Snow Wheeling - Let's talk pressures & Terrain Response/DSC

Blaise

Did a little run up to Tonga Ridge on Saturday. Unfortunately we had to turn around before the top - I was leading the pack with my LR3 and it was pretty slow going with the slushy/melty snow providing very little traction.

To lessen the risk of losing a bead, I stuck to 15psi. No chains here. Anyone had luck running closer to 10psi? How about luck with off-road use with low-clearance chains like the Z6?

With Mud/Ruts mode, I would lose momentum pretty quickly. With Sand mode it did far better - but the folks behind me could smell my brakes!

Anyone got some advice on how to lessen the use of the DSC/TR on the brakes? In my Xterra I would just send it and let the steering handle the rest.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
The very few times I ever drove in snow I used the snow setting or the sand setting, sometimes one is better as you say.

I never really aired down much, I would try airing down a little bit and using chains, this seems to me like a good idea.

Nice photo! I like the framing.

merr1ca

I was out playing in similar conditions two weeks ago and I just kept it in normal and used low gear with ESP off. It was really easy to get sucked out of the ruts and off into 2+ foot deep slushy snow. We were keeping the speed pretty high in the group as to not loose momentum (15-30 MPH) so the best way to get back on track was just to pin the throttle. Otherwise it was winching time.

Blaise

I was out playing in similar conditions two weeks ago and I just kept it in normal and used low gear with ESP off. It was really easy to get sucked out of the ruts and off into 2+ foot deep slushy snow. We were keeping the speed pretty high in the group as to not loose momentum (15-30 MPH) so the best way to get back on track was just to pin the throttle. Otherwise it was winching time.

15-30?!?! Holy crap, that's flying. Even at 10-15 I could smell my brakes.

What pressures were you running? I did let my buddy drive for a minute.... hahhahahah

Attachments

• stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 38

Ray_G

Explorer
Um, I have a question-why did you have your DSC on while wheeling?

That's the first thing I turn off. Then, most of the time, I turn off the HDC b/c it annoys the s out of me unless I see terrain where I want the computer assisting with that.

Maybe I'm messed up here...

merr1ca

15-30?!?! Holy crap, that's flying. Even at 10-15 I could smell my brakes.

What pressures were you running? I did let my buddy drive for a minute.... hahhahahah

Hahaha, we all ended up in the ditch like that at least once. We covered about 60 miles. The conditions varied a ton, from muddy ruts, partial pavement, ice, slush, gravel. Or a combo of all of the above...

It was also bring your compact car to the trail day. Recovered a Passat and this little Ford.

I kept pressures around 30. I have Nokian WRG3's mounted right now. The vehicles with MT's struggled a bit, notably the Jeep with some pretty wide and worn MT's.

Sorry for the portrait mode. Too busy having fun to really take good pictures.

Jwestpro

Explorer
Um, I have a question-why did you have your DSC on while wheeling?

That's the first thing I turn off. Then, most of the time, I turn off the HDC b/c it annoys the s out of me unless I see terrain where I want the computer assisting with that.

Maybe I'm messed up here...

Yup, DSC off in deep snow for sure, unless you like to get stalled every time.

Jwestpro

Explorer
To lessen the risk of losing a bead, I stuck to 15psi. No chains here. Anyone had luck running closer to 10psi? How about luck with off-road use with low-clearance chains like the Z6?

10 is way too low for the heavy lr3 on factory wheels and the sizes we can use. Even 15 is pushing your luck and not even getting you much benefit in snow. 20 is really around the bottom for an lr3 unless for just a tight spot.

I've only experimented with these things for 20 yrs now though, so what do I know....

Blaise

Well that helps ;) Hahahha didn’t mention you had the cheat code. I’d imagine it’d go far better if I was in your shoes.

Ray_G: DSC is off, with the button anyway. However there is no way to keep the TR/DSC system from running the brakes that I know of. With mud/ruts it was minimal but I couldn’t hold momentum. In Sand mode I could send it but smell the brakes.

JWest: Can’t go below 20psi, same way I was supposed to split a tire the moment i touched gravel bc I didn’t buy an E-rated tire. :rolleyes:

Jwestpro

Explorer
Well that helps ;) Hahahha didn’t mention you had the cheat code. I’d imagine it’d go far better if I was in your shoes.

Ray_G: DSC is off, with the button anyway. However there is no way to keep the TR/DSC system from running the brakes that I know of. With mud/ruts it was minimal but I couldn’t hold momentum. In Sand mode I could send it but smell the brakes.

JWest: Can’t go below 20psi, same way I was supposed to split a tire the moment i touched gravel bc I didn’t buy an E-rated tire. :rolleyes:

What is your issue? I never said anything remotely like that. Enough with the slander. You don't know ******** about this, came to me for help. I was very open and tried to share what I've learned over texts between us for 3 months last summer but you feel the need to slander me here. Good luck leading that sort of life.

Jwestpro

Explorer

Maybe you just have reading comprehension issues. Where did I say "can't go below 20psi" ? Oh, nowhere.
As for your "touched gravel" BS. I never said anything remotely like that so it is clear you have trouble understanding what people tell you after you ask for their help.

I think you should use 5psi next time you go out alone.

Blaise

Let's just agree to disagree. You can run 25psi, I'll run 15-20, you can run an E-rated tire, I won't. Back to the topic at hand....

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Observer
As long as your not turning sharp at hi speed or driving on tight technical trails and have tires with a decently strong sidewall going down to 10 is very doable in any vehicle I've ever owned. 15 seems to be the sweet spot for floating on snow and keeping some hight with the tires , but just for saftey sake I would practice putting a tire back on the bead just in case you do pull it off on the trail . 507409

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior