Tundra vs F150

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watt maker

Back in 2012, I had to decide between an f150 or Tundra. I have to admit, the Tundra seemed a little dated, even back then, plus I didn’t want to live with that 26 gallon fuel tank. I was initially really impressed with the f150, all its gizmos and the ecoboost engine so I chose the ford. It was a decision I regretted about 2k miles later when we took the ford on its first road trip and it broke down. It was the first of many break downs and issues with that truck. By 40k miles the engine was knocking and down on power and ford did not want to tear it down and fix it. I had enough and traded it for another 4runner, which has been flawless.

After a few years without a pickup truck, I was finally in the market for another truck. The new Raptors are pretty impressive, as the new diesel HD trucks are also very impressive. What a great time for a new truck buyer. I just couldn’t forget how much it sucked having a new truck that broke down all the time. This time around, I just wanted something that was reliable so I stuck with something tried and true. I went with a Tundra this time and I’ve been very happy with it. I get the same or better mpg that my ecobust did. The 5.7 is plenty for what I do and the chassis actually feels more solid than the ford did even though that one had the max tow option.

Pax2525

Adventurer
I love my 2012 F-150 crewcab 6.5’ bed. The cab has soooo much room and I still have a real bed. I also have the 36 gallon tank with the 5.0. Plenty of power and can go a good distance. Zero complaints and I like Toyota’s

bkg

Explorer
Imho, fit and finish on my f350 is nicer than that of the 15 crewmax it replaced, but not quite as nice as the Japan built 4Runner. The crewmax definitely was better than my Jk...

Dougnuts

The resale on the Tundra will more than make up for any fuel cost. In the real world they are ~1mpg different. And they are still far more reliable than any other make. One advantage of not changing much since 2007 I guess...

According to Fuelly.com, a 3.5TT F150 gets about 2.2mpg more than a 5.7L Tundra.

I bought a 2018 F150 for the power, fuel economy and aftermarket. If you’re OK with all of those on the Tundra, I’d look very hard at getting the Toyota.

F350joe

The amount of hate in this site for Toyota is crazy. But hey it’s a free country.

I resemble that remark but my 3.0 had to have the engine rebuilt twice, 4 clutches before 50k mi and junked at 150k. The later 06 Tacoma just burst into flames a few months back. Owned an explorer, escape, full size bronco and a f350, all have been good, especially compared the the two Toyotas. I like the tundra but there is no excuse for slow AND poor mpg. There seems to be a quality gap between what was made in Japan and made in US with Toyota. I think all the hate on this site is more than just smoke.

Reactions: bkg

tacollie

Glamper
They are both good trucks. You can't go wrong with either. Drive both and get the one you like better or the one that it's a better deal. I don't regret getting a Tundra but we were buying used. It's a good truck. It also felt more comfortable to me but that is subjective.

nickw

Adventurer
Dont forget, you can get the F150 with the HD Payload package which puts it heads and shoulders above the Tundra from a payload & towing perspective. Also 36 gallon tank which is nice for an expo rig. I like the Tundra and have had good luck with Toyota's in the past, but I'd get a HD F150 w/3.5 EB and call it a day.

F150 (Supercrew 4x4 long bed); Tow = 11,500 lbs, Payload = 2,690
Tundra (Crew); Tow = 8800, Payload = 1520

Quite the difference!

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Dont forget, you can get the F150 with the HD Payload package which puts it heads and shoulders above the Tundra from a payload perspective. Also 36 gallon tank which is nice for an expo rig. I like the Tundra and have had good luck with Toyota's in the past, but I'd get a HD F150 w/3.5 EB and call it a day.
I thought Tundras now came w/ a 38 gallon tank? My F150 has it and it def is nice for those longer drives.

codename607

Adventurer
Based on your needs(more space for kids) I would get a CrewMax. You mention that you like the F150 because it has a locker but then say you are doing fire roads and not much wheeling. No need for a locker on fire roads.

If you plan on keeping the truck long term I would get the Tundra hands down; reliability and resale value. However, if you plan on changing out the truck every few years then a F150 is great. They do have nice options but having one over 5 years would raise some red flags in my book.

Keeps things simple and get the Toyota.

Trikebubble

Adventurer
I love my Tundra, wouldn't buy any other gas powered truck. When I was looking my #1 want was a truck with a proven reliability pedigree. I could care less for heated and cooled steering wheels, and 45 cup holders, and the most up to date fancy interior. I wanted a tried and true and tested platform that is known for just keeping on working without complaining. That is why I chose the Tundra. It has all the power I'll ever need, the seats are super comfortable for me, and I know that it will always get me there and home again with having to worry if the seatbelts are going to catch on fire. I have the DC which fits our needs (and the 6' box fits our FWC too). Mileage is really a secondary concern as the weight we carry would kill actual real world mileage on any comaprable truck anyways.
My sister has a Tundra Crewmax and I'm pretty sure you could haul a horse around in the back seat of that thing. Its just massive back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles