Interesting midsize truck comparison / test

Clutch

<---Pass
Ridgeline=notatruck...just sayin'

If you can haul stuff in the bed it's a truck! :D Has better payload than most other midsizes. Just not a truck you can take too far off pavement. much the same as an old 2WD 5 lug Toyota. :D Think I would high center this one getting into my driveway.

d38d9de2.jpg

If you can put a dirt bike in the bed, it is a truck. :)

I'm not aware of many aftermarket MacPherson strut lifts. It's enough different that I think the stress of using the shock to also locate the wheel replacing an upper arm would make manufacturers run, not walk, away from that application. The one in your photo looks like King seriously upgraded the shafts. There's obviously a lot of options for MacPherson suspensions but I'd think mostly for cars for tracks and perhaps rally (e.g. I suspect there's a ton of Subaru stuff and they can be lifted, too, mostly blocks AFAIK though). But dunno about threaded shock bodies.

I couldn't find anything but spacer lifts for the Ridgeline. Probably could have something made. But too bad they didn't put low range in it. Not sure if we will ever see coil over kits for it, don't think many Ridgeline owners are buying them to go off-road.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I couldn't find anything but spacer lifts for the Ridgeline. Probably could have something made. But too bad they didn't put low range in it. Not sure if we will ever see coil over kits for it, don't think many Ridgeline owners are buying them to go off-road.
With enough money anything is possible. Reading about that Ridgeline it seems King custom made shocks with 1.25" shafts for that car. They are normally 7/8" shafts in 2.5" and 3" body shocks. Wonder how many Benjamins that cost.

Clutch

<---Pass
The dilemma with all the midsize trucks is, mileage hasn't really improved over the years with all of the gimmicks and technological advances.

Honda with the Unibody was supposed to get better fuel economy, same with the new Turbo 10 speed Ranger...real world isn't turning out very good numbers. Only way to get better fuel economy is diesel, but that is a host of other problems, and doesn't really save you any money.

Yesterday I spied a Colorado sitting beside last year or two Silverado. Looking at the two side by side, the Colorado isn't all that much narrower, plus the bed sat up quite a but higher than the Silvy. Think I rather have the Silverado if I had the choice.

Clutch

<---Pass
The question is more tongue in cheek and had to do with the Dodge Bros video I posted. I think many stock 4x4's built today would get stuck in some of what they ran through.

My buddy's F250 got stuck in wet grass... :D

nothing a set of proper tires wouldn't fix though

46447701_10210706487212843_2743065225338028032_n.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
What percentage of people take their BMW M4's and Porsche 911's to the track on a regular basis, or even at all?

If that number is somewhere around 5%, does that mean companies should stop making high performance RWD cars?

Some people actually need the full capability of a 4wd BOF truck. Some people just want to own one for daily commutes. Regardless of an individual's personal motivation, the conventional BOF truck design does have a functional role, which has yet to be fully embraced by the unibody CUV/truck designs. And so long as the demand for those conventional trucks exists, whether it be based on need or want, companies will oblige the market.

Another nice thing about BOF vehicles is, body repair. I have two big dents on my passenger bedside. Super easy to toss another bed on there rather than trying to fix a unibody...you're going to have to cut out the whole panel and weld it back into place.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We live in a capitalist society, constantly dreaming up new ways to sell you the same old crap. ;)

I am about 50/50 on my usage....half for commuting, the other 50% for doing truck stuff. Even with that, would like to have a car just for commuting if I wasn't such a cheap SOB. Like a zippy little VW hatch, Miata, or something along those lines.

My neighbor has a good combo, he has a Tundra and his wife has Suby Crosstrek.

Do like the Ridgeline, but don't think I could go bombing down dirt roads like in the Tacoma without much worry.
Yep, I've thought about getting an older Subaru Outback. Like the ones that still look like station wagons as a beater to drive to work.

I drove this 2003 5spd for a winter we had a lot of snow (the piles along the driveway are above the roofline...)and was super impressed with it. I guess the manual transmission cars split the power 50/50 front / rear.

Outback.jpg

Then I could keep the truck parked at home use it only on weekends so could keep the mileage low and fuel expenses down. But, the math doesn't add up between paying for the car, the fuel it will still require, the extra insurance payment, maintenance, blah, blah blah..

Clutch

<---Pass
Yep, I've thought about getting an older Subaru Outback. Like the ones that still look like station wagons as a beater to drive to work.

I drove this 2003 5spd for a winter we had a lot of snow (the piles along the driveway are above the roofline...)and was super impressed with it. I guess the manual transmission cars split the power 50/50 front / rear.

View attachment 502498

Then I could keep the truck parked at home use it only on weekends so could keep the mileage low and fuel expenses down. But, the math doesn't add up between paying for the car, the fuel it will still require, the extra insurance payment, maintenance, blah, blah blah..

Only reason I want one...is something different to zip around in. Maybe I have been watching too much rally racing lately...saw a nicely done older Audi Quatro at the gas station the other day...oooh, that looks like fun!

Yeah the math never adds up, buying a second vehicle never saves you any money. Shoot, our second vehicle costed me next to nothing, put hardly any miles on it a year....and I still have to throw money at it. :)

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Only reason I want one...is something different to zip around in. Maybe I have been watching too much rally racing lately...saw a nicely done older Audi Quatro at the gas station the other day...oooh, that looks like fun!

Yeah the math never adds up, buying a second vehicle never saves you any money.
The guy that did my tattoo auto crossed a VW Fox, lol
No, it doesn't add up. For me, I think trying to downsize my truck to a midsize is my best bet.

Clutch

<---Pass
The guy that did my tattoo auto crossed a VW Fox, lol
No, it doesn't add up. For me, I think trying to downsize my truck to a midsize is my best bet.

Auto cross sure looks like fun. Sure looks like it burns money too... ;)

Always cheaper to keep what you have, unless you can trade straight across, and even then...

You have a nice setup, not sure I would get rid if that.

OverlandNA

Ridgeline=notatruck...just sayin'
Better tell Motor Trend, as it won their 2006 TRUCK of The Year award. ;) According to my registration back in the day, my 1976 Scout II was a station wagon.
The reason for my original post was because people were bashing it because of the lack of a frame and by golly my current XJ doesn't have a frame either so I best not take it down any nasty roads. :p

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Auto cross sure looks like fun. Sure looks like it burns money too... ;)

Always cheaper to keep what you have, unless you can trade straight across, and even then...

You have a nice setup, not sure I would get rid if that.
Not thinking anytime soon. But, I put a lot of mileage on for my commute. So, just thinking when the truck is miled out years from now, I'll replace it with something smaller if that's possible. Also depends on what we are towing. If we get into a bigger trailer than what we have now, may need to stick to a 1/2 ton.

Clutch

<---Pass
Not thinking anytime soon. But, I put a lot of mileage on for my commute. So, just thinking when the truck is miled out years from now, I'll replace it with something smaller if that's possible. Also depends on what we are towing. If we get into a bigger trailer than what we have now, may need to stick to a 1/2 ton.

Need to get rid of that commute altogether. ;)

Problem with mid-sizes is...they do nothing well. Other than being slightly smaller, no clear advantages over a 1/2 ton. Small trucks made sense when they got nearly double the mpg's years ago, but that isn't the case anymore. Everything gas in the midsize to half ton range seems to get around the 20 mark, some a little less, some a little more but not by much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste