Looking for feedback on flatbed trays.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Hey guys and gals....

My GF and I are hip-deep in the research phase of buying a truck and pop-up camper. (Thinking F-250/350 with Hawk)

After a visit to Rocky Mountain FWC last week, we are both liking the flatbed models for the layout and additional storage space.

Four Wheel Campers has partnered with Norweld to provide trays for their flatbed models. The Norweld product is awesome but pricey.....adding $10-15k to the set-up.

So we are researching other options for aluminum trays that will work with a FWC.

So far I've run across CM and Alum-Line as potential options.

So looking for feedback from folks that have done something other than the Aussie options (Norweld/Ute) and their experience thus far regarding fitment and quality.

If I'm missing other options, I welcome your thoughts on those too.

Thanks,

Nate

ndaciuk

I am in the process of working with UTE LTD on a tray for my Ram in prep for a FWC flatbed in the future. They have been out of stock on full size beds for a while but its looking like they are taking orders now. Seems to be a much less expensive option as compared with a Norweld.

https://www.uteltd.com/

givemethewillys

Jonathan Chouinard
I'm following this thread excitedly, because I'd love to learn more about the different flatbed/ tray options out there. I love the look of the Patriot PCOR tray, but it seems ludicrous to spend $15k on one vs. $3k for an American flatbed.
I'm curious as to what the big difference is between an American flatbed and an aussie tray. Is they really that different?

kmacafee

Adventurer
I had Alum Line build a flatbed for me for significantly less than the Norweld. They will build anything you want. Theirs customer service isn’t always the best but they build a great product. They even bought my old truck bed.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
AT Overland makes custom flatbeds, mostly for flatbed FWCs. They've been doing that for a number of years. That's who is making the bed for my RAM/Hawk setup. XP Camper also makes flatbeds, primarily for their XP Camper but they are also tasked as utility beds and for mounting FWCs. Flatbeds are a substantive modification, so they don't come cheap but local options are somewhat less expensive than having them shipped across the ocean.
Thanks for the info.

I reached-out to AT Overland regarding their flatbeds...no response so I guess they don't need/want my money. Frustrating because I saw pics of a build they did for an Expo member that were really nice and they would be really close to my place in AZ.

Saw the flatbeds made by the XP Camper folks....really nice but close to the price of a Norweld.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
Highway Profucts is another source for aluminum flatbeds. You might also look at the ATC flat bed campers. Not quite as ‘fancy’, but well built and less expensive.
I'm gonna look closer at these since they do custom work and also build storage boxes.

I'll be in OKC next week so the GF and I are gonna look around at a couple flatbed dealers....will probably see the CM offerings.

danneskjold

I am in the midst of doing research on flat beds for my 8 foot bed F150.

Ute aluminum flat beds were about $6k with install. Weigh 400lbs

Norweld $10k without install.

Steel flatbed is $4000 with install, weighs 600lbs.

I’m probably going to go with steel due to availability and cost. 200lbs extra isn’t really that much.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
If I were you and were interested, I'd persist a little. They are a busy shop so there's not a person sitting answering every phone call or every cyber contact immediately, but I've found they eventually get back to you, or someone will answer.
You're right.....I know they are busy. Maybe I'll just try to hit Mario up at Expo next month and see if I can get my questions answered.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
I am in the midst of doing research on flat beds for my 8 foot bed F150.

Ute aluminum flat beds were about $6k with install. Weigh 400lbs

Norweld $10k without install.

Steel flatbed is $4000 with install, weighs 600lbs.

I’m probably going to go with steel due to availability and cost. 200lbs extra isn’t really that much.
Interesting....the girl and I were just discussing the differences in wt between aluminum and steel. A couple hundred pounds is not a deal-breaker.

I'll see if the Ute folks have a dealer near me (Denver).

kmacafee

Adventurer
It depends on where you live. Up here in the northland, winter salt makes any steel flatbed look pretty bad after a short time. Aluminum resists corrosion and 200 pounds is not insignificant when you worry about being overweight.

danneskjold

Interesting....the girl and I were just discussing the differences in wt between aluminum and steel. A couple hundred pounds is not a deal-breaker.

I'll see if the Ute folks have a dealer near me (Denver).

If you’re going with an F250/F350 you can definitely afford to be less weight conscious than on a midsize or even half ton pickup. Also, a lot less lead time for steel.

justbecause

perpetually lost
It's just as easy to overload a 1 ton as a mid size. It's nothing but adding gear or parts.

I would say consider how long you will keep the truck, a few grand averaged out over 10 years is easier to stomach than over a couple of years.

outdoornate65

Adventurer
It depends on where you live. Up here in the northland, winter salt makes any steel flatbed look pretty bad after a short time. Aluminum resists corrosion and 200 pounds is not insignificant when you worry about being overweight.
We will be based in Northern AZ after a year of full-time status exploring the West and Baja.

To be honest, I'm hoping we can make a slide-in Granby work on an F-250. Will save big money over flatbed-camper option.

Flatbed is appealing for additional storage and lay-out of side-entry model but that comes at a premium.

Appreciate your feedback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles