been refreshing how simple most of the mechanics are. Expensive parts for sure but everything is relatively straightforward. Just hoping to stay lucky on the electronics side of things.

BigSek

Added the gwagenaccessories spare tire cover. Super slick solution to the exposed rear tire that the OEM cover no longer fits on. Love the look and added storage. Torn on whether to paint it body color or leave as is.

Before:

After:

Metric

Beautiful scenery. I was fortunate enough to spend a part of my college career in CO. Those trails never get old.

Have you experienced any ESP issues since you installed the larger tires?

BigSek

Thanks, I've only been out here for a couple years now and love it. Spring can't get here quick enough to melt a little of the crazy snowfall we got this year. Excited to get to more trails.

I didn't have esp issues at all in normal city/highway driving after getting the new tires on. I finally put it through the true test on the way to those trails above; on exceptionally twisty mountain roads at a good pace I had some unnecessary engagements. It seems to be greatly exaggerated when there is any uphill or especially downhill grade. I must admit it was quite annoying. I Haven't changed the diff settings to help compensate yet, but expected I'd have to eventually. I wanted to get a baseline of how bad it was before changing any settings. I still plan on a 50mm lift so I'll probably hold off on changing anything till then.

MitsyMonty

Have you changed the tire profile setting in the G's star diagnostics menu? this will adjust the ESP, speedo, etc for the proper tire size.

Bravo30

nice looking truck. we're right around the same place as far as mods go except i havent removed the running boards yet. I went with KM3's 275/70/R18

BigSek

Have you changed the tire profile setting in the G's star diagnostics menu? this will adjust the ESP, speedo, etc for the proper tire size.

Not yet, wanted to test the waters and see how bad it was without; will definitely change the settings next time it's in the shop. I've read that it makes a big difference, how has it worked out for you?

nice looking truck. we're right around the same place as far as mods go except i havent removed the running boards yet. I went with KM3's 275/70/R18

Love the look of your truck and the KM3's! Was definitely a tough decision between the two when I bit the bullet on the K02's.

Glenn C.

Travels in Wolnośc
I have run the KO2's on my FUSO Earthcruiser here in CO for 2 winters and they are outstanding in the snow, we go over the I70 passes almost every week to ski. Last weekend (6/2) I was doing some FS roads in Wyoming and ran into areas with up to 2' of snow and no problems. I am closely following your build because I am considering a G for trail rig here in Colorado.

SSG

Hello,

Beautiful G Wagon! I am considering getting a G Wagon for overlanding. Is there anyway to extend the fuel range, it is my only concern about getting one. I don't care about the MPGs but the range is my concern, anyway to get a bigger fuel tank or an aux tank?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles