Old's Cool

bkg

Explorer
View attachment 500837

Question for my fellow 3VZE guys.

Engine was recently rebuilt, and i'm currently running 4.88 gearing with 33 12.5 15's on steelies. Miles per are less than desirable at around 12-13. Do you guys think that switching to 15" Aluminum wheels in conjunction with downsizing the tires to 32 11.5 r15 would make much of a difference in the MPG? My reasoning is that they are slightly less in diameter, and would have a reduced unsprung weight due to the decreased width of the tire, and the aluminum wheel being lighter. Even a 2-3 mpg increase would be enough for me to switch.

I can't find anything on downsizing and mpg, typically its people asking about going up.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

That's a beauty of a truck.

is it an automatic or manual? If it's an auto, it may likely have the factory "4.88's"... and you should hand calculate your mileage and accommodate for the speedo-errors. If it's a manual, you're spot-on for proper gearing.

Unfortunately, the 3zve isn't known for good mileage. before spending $1k on tires/wheels, I'd look at the basics. Tune, injectors, fuel, o2 sensors, cats, alignment, etc.

Or sell it to me. :)

Nikkshepherd

Observer
That's a beauty of a truck.

is it an automatic or manual? If it's an auto, it may likely have the factory "4.88's"... and you should hand calculate your mileage and accommodate for the speedo-errors. If it's a manual, you're spot-on for proper gearing.

Unfortunately, the 3zve isn't known for good mileage. before spending $1k on tires/wheels, I'd look at the basics. Tune, injectors, fuel, o2 sensors, cats, alignment, etc.

Or sell it to me. :)

Everyones got their price.

Arktikos

Explorer
Question for my fellow 3VZE guys.

Engine was recently rebuilt, and i'm currently running 4.88 gearing with 33 12.5 15's on steelies. Miles per are less than desirable at around 12-13. Do you guys think that switching to 15" Aluminum wheels in conjunction with downsizing the tires to 32 11.5 r15 would make much of a difference in the MPG? My reasoning is that they are slightly less in diameter, and would have a reduced unsprung weight due to the decreased width of the tire, and the aluminum wheel being lighter. Even a 2-3 mpg increase would be enough for me to switch.

I can't find anything on downsizing and mpg, typically its people asking about going up.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

Truck with stock size tires should get 16-18 mpg. At least, that's what my 3.0 auto tranny 4Runner with 160K miles gets. So yes, lighter wheels and smaller tires should make a noticeable difference.

Arktikos

Explorer
Just noticed you're only considering a minor downsize-that probably won't do much. Truck is lifted a bit, right? That's a MPG loser too. Hey, I seem to recall warning you! ;)

DJB1

My 1986 4Runner! Been my daily driver since sophomore year of high school. Sophomore in college now and just picked up a new Corolla to daily drive, so I can now officially dub my truck as a Weekend Warrior.
31343f2320d32dc1832c2ecb8804d196.jpg
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Nice ride, @WillCody86. Those 4Runner wheels are my favorite. I have 2 sets.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I cant tell, do you have locking hubs? If not, that might help the MPG's.

Yes, I have them. Not pictured in that photograph. Ive considered doing the EGR delete, headers, intake, the whole 9, but one day I hope to just swap it anyway. So Ill just it up and fill her up often.

Boss Hog

Observer
I’ve been lusting after my own Toyota pickup ever since I found this thread. Well, I traded my brother a ‘94 Discovery with a swapped 4.6L straight-up for this dirtbag deluxe ‘94 Xtracab with the 3.0 V6 (I know), lockers and the longbed. Just arrived today. Love at first sight!
85B0FB57-600D-414F-BCCB-2B978421774E.jpeg
I took this picture for comparison when I bumped into a single cab shortbed.
0DE31BD1-DACB-457E-9157-8847C936F685.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles