Homemade Roofracks.

Gotowork

Good input so far and thanks for the photos. I'm using this thread for my own benefit but I'm hopeful that it can be a resource for others as well that are looking for ideas, so please contribute if you have something useful.

Couple things. I was gifted some of this cool track system with tie down a few years ago and I've just been waiting to put it to use. There are similar systems out there with little different tie downs. The ones I have are from a friend that is former Air Force and these were out of a C130. The tiedowns are super beefy and a weight rating that far exceeds anything I would do with it. I have about 8' of the tracking. A roofrack seems like a good way for me to put it to use.

C-130_Cargo_mount.jpg

One of my favorite home built roofracks was built by a local friend Johnny Lange (Wildyoats on some message boards and can be found at wildyoats.com) His rack is built from an ATV ramp. Super lightweight, very strong, low profile. He has an excellent writeup on his website. It's posssible that I may just follow suit and build one very similar to this but I thought his was worth sharing. This was the only photo I have on hand that shows his rack. His uses the Bulldog clamps, has lightmounts, shovel and hilift mounts.
_MG_9019.jpg
[
Realize this is old. But gotta say, that track system you have is bomb proof ! Veery familiar with it. Having 100's of hours in the C-130. You could even use it inside the cargo area as well. Hope you've put it to good use.UOTE]

Gotowork

Decided to build my own cargo rack. Photos attached.

Attachments

• 20180116_105554.jpg
    20180116_105554.jpg
    996.7 KB · Views: 221
  • 20180117_175926.jpg
    20180117_175926.jpg
    836 KB · Views: 219
  • 20180117_180015.jpg
    20180117_180015.jpg
    747.2 KB · Views: 211
  • overhead3.jpg
    overhead3.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 210

rally roo

Searching for some advice here:
I have a VW Touareg TDI that I'm slowly outfitting to be a camping/exploration/moto-hauler as well as my DD. I want to install a roof platform (e.g. Front Runner, Rhino, etc.) with t-slot for tie downs and accessories. There are no real off-the-shelf options, apart from getting cross bars that fit the OEM raised rails, then stacking a platform on top. That puts the total height very high which a) decreases accessibility/practicality, and b) tanks economy with a huge sail in the wind.

I want to build a custom 80/20 rack with side plates, a la Prinsu racks or the H3 pictured above, but the issue is still mounting to the OEM roof rails, compounded by the curvature and taper (wider at the front than the back) of the roof profile. I'm thinking a few of the slats could have U-bolts with a spacer that levels the rack tied around the rails (2 each side or so), then the rest of the slats supported by the side plates. Seems like it would be simple and sturdy, if not exactly quick-release.

Thoughts/sarcasm/engineering tips? Thanks!

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
Well, I ordered a 42" curved light bar for the front, plan on dropping it down below the roofline on brackets in front of the top of the windshield (to keep as low a profile as possible in front) and then build a fiberglass wind/tree fairing back to the front of the rack.
`
I plan a 3rd brake light in the middle of the back, and probably some rear facing white back-up/reverse lights back there too.

`
I'll be shaving the side turn signals from the body, and may place some of those 3/4" LEDs on the rack as well as the rear bumper.
`

I do like the idea of some side facing or angle mounted flood lights, but the light-bar I got is supposed to do some of that side flooding already. I may end up adding some down the road.

`
02KUheP.jpg

I'll post a pic or two here when I get the rack fleshed out, it will be some time before it gets cosmetic treatment- plan to Raptor-line the rack tinted in the same color as the Jeep (Plymouth Scorch Red).
`

FWIW- I bought four of these HF ATV racks for $200, but could have gotten away with 3 (for $150). I'm using cannibalized parts and pieces from the 4th rack to weld in additional bracing (I couldn't buy the steel to build this rack for less then $200, so...).
`

It was a bit of a chore welding these together on a level plane and creating structural strength in both planes. My solution was a 3/16" angle iron cross/spine down the middle of the rack. It's SOLID now without much added weight.
`
Don't laugh too hard at the welds, much was done by my 14 year old kid, and flux-core welding 14 gauge steel to 3/16" is not the prettiest chore.
`

Also, I've changed tact since my first post- The commando has a very nice and strong rain gutter type hard-top, and I'll be building a drip-gutter mounting system that will spare me from putting holes in the roof.

eTREjFR.jpg

RRXCQo2.jpg

Just to follow up on this post a bit-

I've since built out a fiberglass fairing for the front of this DIY rack, and Raptor-Lined it. FWIW- it took me 3 liters of Raptor...

4OLuKoq.jpg

GingerBeardMan78

So I decided to fab my own rack. I welded it up with my harbor freight MIG 90 amp. I have very little welding experince, but I'm learning as I go. This thing is pretty stout, and cost less than $150. The round tube is salvaged from a cheapo rack I had sitting around. I cut it up and welded it back together to make the rectangle. The 90s are from that. Not sure if I like the lights where they are or not so I'm waiting to wire them up.

IMG_20180513_125404_hdr.jpgIMG_20180513_125349_hdr.jpgIMG_20180513_125419_hdr.jpg

brianb2

Searching for some advice here:
I have a VW Touareg TDI that I'm slowly outfitting to be a camping/exploration/moto-hauler as well as my DD. I want to install a roof platform (e.g. Front Runner, Rhino, etc.) with t-slot for tie downs and accessories. There are no real off-the-shelf options, apart from getting cross bars that fit the OEM raised rails, then stacking a platform on top.

So not exactly what you're looking for, but here's an idea. I made the platform for my roof rack out of some extruded pieces of aluminum I found at the local salvage yard. Quick build and it's pretty low profile. That would be easy enough to replicate. I was able to get away from such a simple structure because it sits on top of the roof rack supports.

IMG_4870.jpg

Back to your problem, I've got a 2018 Tiguan so it probably has the same raised rails as your Touareg. It's not a vehicle I need a roof rack on all the time, but I need one for an upcoming trip and I wasn't excited about spending the money for the OEM cross bars or any of the third party ones. The platform I made for my jeep worked out well, so I went back to the salvage yard and found a couple of pieces of extruded hexagon tubing. Not as low profile, but plenty strong. Just needed a way to carry them on the raised rails. I remembered our local library has a 3d printer that the public can use and pay for the plastic used. I designed a holder for the hex tubing that would clip onto the rails and had them printed out.

If you wanted to go down that path, I'm happy to send you the 3d models if you have a way to print them out. Might give you some ideas.

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018_05_22_at_8_51_43_PM.png

rally roo

So not exactly what you're looking for, but here's an idea. I made the platform for my roof rack out of some extruded pieces of aluminum I found at the local salvage yard. Quick build and it's pretty low profile. That would be easy enough to replicate. I was able to get away from such a simple structure because it sits on top of the roof rack supports.

IMG_4870.jpg

Back to your problem, I've got a 2018 Tiguan so it probably has the same raised rails as your Touareg. It's not a vehicle I need a roof rack on all the time, but I need one for an upcoming trip and I wasn't excited about spending the money for the OEM cross bars or any of the third party ones. The platform I made for my jeep worked out well, so I went back to the salvage yard and found a couple of pieces of extruded hexagon tubing. Not as low profile, but plenty strong. Just needed a way to carry them on the raised rails. I remembered our local library has a 3d printer that the public can use and pay for the plastic used. I designed a holder for the hex tubing that would clip onto the rails and had them printed out.

If you wanted to go down that path, I'm happy to send you the 3d models if you have a way to print them out. Might give you some ideas.

IMG_4871.jpg

IMG_4872.jpg

Screen_Shot_2018_05_22_at_8_51_43_PM.png

That is an awesome solution! Did you then use U-bolts to hold the crossbar to the rail? I've thought of machining something like that out of HDPE but 3D printing lets you get exactly the shape you need. I have access to an SLA which should do the trick.

brianb2

That is an awesome solution! Did you then use U-bolts to hold the crossbar to the rail?

Thanks, it was fun. Almost designed it for u-bolts but put in some channels for zip ties first. Was impressed with how well they held. Carrying box will be held on with a ratchet strap to the factory rails, so the zip ties just hold the aluminum hex crossbar and the 3D printed pieces in place. Tried it with a fully loaded box and hitting the brakes hard. Admittedly it’s not the same as a collision or a full on panic brake, but I feel good about it.

KeyserSoSay

Adventurer
Just to follow up on this post a bit-

I've since built out a fiberglass fairing for the front of this DIY rack, and Raptor-Lined it. FWIW- it took me 3 liters of Raptor...

4OLuKoq.jpg

I've had a few people PM me about how I mount this rack to the drip rails- I've attached a couple of pics that should help explain it.

Anyone interested in how I did the fiberglass fairing can see the process here on the build thread.
http://www.earlycj5.com/xf_cj5/inde...ll-need-your-help-with-my-72-commando.126791/

K2Rcgx0.jpg

OiK7y8k.jpg

1k8ChsY.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles