Kitchen Kit/Chuck Box

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
That’s good intel aaen.
I gotta ask, was your initial post related to my mentioning the gladiator system? I was under the impression that it was a Mopar accessory but have no idea who manufactures it for them.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
changed to a butane/propane GasOne stove (retired the Svea 123R)... here is a pic of the rearranged cook kit (minus the fry pan, need to decide whether or not to include a small griddle beneath it all);
DSCF0317.JPG

Enjoy!

aaen

Adventurer
Nope, I saw the decked system in the box and figured you were going with one if those. I’ve convinced a few people to go other routes as for a bit more money you can get some stellar systems that’ll meet and exceed your demands and work better .

Really if your not going to put a canopy on your truck the storage systems are useless as you lose the functionality of the bed. That coupled with the ever increasing depth if the beds you have to be an ogre to reach over the side and grab something, which i hate doing. One is better off to go with a bed/cargo slide in those setups, keep in mind though they rattle i had one in my tundra underneath a tonneau cover, loved jt. I had spots setup for scuba diving equipment tie down/etc. Was fantastic if using a vehicle as more of a truck instead of overlanding(ugh i hate that term, and the legion of dorks/morons that come with it because its the cool thing to do now)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TNSG

Ok, after looking at all this pics of peeps having room shortages, I am feeling good about my pullout/drawer idea.
Most excellent posts!

coreman23

So first off I didn't hate the deck system, It was my second choice as frontrunner told me the storage system I wanted wouldn't fit in my truck, only to find out after buying the decked system it would. I decided to stick with the decked as I didn't want to be forking money out twice, really three times(explained below), after 6 months I got ride of the system, as it just wasn't working for me and I was getting annoyed with it. Note there are a lot of negative reviews out there on it, use to be some on the decked site, but they removed the comments, same as blue ridge overland does. so keep that in mind when reviewing the comment on stores websites.

It’s funny you mention that, because I do remember reading negative reviews about warping and can’t find those now. Kind of a bummer, as it looks to be a great system. Thank you for your honest review.

Do you have pics of your setup? I’d like other options, I was going to go with decked then a shell, but I may reconsider that now.

aaen

Adventurer
hmm, I'll see if I have any, not sure i do.

And deleting negative comments sadly is quit common on a lot of the companies we deal with and pretty much across the board. OTG pants is another one that has removed my review of their pants.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
My prior setup was a few MTM caseguard plastic ammo crates. I like the crates but for kitchen box duty they got tiresome to shuffle around. One had the stove, one had utensils, another had food, and whatever one was on the bottom of the stack was the one I wanted something from:

qnX_eaiYc6pLnxCLNVZL-gbwc5e8oYtnQKuuWSHQd_NnLNYr3jlRJeXOKo41pT9kmzualInLijmvX0SP3ayIflKoEtebEYDloswhUdL1BELnMhGqlm88fug3xAnjdKmzi0AoMFWT1_ZIGnmcUMoopnzUkA2jPah8GutobM1kQ49bY2usnHSWekkbEKDr-Cb-UcQ6BSGT4Srrlsohtadu9PfMOXqKR-0Mnvk1UNn2fDl9ut7nRRQyRdyeR284NLCTO6njP_yOsmV0SncCWjP3m3xhyGa92r6v4hi9Dx-BW9Au4HpeV6KUqMRl2DfVKxnz5qBwV9ITkEHww6O7Esi7zaJPj-feQQ42A4xn2tb48yvR4ijHd9fu2vrbzSV59OQ9v7C2D5z7NvgTsay7lUhXWA9080rIoYte7ohBf5tYLpYUuMZfO81cwT0CJo-FfIUIKow_OlThkAAnE4FSh3O6Y80v4ipdD96YZHffOgEuvdzyDiGet_0Vd__lz45iUNTouvFnNMj8SJIALZ7h6bo1eCNewFwGoCaFv9VI-DqiRHYHRbJCH5t-K3zJNm73FsDfm_eK0-M2LULKyL2ndwBMjDseAQUgZ9FYPeNtr48Em6wHtPNyr-C3wnmJ7OWiT9vEE68C0pR36mnNQgmapHxd0bbcEgJk0loM3sPv8Rc06DILlW2baZhjSE2JfK9R7SCoSeXNV3kePZLcpLcg5e67dSH5=w800-h600-no

While it's not very original, for the space I had the Trail Kitchens King Charles fit it perfect. It rides on my slide out and I tucked my fridge behind it since I'm not in and out of there a lot. So far I have not needed to remove it at camp so it's convenient just open the door and grab stuff. If I did want to spread out just unhook a few straps and set it on a picnic table. I like to back up to a picnic table if one is handy, so I have my stuff on one side, turn around and I have table space.

I do still use one of the MTM cases for a pantry box. A few canned goods and non-perishable stuff I use on a regular basis I'll tuck in the chuck box but I mostly keep the food separate.

I modified it by adding a cable to hold the door flat for setting things down on. If necessary I can put my Coleman dual burner stove on top and cook under the hatch door.

R1KPo2r-r8HsYo1PRPR1xw4oQq1cNtdezEKGXsHQw2r-rn81CpYj0eJLFLjH193FdRnjxYwT3VH65C16UFSv4N80NwgZMUIQsflTgiru-yUDYBqLcx1vt9G-Rvf5pvmbrXRwTquA_tWkRwzhrFcxVyfLTUb-hOjGclpZGojbRKWKTZLVpwptDL5KD2bJHwWtlAKPMPJa4HkayjUmrW-FGA0UQJW2tUFIlalZXA7QK9pUvJriGDb3eBWTxTw2e0JJ-wu1QhQGGok7L9xllHBH78U_lzIuu3U_ORih4fsirKrS-MFTOinxe3GVGaXjHpwK-qShUq-mMLzYuC5GDmQOFwANz4YU-LRZpZQeMJwnghGFo1Mzl2gSt0m2DsIZpeT5HFbhpXIG-oDbSZe0V3KZ0iJzXXqnpmCSttR96-A7Wb82qVg2HizcBsh5J-IIx_R7HFEhEdVv-3T6nCkoZLwuD_IuzFSGuprFns8abkZM6G6Og6PMYbl5szhvyCziWCJ8rpmXWrKlYy_CnvH0XvoWz6wlOB3A-gnfa0nfOUUtLxQCRDL5LocprkE9IXrK8ZBvVHexoNoy3iztR9QKRhM_74W0lDEqm7L70CgLgsY9quynJboTQVAJnkRdVQXNaaR1SvRp2uTrzz0UpQo_l4MnJ56Zsemca07rV3Ihgogy_EXr_cCP_bfM9pIx595773dzbj0iaH43hPbISrO2iI8k5ml9=w954-h715-no

Z0W0CAlaDBXxawS_wTL1RlLmd0Ka19IIEsw-aeLM01oyTgvyiw0dMevp8Mwv7-S4PS_6XrbnoptWV4NpGZw-ILf1vJw3Im1-VfqN5XeF8w4BsevUNb8EUFySHU1Rgw1wgtzg5doLTQXTwBFXwr67YEaNbccWG3xxxR8iYWpW7mcJ-tsOWXIqinHKbXQoFYKlKg5m8HGW86V7ODov4RrMSXuSxeHGBvwuHW93vN2Az7kG6l4jlr_oNE7OP-ySnXqIv36Ji0gf6FSBgZwMJKm2tbWqJj2PVvBgYMyZmzCrMQKFcWVKQJgGRxRETArsQ8i8a7zd98JXsj6Vo1PAqODHwWjot1bHkwz7UDThmFyClOudKMHAJjN93M0KGLcvaHGAT9QVR_mbAXDtV1ByerrSUMOJI9F9iMDVbQFhB9V2re_Gq_SrL9dGhFmLg4jDMLk2QwLTmB5_LwQx56jgY_IIsjZzJewZHVk0cR1TkJmF2an0YP-OJ58-t516aM5ZDUl908StZ6_sGrocDvDwZNmYKD09lLngbxZBXsC3e_LmFzfDLpD5MicpLnKeBh2rCdzLkmdVa3agFZ1FsTXJRW4lGRWic2WQaa5LI8tDvc9PT1aUah3A1A8LADTHOJqpIiaPRkFSX62pkp2Pesqkqf8pfA6-6DzltW-QvMwQaVMHO3U7j3fI3Dnyh04Z8Zvd_0L9HSPS0blq3TysbjCcXKM7RCcQ=w954-h715-no

xwerx

Observer
I have a question for those who have built a chuck box out of wood. What product was used to seal the wood? How has the finish held up over time?

My last chuckbox was made of 1/8” luan door skin and pine battens. I used cheap exterior grade poly thinned (1:3) with mineral spirits as per recommendation over on TnTT. The idea is the MS carries the poly into the wood fibre before it evaporates sealing deeper. I think I used 3-4 coats and then used some left over exterior house paint. The box lasted for 5-6 years of canoe camping, and the wood actually wore through at the corners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles