Full length rack noise

just_MWB cruiser

Funny I bought my FRontrunner rack 2nd hand and the chap had this al checkerplate faring on it.. I thought it was a bit ugly so I took it off and got such a fright how loud it was I thought my roof was tearing off haha. So I made some cosmetic mods so it would fit under the rack and follow the roof line and added some rubber edge trim, happy with results and whisper quite again.
Ps think my noise issues more to do with excessive gear on roof heehee

Before: 5D543474-7244-46E8-A99F-38002D8C2B1A.png
After: 7260D677-10DB-42F7-9168-DCE9E99B3788.jpeg351D0955-6D1F-4FCF-9F66-A6579A3086E2.jpeg

Silmarillion

Observer
Has it caused any paint damage? The FR kit came with a clear strip to "protect the paint". I didn't install it, just seems like something that will come off and leave a sticky dirty residue (like stickers that people rip off...)

Great looking work!

I've had a front runner rack on my LR3 for several years and I agree they are great racks w/ a ton of nice accessories available, but they are noisy. However, they have just released a new wind fairing for them-I have one in a box sitting here in my office as I haven't even had time to open and install it- can't wait to try it.

GORM

Adventurer
There were enough positive comments from LR3 owners that I know frequent the site that I got mine .. it just came today and I was not home 10 minutes before lying down on my roof rack inside the garage to mount it up. Actually doing from inside the vehicle with a helper on the outside is the way to go.

I can say the rover has not been quieter than it was when I put put 2 canoes up there. A noticeable difference at all speeds above 50mph, I can hear the engine again. Maybe my Circa 2008 stock Bluetooth is useable while on the highway. I was playing with decibel meter before and after. Maybe 3-5db ay 70mph and more like 5-7db when the sunroof is open. I had rendered the sunroof useless and might just crank up the heat and leave sunroof open because I can.

I wonder if I should remove or relocate the under rack faring piece that came with the rack to another location.

Silmarillion

Observer
Great to hear! I just threw that thing away... Good riddance! They shouldn't sell the rack to LR3 owners without that windfaring.

A.J.M

Explorer
The under rack fairing thing is in my garage loft. Removed it as it wasn’t needed, and tbh, a bit crap anyway.

I can drive around with sunroof up and heat on without being deafened.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I made my fairing but kept the included FR under rack metal pieces as I might make something of them one day.

TOUGE

People that have the FR fairing have you noticed any change if fuel economy? Putting the FR rack of made a bigger economy difference than going to 275/65 K02's which surprised me a little.

TOUGE

I’m getting between 1-2 mpg better and nearly 40-50 miles more to a tank.

Thanks, noise to me wasn't as bad as other have been complaining about but I do like driving with the sunroof open as much as possible. I will go pick up one tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles