Barn Door for JK factory hardtops

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Does that work in both the JK/TJ?
Are you asking about the Trail Kitchen?

It's installed with no drilling in the Jeep in my LJ, and there's 15" between the front of the kitchen and the back of the seats... 15" is the difference in length between the LJ and the TJ, so yes, it should fit in the TJ. I expect it to fit in the JK 2dr as well and I'll be testing that in a week or so in the 2dr I recently added to the fleet.

Zeep

Adventurer
Are you asking about the Trail Kitchen?

It's installed with no drilling in the Jeep in my LJ, and there's 15" between the front of the kitchen and the back of the seats... 15" is the difference in length between the LJ and the TJ, so yes, it should fit in the TJ. I expect it to fit in the JK 2dr as well and I'll be testing that in a week or so in the 2dr I recently added to the fleet.

Yes, the trail kitchen. I have a '05 LJ.
Forgive me, but, what is used to hold the unit in place? Since it is no drill.
How long does it take to remove, or install?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yes, the trail kitchen. I have a '05 LJ.
Forgive me, but, what is used to hold the unit in place? Since it is no drill.
How long does it take to remove, or install?
It's two bolts, into threaded factory holes. It uses the bolt in the center that holds the seat belt buckles, and one of the bolts on the side that holds rear seat bracket. Since I don't keep the back seat in my Jeep, installing/removing the kitchen takes just a few minutes. If you keep the back seat in, you'd have to pull that, unbolt the center seat belts and remove the driver's side seat bracket (4 bolts) before you could install the kitchen. Either way it doesn't take long.

Zeep

Adventurer
I'm seriously considering this unit. However, with all the overtime I'm forced to work currently, I'll never get to enjoy it. At least not any time soon!
Like yourself, I removed my rear seat, and belts years ago.
If possible, when you return home, could you post a photo of how it stores while not installed?

Thanks again!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I'm seriously considering this unit. However, with all the overtime I'm forced to work currently, I'll never get to enjoy it. At least not any time soon!
Like yourself, I removed my rear seat, and belts years ago.
If possible, when you return home, could you post a photo of how it stores while not installed?

Thanks again!
The base kitchen, without the fridge on it, is less than 17" wide x 24" deep x 6" high, and could be stored standing vertically so it only takes up 6" out from the wall. If the Molle panel is installed, that sticks up maybe 15" on one side, but by removing two bolts that panel can be swing down flat, adding less than an inch to the 6" in height for storage. The enclosure and drawer unit, which have not been released yet, will take up more storage space than the base kitchen.

Bobzdar

Observer
The biggest issue with it, for me, is the weight. It's pretty heavy so kind of awkward to move around. Otherwise it's super easy to put in and take out (JLUR).

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The biggest issue with it, for me, is the weight. It's pretty heavy so kind of awkward to move around. Otherwise it's super easy to put in and take out (JLUR).
the production version is a bit heavier than my initial prototype, but it is very sturdy. I put it through all kinds of abuse on the trails last week at Easter Jeep Safari and all parts of the kitchen performed without any problems whatsoever.

Obstacle2a_zps9ljxifx6.jpg

Obstacle2c_zpsr9oiym4e.jpg

KlondikeBluffs2_zpshtdzhkir.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I installed a prototype Saddlebag in the 2-door today. Here's the attachment in action; it's hung to the tub with a zipper and in this video I'm unzipping it, taking it out, replacing it and zipping it back in place. The bag is form-fit to the inner fender of the Jeep.

This bag is heavy canvas with leather accents; I'm told the production bags will be a bit different in detail but use the same materials. This same bag works in the JKU and the LJ with different zipper attachments, in the JKU it fits just behind the rear seat.

Presto88

Adventurer
Hey Jeff! It was great to get a chance to meet you and see these things first-hand in Moab!

I installed my new Morryde rear rack the day before leaving for Moab. It's perfect for holding my MaxTrax and a shovel. Now they'll always be with the Jeep and never in the way! Thanks for recommending it.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Hey Jeff! It was great to get a chance to meet you and see these things first-hand in Moab!

I installed my new Morryde rear rack the day before leaving for Moab. It's perfect for holding my MaxTrax and a shovel. Now they'll always be with the Jeep and never in the way! Thanks for recommending it.

View attachment 512643
Hey Jim,
Great meeting you and talking with you a EJS! Thanks for the photo, looks like a great place to store something that's (hopefully) infrequently used like the MaxTrax.
jeff

Presto88

Adventurer
I used the MaxTrax AND the shovel one time while down there last week. But it was to get somebody else "unstuck"!

I can't tell you how much I like having those items up and out of the way. Thanks Jeff (and Morryde) for making it!

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I used the MaxTrax AND the shovel one time while down there last week. But it was to get somebody else "unstuck"!

I can't tell you how much I like having those items up and out of the way. Thanks Jeff (and Morryde) for making it!

It's one of my favorite designs :). A big favorite at the Easter Jeep Safari Vendor Expo too, lots of people seemed to really like it. Lots of 2dr people said they wanted one too, so this morning I made the necessary brackets to install one in my 2-door for testing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles