Auto Trans ID

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I recall a few guys running it in their 4.3 swapped Monteros.

Rubicon51

Observer
I recall a few guys running it in their 4.3 swapped Monteros.

Anywhere I can find there builds? If I can swap the Monty trans to a 700r4 I can do the tdi. The reason I’m pushing for the tdi is they have just as much power as the 4m40 and the Toyota 1kz and have more parts availability and weight less. And they are capable of 300 hp with a lot of mods of course. More than I will be doing. But I’m researching the 1kz and 4m to find out more about them.

Toasty

Depends on which 1kz, some have unit injectors and need wiring like EFI. That can be side stepped with a 4M40 injection pump swap or older 1kz.
The 4M40 is the plug-n-play engine swap for the 24 valve Montero minus the tacho. The 1kz takes real work like any other engine.

Toasty

If power is the goal why not a VVTi V8? They just have 300hp in nearly the same RPM sweep as the 3.5.

Toasty

I wouldn't go diesel for MPGs, the gain in miles per gallon is way offset by the cost of the diesel swap. Meaning you could buy thousands of dollars worth of gasoline before you start feeling that sweet diesel MPG. Swap a diesel because they're a fun novelty in a Montero, our trucks don't get good MPGs even with an oil burner expect about 20mpg tops.
Also diesels are heavy, that engine weighs almost as much as a 1UZ and still not so much lighter than a 6G74 to even notice. Not trying to talk you out of it, turbo diesels are a blast especially off-road in low range. I'd also really love to see more engine swaps especially cross platform stuff, if you're a serious diesel enthusiast you should definitely do it. If you're really looking for torque and MPG in an offroad machine buy gears instead.

Reactions: plh

SD_Montero

Observer
I have a question lol. I have a 1996 LS and am wondering if the V4AW3 Transmission could handle a 3.8 swap from the endeavor (or whatever). Can it handle more power and how much can it handle? it has 225K on it already but hey oh well. The 24V makes max 177HP so will like 230-250 HP just tear it up?

plh

Explorer
I have a question lol. I have a 1996 LS and am wondering if the V4AW3 Transmission could handle a 3.8 swap from the endeavor (or whatever). Can it handle more power and how much can it handle? it has 225K on it already but hey oh well. The 24V makes max 177HP so will like 230-250 HP just tear it up?

Is your LS a 3.5L?

Toasty

There are 3.5 powered LS models, starting in '97 and maybe late '96 for the '97 year model. The trans will handle the power, this same transmission was used behind the V8 as well. You'll be fine.

Toasty

...it'll still die from old age and milage. Keep good clean fluid in it.

SD_Montero

Observer
Yeah that's the c
Does your truck currently have a V4AW3 ? I was under the impression that the 3.0L was all AW372 (V4AW2/KM148 variation)... I could be mistaken.
Thanks for the replies. Awesomeness. Yes the it has the V4aw3 at least that's what's stamped on the plate. ☺️

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles