GrandiOdyssey: Circumnavigating the Globe in a '19 Tacoma Build Thread

Hello to everyone from the overland community. During the next year and 1/2 my wife and I are going to be building and testing our 2019 Toyota Tacoma for an epic overland adventure around the entire world starting in New Zealand in late 2020 and ending in San Diego, CA in late 2022. We wanted to document that entire build process here from start to finish to serve as a guide for anyone attempting anything similar or people that are just curious.

Attached are pictures of her being picked up brand new on Feb 5, 2019 from Toyota Stevens Creek in San Jose, CA. She is a '19 V6 TRD 4x4 6spd MT with ZERO options.

The second Tacoma in our fleet that will be accompanying us on half of our journey from New Zealand through Europe. This one is a '17 TRD 4x4 AT and our plan is to build the trucks to be identical as possible in order to share duties of carrying spare parts and confuse border officials.

Our planned route will take us through approximately 68 countries and cover over 85,000 miles in two years and should put the Tacomas through the test in all possible terrains and situations imaginable. The mission is to see the world as it truly is on the ground and how we can continue our objective of making the world a better place going forward.

Feel free to follow us on Instagram@ GrandiOdyssey as we document our build, tests, and eventually our trip. We will also be launching a YouTube channel in due time in order to share longer form video content.

Bye for now...
-GrandiOdyssey

Attachments

• image2-4.jpeg
    image2-4.jpeg
    822.3 KB · Views: 162
  • image1-5.jpeg
    image1-5.jpeg
    891.3 KB · Views: 190
  • image1-6.jpeg
    image1-6.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 202
  • image2-2.png
    image2-2.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Tentative Build BOM:

Suspension:
-Custom Valved Icon Stage 6 suspension with 700lb front coils, OME heavy rear leafs with + 1 add-a-leaf
-Superbumpkit Poly Front and Rear Bump Stops
- +2 in rear brake lines

Engine:
-Stock

Trans/ Diffs:
-Stock 6spd MT
-Stock rear locker
-ARB diff breathers

Tires:
-265/75/16 E rated BF Goodrich K02 (~32in diameter)

Body:
-Dobinsons snorkel kit
-BAMF IFS skid
-BAMF rock sliders
-SSO Streamline Bumper
-RCI rear bumper
-Toyota OEM mud flaps
-TRD Pro Grille w/ OEM garnish

Interior:
-Wet Okole front seat covers
-Hondo's Garage iPad mount
-Vehicle OCD glove box and center console organizers
-Alibaba seatback organizers
-Pelican Storm case in place of rear seats
-Peztio front and rear dash cam
-Campark action cams
-Weathertech floormats

Communications/NAV:
-Garmin inReach Explorer+
-iPad
-iPhone

Lighting:
-Cali Raised 20in LED (fitted into SSO bumper)

Misc:
-VIAIR air compressor
-5 gallon NATO jerry can with mount
-Tuffy behind seat cubby

Recovery:
-2x Maxtrax
-Warn 87310 9.5xp
-Mophorn air jack
-Warn medium recovery kit

Habitat:
Four Wheel Camper Swift Model
Options:
-Furnace
-Thermal pack
-Yakima roof tracks
-Water heater and outdoor shower
-2 way fridge
-2 160watt solar panels with charge controller
-Power roof vent
-2 deep cycle batteries
-ARB awning
-Rigid Industries flood lights

Gear:
Over time we will add our gear list here

Last edited:

Adventurous

Explorer
I haven’t traveled the world, just North America, but given the Tacoma’s abysmal gas mileage I think I would plan on bringing closer to 15 gallons of fuel. In the more remote areas of Canada it was common to go 300+ miles without an opportunity to fill-up. When your MPGs plummet due to 4wd or a headwind you’ll be glad for the extra capacity.

I haven’t traveled the world, just North America, but given the Tacoma’s abysmal gas mileage I think I would plan on bringing closer to 15 gallons of fuel. In the more remote areas of Canada it was common to go 300+ miles without an opportunity to fill-up. When your MPGs plummet due to 4wd or a headwind you’ll be glad for the extra capacity.
Yes I figure we will likely get around 15mpg on most road situations and 8-12MPG off road. We are planning on having at least 5 gallons extra but may even up that to 10 gallons for certain sections if necessary.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
My only gripe is with your suspension selection. Do your research on the Icon shocks, I know if I were doing that trip and I had an Icon kit I would take along more than a few rebuild kits for the shocks because they will puke their guts more than a few times over that kind of mileage. Personally I would look into something more readily available for replacement and service over seas, something like OME/ARB.

I will definitely keep an eye on this thread and I followed you on @IG. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime and I look forward to following along on this adventure.

crazysccrmd

Observer
https://www.cruiserbrothers.com/brands/long-range-automotive/#product-listing

Here you go, in CA and everything. I agree it’s expensive but for a trip around the world it’s not much money for a lot more fuel capacity.
Says right there on Cruise Brothers website that these are not CA legal.
"I live in California- are these legal here? No, if your vehicle is deemed to be an “emission-controlled vehicle.” Our products ARE NOT exempted from California’s anti-tampering and they MAY NOT be sold and installed on consumer vehicles."

My only gripe is with your suspension selection. Do your research on the Icon shocks, I know if I were doing that trip and I had an Icon kit I would take along more than a few rebuild kits for the shocks because they will puke their guts more than a few times over that kind of mileage. Personally I would look into something more readily available for replacement and service over seas, something like OME/ARB.

I will definitely keep an eye on this thread and I followed you on @IG. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime and I look forward to following along on this adventure.
Yes it was sort of a tradeoff between capability, adjustability, and availability. I will bring a few rebuild kits along and discuss with Icon about repair options. In addition we will carry at least 1 stock shock F/R between the two trucks as a backup.

crazysccrmd

Observer
You’re travelling around the world, not California, seems like a pretty minor concern. You’re also adding bumpers that aren’t legal and exceeding the GVWR of the truck so the gas tank is just one more item on that list.

You’re travelling around the world, not California, seems like a pretty minor concern. You’re also adding bumpers that aren’t legal and exceeding the GVWR of the truck so the gas tank is just one more item on that list.
Driving out of state to get an expensive fuel tank, installing it, and then taking it off when I return to CA and need to smog the truck seems like more hassle than its worth when I could just slap a jerry or two on the back for the few times that I will need > 300 mile range. Everything in life involves tradeoffs and there MANY when building an overland vehicle, especially one that will go overseas.

Adventurous

Explorer
The LRA tanks are nice but pricey and they won't even ship to CA as they don't pass CARB/ smog requirements. Using Rotopax or Jerrys we have a bit more flexibility as we will likely only need to use them in certain regions.

I definitely preferred Jerry cans to my Rotopax. They are cheaper, carry more, don’t have an expensive and proprietary mount, and don’t swell in the warm weather.

Yes it was sort of a tradeoff between capability, adjustability, and availability. I will bring a few rebuild kits along and discuss with Icon about repair options. In addition we will carry at least 1 stock shock F/R between the two trucks as a backup.

Probably personal preference, but my King shocks blew the Icons I had out of the water. Their performance was far superior both loaded and unloaded, at fast and slow speeds, over washboard and chunk.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I definitely preferred Jerry cans to my Rotopax. They are cheaper, carry more, don’t have an expensive and proprietary mount, and don’t swell in the warm weather.

Probably personal preference, but my King shocks blew the Icons I had out of the water. Their performance was far superior both loaded and unloaded, at fast and slow speeds, over washboard and chunk.

Rotopax > Jerry cans-Both swell and Rotopax have a far better mount system and stack nicer.

King's > Icon-I agree with everything that you've said and I've owned both along with OME, Bilstien, Fox, RE, TF, and Clayton.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Nice builds, gonna be an amazing experience!

Why not go with 32” tires?
(I got 90k out my last set of icons before a rebuild, and they were money)

Nice builds, gonna be an amazing experience!

Why not go with 32” tires?
(I got 90k out my last set of icons before a rebuild, and they were money)
We looked a wide variety of tire options while sticking with the stock wheels and wound up going with the BFG KM3 for its exceptional off road performance while maintaining street drivability. Given the sizes available and to avoid any rubbing without running more than a 1" lift we settled on the 255/85/16 E rated tire.

I am leaning towards Jerry cans that this point because they seem to be more durable and rotopax and easier to replace in remote corners of the world...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles