Long term Atturo Trail Blade X/T 285/60R18 120H XL review

Hawkbeard

... And they feel great.

2008 LR3 SE 89,000mi

I couldn't find a whole lot about these tires and I spent a few weeks researching tire options when I bought this car. I thought I would offer to answer any questions and update this thread periodically as I put the miles on, for those that are interested in this particular tire.

Installed:

IMG_20181008_145412008.jpg

Old tires (Hankook all seasons 255/60R18)
IMG_20180925_170040618.jpg

If they made em in 265/65, I would've gotten those. They don't, so I figured this was second best size.

I don't have a lot of info yet, but I'll update over time.

Noise: Only gotten up to 55mph yet, slight whine but nothing crazy.

Rub: TBD, have not moved any cables or trimmed any plastic yet.

Cost: $153/tire at Discount

Usage: Mostly overland/expedition with the family, but I don't want to have to worry if I can make it anywhere/anytime. Would like to try some moderate to difficult trails eventually. Don't want tires to be limiting factor. This is my DD for now but I have very short/easy/slow commute.

I did order a fifth full size wheel and five tires, now I have to get a rear tire carrier (ideally) or roof rack (less so). Tires were my first major purchase. Next up is refreshing all the fluids and other recommended maintenance.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Nice price. Do report back when you put a lot of miles on them. With that size you can still fit the spare under the car, no need to buy a rack or new bumper if that's your only consideration

Hawkbeard

Interesting. We messed around with it at the shop and the installer said it wouldn't fit. I'll give it a shot myself. I do not like that undersized spare.

JimBiram

Adventurer
My 285 -60-18 spare Cooper Zeon is deflated so I can fit underneath. Probably same for these tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawkbeard

Rainy October update:

Still haven't had an open weekend to go off road. However, it's been raining like mad here in Dallas and I have tried my best to lose control or slide in these Trail Blades. I think both the tires and the LR3 are having a laugh at my expense as I drive probably a bit dangerously on these roads.

"Dude. Come on. This is nothing. Wake me up when you have a challenge."

We had a lot of flash flooding, driving rain, deep water (for a paved road). Stuck to the road like glue, no matter what I did. Very reassuring, coming from a guy who has only had All Season tires my whole life.

@Hawkbeard yeah the D3 road handling is epic in my opinion. When I lived in Hawaii, we had heavy rains a lot and the weight and the traction control are really something to take note of over any other vehicle I have owned in the past.....well present too I guess. lol

Now that I am on the mainland again, I am excited to get in some snow; although I'm not sure how my KM2 are in snow though!

Hawkbeard

First offroad trip and opportunity for more tire review: Northwest OHV Park, Bridgeport, TX, near dallas/ fort worth. No action shots because I'm a lazy idiot.

Green trails after two weeks of rain equals red trails! I really just wanted to hit the green trails and not challenge myself too much but with the rain, green didn't exist.

I'm a novice (civilian) offroader so grain of salt and all that. I was very happy with my LR3s performance. Generally happy with the Atturo tires performance. I believe any issues I had were from my inexperience and probably not equipment issues.

Mud! Lots and lots of mud. Ruts, bogs covered with grass, puddles, muddy rocks. Lots of mud. Truck handled like a champ. Tires definitely took care of business and didn't ever get bogged down if I kept moving.

The only time I had an issue was when I stopped in a grassy area, that was actually a foot of deep mud. Couldn't get out initially until I started messing with the traction settings. It looked like the tires were retaining a lot of mud. But I actually got out without any help or self recovery tools, so I guess that's a win for the tires after all.

There wasn't a lot of rocks but certainly the rocky patches were no issue.

The tires seemed to love the mud ruts. Absolutely zero issues.

Overall big win for the tires. Very happy.

meelaud

First offroad trip and opportunity for more tire review: Northwest OHV Park, Bridgeport, TX, near dallas/ fort worth. No action shots because I'm a lazy idiot.

Green trails after two weeks of rain equals red trails! I really just wanted to hit the green trails and not challenge myself too much but with the rain, green didn't exist.

I'm a novice (civilian) offroader so grain of salt and all that. I was very happy with my LR3s performance. Generally happy with the Atturo tires performance. I believe any issues I had were from my inexperience and probably not equipment issues.

Mud! Lots and lots of mud. Ruts, bogs covered with grass, puddles, muddy rocks. Lots of mud. Truck handled like a champ. Tires definitely took care of business and didn't ever get bogged down if I kept moving.

The only time I had an issue was when I stopped in a grassy area, that was actually a foot of deep mud. Couldn't get out initially until I started messing with the traction settings. It looked like the tires were retaining a lot of mud. But I actually got out without any help or self recovery tools, so I guess that's a win for the tires after all.

There wasn't a lot of rocks but certainly the rocky patches were no issue.

The tires seemed to love the mud ruts. Absolutely zero issues.

Overall big win for the tires. Very happy.

Hey there, how are these trail blade’s holding up? Thinking about getting these in that size for my RRS.

Hawkbeard

Holding up just fine. I haven't had a chance to get them dirty lately. I should be rotating them this weekend so I'll have an idea of tread wear and should get on some trails soon as well.

meelaud

Holding up just fine. I haven't had a chance to get them dirty lately. I should be rotating them this weekend so I'll have an idea of tread wear and should get on some trails soon as well.
Thanks for the update! How are they road noise wise? Any issues balancing them?

Hawkbeard

I'd say they're probably about in the middle for road noise. Definitely some but not like pure mudders. Low whine. No issues rotating yet. Don't love my balance but not sure that's tires fault. Need to look at my alignment.

ricker

I have enjoyed my Arturo tires. I did 1200 miles on the NMBDR last May:

No mud but the tires handled sand and rocks very well.

Safe Travels,

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blaise

Not to be a downer, but these reviews are useless without an A/B comparison. Especially as somebody who admits to coming from standard all seasons.

For an extra $60/corner, I put a reputable tire (Goodyear Duratrac) on my LR3.

My personal experience has been never to cheap out on tires. I've never regretted buying high end tires - be it for a track/race car, street driven sports car, standard daily, truck, offroader.... but I sure have regretted cheaping out.

Again, not saying these off-brand tires are bad, but usually this is the case. But no way to know without an A/B comparo.

soflorovers

Looking at 275/55R20 for a set of Stormers I found cheap. What are your thoughts 1 year into riding on the Trail Blades?
Listen to Blaise, just bite the bullet and get the Duratracs. I had them on my previous rig and they were the best tires for the application. Believe it or not, they were significantly quieter than the OEM Goodyears that came on my LR3 to begin with (but they were almost a decade old). It's incredible how quiet an aggressive AT/MT hybrid such as a Duratrac can be. Not to mention, the Duratracs are available in 20" sizes for those Stormer wheels.

EDIT: On Discount Tire, the Trail Blades are $175 each in 275/55/20. The Duratrac is $225 in the same size. For an extra $50 per corner, I wouldn't skimp. Furthermore, Tirerack is offering the same price on the Duratrac but is also doing a $50 card-rebate if you buy 4. For $150 delta, I'd just get the Goodyears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles