Clutch’s deep thoughts thread...

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I def. suffered from vehicle A.D.D. for a long time too. I think I've owned around 50ish vehicles so far? I've settled down in the past few years though.
It was mostly when I was young. I always had a classic summer cruiser and a DD. Both which seemed to change within a year, lol

Clutch

<---Pass
Haha that’s the understatement of the century lol. My women and dogs are the only thing I tend to keep around for the long haul. In regards to the women I see that as a good thing because running through them like I do everything else would likely be the most costly of all haha.

Have buddy like that, about every 2 years he gets a new truck. Raves how Rams alway treated him good, hell at that turn over rate the better well should!

Me on the the other hand I am obsessed to see how long I can keep something going.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I def. suffered from vehicle A.D.D. for a long time too. I think I've owned around 50ish vehicles so far? I've settled down in the past few years though.
It was mostly when I was young. I always had a classic summer cruiser and a DD. Both which seemed to change within a year, lol

Yea, it was bad back in my 20's, I'd have a built off-roader, a daily, usually a classic of some sort and/or a track car, and then a few motorcycles and a boat. I was single and making plenty of money so I didn't see an issue with it lol. I am still struggling with it but I got rid of the boats, I am down to enduro bikes which are the cheapest, and I no longer have classics or track cars or even a separate daily and off-roader, those last two have become one in the same.

Have buddy like that, about every 2 years he gets a new truck. Raves how Rams alway treated him good, hell at that turn over rate the better well should!

Me on the the other hand I am obsessed to see how long I can keep something going.

You'd be surprised how many issues can occur within the first two years. Some of the domestics have proven to be unreliable in that short amount of time in my personal experience.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yea, it was bad back in my 20's, I'd have a built off-roader, a daily, usually a classic of some sort and/or a track car, and then a few motorcycles and a boat. I was single and making plenty of money so I didn't see an issue with it lol. I am still struggling with it but I got rid of the boats, I am down to enduro bikes which are the cheapest, and I no longer have classics or track cars or even a separate daily and off-roader, those last two have become one in the same.
For me the classic car was 'replaced' with a trailer for camping. I still want a boat to go fishing with. Thinking a small aluminum boat that I can toss on a boat rack so I can still tow the trailer.... Sort of in between these set ups..

Tex68w

Beach Bum
For me the classic car was 'replaced' with a trailer for camping. I still want a boat to go fishing with. Thinking a small aluminum boat that I can toss on a boat rack so I can still tow the trailer.... Sort of in between these set ups..

View attachment 503278

View attachment 503279

The aluminum boat isn't a bad idea if you can also carry a small tiller outboard to attach when you get it down. These guys do that very thing down in Australia, they keep it mounted to the top of their trailer but I see them dragging it along in nearly every video.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The aluminum boat isn't a bad idea if you can also carry a small tiller outboard to attach when you get it down. These guys do that very thing down in Australia, they keep it mounted to the top of their trailer but I see them dragging it along in nearly every video.

Oh yeah, I'm not going to try and row the boat and fish. Been there, done that. It sucked. I spent more time rowing to try and keep from drifting into the weeds than I did casting.

Hmm.. I've never seen that Explore 4x4 series before. Looks good! I'll have to check it out.

Clutch

<---Pass

View attachment 503278

View attachment 503279

What would that be, a 19' TT and a diesel Colorado? Guys who tow with them seem to be happy and return half way decent mileage for a daily.

Do like those Casitas, but find the textile they use on the walls a bit weird. See it as a dust collector.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
What would that be, a 19' TT and a diesel Colorado? Guys who tow with them seem to be happy and return half way decent mileage for a daily.

Do like those Casitas, but find the textile they use on the walls a bit weird. See it as a dust collector.
Actually the Colorado isn't on my radar. No real reason why not. Seems like a good truck but.... meh. Thinking when the time comes of looking at Tacomas, Rangers and Gladiators. (Taco tow rating has me concerned. Ranger and Gladiator are 1,000 lbs more) And yes, about a 19' TT. But, who knows what will happen between now and then. Really, I'm just day dreaming, lol

Clutch

<---Pass
Actually the Colorado isn't on my radar. No real reason why not. Seems like a good truck but.... meh. Thinking when the time comes of looking at Tacomas, Rangers and Gladiators. (Taco tow rating has me concerned. Ranger and Gladiator are 1,000 lbs more) And yes, about a 19' TT. But, who knows what will happen between now and then. Really, I'm just day dreaming, lol

The Collie is about the only one that gets decent mileage out of all of them was my thought. Prices aren't too bad either...finding them in the low 30's here. But they are a bit on the "meh" side. Chevy has such a poor track record for a while now, not sure I would trust it over the long haul.

Think I told you before, neighbor had a DCSB Tacoma with the good engine...the 4.0, It looked miserable towing his 19 footer just down the street, guessing it wouldn't be fun up on the highway.

Did check out the new Ranger last week at the Sportsman Show, nice truck...that particular truck was $40K. Think I rather have a fullsize at that price, and especially hearing the mpg numbers they are getting.

Dunno, the more I look at the new stuff, the more I like my old crap... :D

Looked at the Four Wheel Campers, IIRC they had two Hawks on display. Nice, but spendy for such a small space and the storage is horrid. Out of all the campers there, I liked the small off-road traditional style popup trailer the best, which surprised me. A lot of room in a small package, and not bad of a price either.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Think I told you before, neighbor had a DCSB Tacoma with the good engine...the 4.0, It looked miserable towing his 19 footer just down the street, guessing it wouldn't be fun up on the highway.
Yes, I recall you saying that. Weight is partly why the higher tow rating of the Ranger and Gladiator may be appealing. Not, that I'll be towing every second of every day. Might be a case of a truck being bought for 90% Commuting and 10% truck stuff, lol.

Who knows. I may look at the weights and decide to stick to a half ton. Could be looking at 1 / 2 year old F150's and Tundras all over again in a few years.

(Really hoping I can downsize though, lol)

I do see people towing with Tacomas. Maybe just case of 'Just cause you can doesn't mean you should' ...

I'm thinking something along these lines:

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes, I recall you saying that. Weight is partly why the higher tow rating of the Ranger and Gladiator may be appealing. Not, that I'll be towing every second of every day. Might be a case of a truck being bought for 90% Commuting and 10% truck stuff, lol.

Who knows. I may look at the weights and decide to stick to a half ton. Could be looking at 1 / 2 year old F150's and Tundras all over again in a few years.

(Really hoping I can downsize though, lol)

Yeah, I just don't know if there is that big enough difference to make the jump. I kick around the idea of getting small AWD Wagon and a super light aluminum 3 rail trailer for the bikes. It might get 10-12 better mpgs, but daaaaang-it, it won't save me any money! :);)

I do see people towing with Tacomas. Maybe just case of 'Just cause you can doesn't mean you should' ...

View attachment 503349

That looks sketchy at best. :D

I'm thinking something along these lines:

View attachment 503351

That is the trailer he had, replaced the Taco with a Tundra. On paper it looks like the Taco should do it just fine, but in reality not so sure. Tundra would pull it like it wasn't even back there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles