Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
:ROFLMAO:Thanks Chilli. I don't really have too many other photos, but I will do my best. :ROFLMAO:

IMG_2793-L.jpg

IMG_2797-L.jpg

Jack

Last edited:

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I am a bit late to the party, but this is an excellent build. I may have missed it, but what is your fully laden weight? Also, how long is the rig?
Thanks for posting!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thank you. As far as weight...I'm heavy. With everything loaded for our traveling, I am just below 11k lbs. :eek: I really wanted 10k to be my max (truck has a 9200lbs GVWR). But, I have a 50 gallon of water tank, 52 gallons of fuel, and enough tools and spare parts that I blew it. I'll have to get a final measurement, but I should be right around 22' from tip to tail.

Jack

luthj

Engineer In Residence
That's not too bad really. I would have guessed 12k myself. With your suspension changes you are probably safe at that weight though. 22ft is really about the best overall length I think. You can still park in a standard space, and do five point turns on single lane roads.

I am guessing your range is around 650 miles?

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I agree, it's not horrible and it is our house after all. I am well within the axle and tire ratings (10k on rear axle/6k on front and 4080lbs/tire), so I'm not worried; just would have liked it closer to 10k overall. The length does seem to work. With the SWB and the 60 front, I can turn sharper than a stock truck, so that helps. I just have to watch the rear end when backing and I installed a backup camera just for that.

Yep. Did a 4500 mile round trip to Iowa and back and was averaging 11-11.5 at 70mph there and back. Again, I was hoping for a little better, but the aerodynamics are pretty ugly with the SAS, camper, and flatbed.

The worse thing and why I have been a little quiet lately, is long story short; I blew a head gasket. A couple of years ago, I ran the programmer on the 90hp setting and the truck and camper (at the time) were heavier than I thought. I overheated it (a couple of times) because of the programmer and not using the "tow/haul" mode to keep the torque converter locked up. Also, no EGT gauge. I thought I had dodged a bullet, because it wasn't an immediate problem. Every once in a while, it would display some symptoms, but they were irregular and I never had any clear signs. Well it finally gave up on the way to Iowa. Nothing catastrophic, but again, the signs became more apparent and regular. We continued our trip and just took it easy. It never overheated or blew white smoke, it would just push the coolant out of the system and over pressurize everything. I kept an eye on the coolant temperature and kept the cooling system full. We made it back home and it took a while for any of the shops could fit us in. The heads are off and at the machine shop for surfacing and new valve seals.

It will be put back together with ARP head studs and all new parts, so that should prevent a re-occurrence. I also had the ECU re-programmed by John Kennedy at Kennedy Diesel with a 40hp tune (max tow/haul program) and with the other changes I have made to the truck. That was done before the Iowa trip and the truck runs smoother and quieter, with much lower EGT's. Also having all new injectors and glow plugs installed.

Once its all back together and we get it re-packed, we are hitting the road for Baja, into Mexico, CA, and SA. So I need it as close to perfect as possible.

Jack

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Tough luck. But better in the states than somewhere deep in SA! Keep us posted on your travels, We will be heading that way again in a couple years.

Jrgunn5150

I've been reading your thread at work all week, it's quite the inspiration. I probably won't do the SAS, but I'll be imitating alot of the thing's that worked for you.

Had I finished reading sooner, I wouldn't be copying you on your taillights because I would have designed around it lol.

Mr. Merk

I've been reading your thread at work all week, it's quite the inspiration. I probably won't do the SAS, but I'll be imitating alot of the thing's that worked for you.

Had I finished reading sooner, I wouldn't be copying you on your taillights because I would have designed around it lol.

My dream truck is a combination of both of yours! Love the mil-bed and all the mechanical goodies Jack has done on his.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz