Old's Cool

jah__volunteer

My 1985 Toyota 4x4
It’s taken me on countless trip and thousands of miles through the Sierra and beyond.

508914df18fc2fbb4628fc3a0316d4b2.jpg

f532b29171c44619c41dcc2fded062ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WillCody86

My 1986 4Runner! Been my daily driver since sophomore year of high school. Sophomore in college now and just picked up a new Corolla to daily drive, so I can now officially dub my truck as a Weekend Warrior.
31343f2320d32dc1832c2ecb8804d196.jpg
974fb413bcd814d1bf5e2824b523c788.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ryanoddi

1995 4Runner 22RE 5 speed. Bought it just over a year ago and am enjoying it. It had 145k when I purchased and I've put about 10k on it since. Planning on an OME lift w/ HD rear springs, along with replacing all wearable steering components and bought a bushing kit to get rid of all of the old stuff. Reman CVJ axles and a remanned transmission (bummer...) but otherwise I've been very happy with it. I removed the rear seats and created a storage system in the back I will post photos of at a later date when I have some good photos of it. ARB 2500 awning and would like to get a 1250 for the rear since the window rolls down to open the tailgate and gets my bedding wet if its raining or snowing. Also have a dual battery setup installed (70ah w/ 300 watt inverter) in the back.
Attach files0I5A0427.jpg0I5A1674.jpg

Dipodomys

Observer
Haha, great post that brought back memories of my '84 XtraCab, which was super deluxe back then when I got it in the early 90s. It's too bad that mine had 200,000 hard miles on it by the time I got it, but you can't beat straight-axle and 22R simplicity.

And dude, it's not "car camping." It's OVERLANDING. C'mon!

Saint Nick

Here's my '93 2nd gen Surf. It has the 1 KZTE engine (3.0 litre turbo diesel), with an auto box. Have owned it now for around fifteen years, with the first ten being my daily driver. Only a couple of pics here but will start another thread with more pic when I'm converting it for longer overland travel.

As it was for around ten years or so

Surf 1.JPG

And as it is now - more or less! It's clean for once

Surf 2.JPG

Nick

Last edited:

Nikkshepherd

Observer
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_2f.jpg

Question for my fellow 3VZE guys.

Engine was recently rebuilt, and i'm currently running 4.88 gearing with 33 12.5 15's on steelies. Miles per are less than desirable at around 12-13. Do you guys think that switching to 15" Aluminum wheels in conjunction with downsizing the tires to 32 11.5 r15 would make much of a difference in the MPG? My reasoning is that they are slightly less in diameter, and would have a reduced unsprung weight due to the decreased width of the tire, and the aluminum wheel being lighter. Even a 2-3 mpg increase would be enough for me to switch.

I can't find anything on downsizing and mpg, typically its people asking about going up.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice. Thanks!

View attachment 500837

Engine was recently rebuilt, and i'm currently running 4.88 gearing with 33 12.5 15's on steelies. Miles per are less than desirable at around 12-13. Do you guys think that switching to 15" Aluminum wheels in conjunction with downsizing the tires to 32 11.5 r15 would make much of a difference in the MPG? My reasoning is that they are slightly less in diameter, and would have a reduced unsprung weight due to the decreased width of the tire, and the aluminum wheel being lighter. Even a 2-3 mpg increase would be enough for me to switch.

I can't find anything on downsizing and mpg, typically its people asking about going up.

I'd regear it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think going to a smaller wheel/tire would actually make it worse. Whatever you choose to do, how long are you going to have to own to recoup the cost of whatever change you make at an increase of 2-3MPG?

Looks like an awesome little truck. I'd drive it as-is.

Saint Nick

View attachment 500837

Would have thought that the 4.88 gearing would suit that size wheel. Did you have those wheels before the engine rebuild, and if so what was the mpg above what you get now?

Nick.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
I'd regear it. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think going to a smaller wheel/tire would actually make it worse. Whatever you choose to do, how long are you going to have to own to recoup the cost of whatever change you make at an increase of 2-3MPG?

Looks like an awesome little truck. I'd drive it as-is.

Well I brought it up to 4.88 gears to match the 33's. That gave it some bottom end torque to actually get the truck going, and it does about 70-75 max. Im looking to trade off just a bit of low end for some more miles per gallon. I already have the stock aluminum wheels which I got for a steal, and the Falken Wild peaks in 32" are just north of $100 per tire. Id recoup my investment by selling the 33's on the steelies.

Nikkshepherd

Observer
Would have thought that the 4.88 gearing would suit that size wheel. Did you have those wheels before the engine rebuild, and if so what was the mpg above what you get now?

Nick.

I did have these wheels on the truck prior to the rebuild... and prior to the re-gear.. which in hindsight, probably lead to the engine rebuild. I never calculated the miles per gallon previously, because I didn't really care. I was just happy to have the truck. Now, I'm looking at throwing a FWC in it and traveling around the country, so every MPG will count. Just curious if anyone thinks the one inch and lighter wheels will make a difference. OR just throw away my savings and have the R2.8 cummins put in..:love::ROFLMAO:

Saint Nick

Well I brought it up to 4.88 gears to match the 33's. That gave it some bottom end torque to actually get the truck going, and it does about 70-75 max. Im looking to trade off just a bit of low end for some more miles per gallon. I already have the stock aluminum wheels which I got for a steal, and the Falken Wild peaks in 32" are just north of $100 per tire. Id recoup my investment by selling the 33's on the steelies.
As ambulancemonkee said, I'd leave it as is, I don't think you'll see much difference.

Nick.

Saint Nick

I did have these wheels on the truck prior to the rebuild... and prior to the re-gear.. which in hindsight, probably lead to the engine rebuild. I never calculated the miles per gallon previously, because I didn't really care. I was just happy to have the truck. Now, I'm looking at throwing a FWC in it and traveling around the country, so every MPG will count. Just curious if anyone thinks the one inch and lighter wheels will make a difference. OR just throw away my savings and have the R2.8 cummins put in..:love::ROFLMAO:
IMHO you'll be wasting your time and money swapping the wheels. Drive it, enjoy it, don't go Cummins, and use your savings to go travelling ;)

Nick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles