Be blunt: is this forum out of my league? (TT modified for off road use)

profdant139

New member here -- but before I start posting, I gotta ask -- am I even qualified to post here? I have a very small hard sided TT -- a Fun Finder X-139 -- that I have modified for off road use. (Beefy suspension, flipped axle, heavy duty tires, extra insulation, lots of custom boondocking features.) . We go for a week at a time onto rough forest roads in the West. (The trips often last a month, but we come in each weekend to dump the tanks and get groceries and do laundry.) . It is a stretch to call this an "expedition" -- more like "serious rocky road boondocking." We've been doing this for about 14 years. I have lots of boondocking mods to share, and lots of great trips to discuss.

But if you all are into month long trips across the Sahara and nothing less, I don't really belong in that arena. So that is my question -- if I am in the wrong place, I will go back to good old rv.net and listen to the folks complain about campground reservations. I searched the Expedition Portal forums for discussions of this issue (i.e., are modified stock TTs even in the game?), but came up empty, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks for your candid and unfiltered responses!! Don't hold back.

tlin

Adventurer
...that I have modified for off road use. (Beefy suspension, flipped axle, heavy duty tires, extra insulation, lots of custom boondocking features.) . We go for a week at a time onto rough forest roads in the West. (The trips often last a month, but we come in each weekend to dump the tanks and get groceries and do laundry.) . It is a stretch to call this an "expedition" -- more like "serious rocky road boondocking." We've been doing this for about 14 years. I have lots of boondocking mods to share, and lots of great trips to discuss.

My only question is what took you so long to join Expo???? Start sharing already and don't forget the pictures! :) :)

NatersXJ6

Explorer
Most everyone here is doing their own thing, dreaming and trying to live their own dream.

I suspect that most of us are at our desks most of the time hoping for the occasional long weekend or week off.

The place is pretty inclusive. I’ve gotten great ideas here, met great people,
And explored places I never would have known about without the forum.

I only hope I’ve been able to give something back to others as well.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
... -- that I have modified for off road use. (Beefy suspension, flipped axle, heavy duty tires, extra insulation, lots of custom boondocking features.) . We go for a week at a time onto rough forest roads in the West. (The trips often last a month, but we come in each weekend to dump the tanks and get groceries and do laundry.) . It is a stretch to call this an "expedition" -- more like "serious rocky road boondocking." We've been doing this for about 14 years. I have lots of boondocking mods to share, and lots of great trips to discuss.

You are a perfect fit and way ahead of must of us! More pictures! (Some of us have been fascinated by trailers for years.

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
profdan, good to see you here on the dark side. Dan was a stalwart member over on RV.net's trailer and boondocking sections but mostly hung out with the rabid off road truck camper people who have migrated over here of late. He's taken his rig to some nasty places. Not to worry, he does great trip reports.
jefe4x4

Airmapper

Inactive Member
If you have a trailer hitch on your travel trailer so you can drag along a pimped out lifted golf cart that cost more than a new car, just see yourself out. Otherwise, yeah you'll get along just fine here. ;)

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
In addition, profdan brings to this forum a scarce and needed commodity: some amount of humility. He's smart, savvy, freely giving of his experience and has no axe to grind. The tone over on RV.net has taken a turn to the south, which means there is an on going exodus of people to other forums that better fit their focus. He will fit in fine here and as I have found, you will find he has some interesting tricks to offer. Oh, and did I mention his very cool T.R.'s?
As an aside, if he is indeed in the high country of the eastern Sierra Nevada right now, he is facing a lot of frozen moisture flaking down from the heavens. This in CA means you must chain up your 4WD if pulling any trailer in snow on the highway.
jefe

Last edited:

billiebob

New member here -- but before I start posting, I gotta ask -- am I even qualified to post here? I have a very small hard sided TT -- a Fun Finder X-139 -- that I have modified for off road use. (Beefy suspension, flipped axle, heavy duty tires, extra insulation, lots of custom boondocking features.) . We go for a week at a time onto rough forest roads in the West. (The trips often last a month, but we come in each weekend to dump the tanks and get groceries and do laundry.) . It is a stretch to call this an "expedition" -- more like "serious rocky road boondocking." We've been doing this for about 14 years. I have lots of boondocking mods to share, and lots of great trips to discuss.

But if you all are into month long trips across the Sahara and nothing less, I don't really belong in that arena. So that is my question -- if I am in the wrong place, I will go back to good old rv.net and listen to the folks complain about campground reservations. I searched the Expedition Portal forums for discussions of this issue (i.e., are modified stock TTs even in the game?), but came up empty, so that is why I am asking.

Thanks for your candid and unfiltered responses!! Don't hold back.

yer in the right place

I camp on a tight budget and hate formal camp grounds
Home built Tear Drop Trailer
Camping on a beach
Book & a Beer

Tread Lightly, Pack Out MORE Than Ya Pack In

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
DWH,
The environment in the truck camper section of RV.net has turned a lot less collegial and a lot more argumentative and caustic. Maybe it's a sign of the society in general that we live in. Maybe it's just the slow rolling evolution of forums and people who inhabit them. After 16 years answering the same questions over and over, it was time for me to move on. I do wish them well. There really is no perfect forum for what i do with the XTC, not even this one. It's just another dead end in that thin layer of the Burgess Shale.
jefe

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles