1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ

Hackopotomus

Observer
Location: North West NV (Smith Valley) about an hour south east of Tahoe/Carson.

1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ, 4.0, AX15 speed trans, NP231 Transfer Case, 33x12.50 BFG KM2 Mud Terrains with matching spare, 8.25" rear with Detroit Locker, 4.10 gear, Dana 30 front with ARB Locker and 4.10 gear, G2 diff covers, Rock Sliders, TNT long arm kit, Fox 2.0 shocks, Rubicon Express springs, ACOS bump stops, Rocky Road high steer, frame gusset, heavy duty flipped tie rod, steering stabilizer, Smitty Built front and rear bumpers with custom spare tire carrier, Warn winch with synth line, roof rack with 40" LED light, HID front lights, Hooligan fender flares, Flowmaster exhaust, hand throttle on shifter (makes it easier to crawl with manual trans), CB radio, Alpine stereo with amps and sub, p/s, p/b, pwr windows, pwr door locks, pwr mirrors, tilt, ice cold a/c, 165K miles, runs great, this is a go anywhere do anything rig, ready to go crawling, trail riding or overlanding, very fun to drive and gets lots of looks and compliments. Also comes wit tow bar and is wired for flat towing. Asking $9,500 OBO.

Known issues: Synchros in trans are a little touchy, can't speed shift. No other issues.

Attachments

• IMG_5305 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5305 (Small).JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_5141 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5141 (Small).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_5142 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5142 (Small).JPG
    93.8 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_5143 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5143 (Small).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_5171 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5171 (Small).JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 416
  • IMG_5169 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5169 (Small).JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_5163 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5163 (Small).JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_5157 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5157 (Small).JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_5158 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5158 (Small).JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_5152 (Small).JPG
    IMG_5152 (Small).JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

NOTNSUV

Wow neighbor (Spring Creek/Elko), you put yours up for sale about the time I'm going to put mine up. Don't want to step on your toes but we could give these folks options with similar builds. Good luck. I still have to get pics to post and it's sloppy here donchaknow..

Hackopotomus

Observer
Hey, I was in Elko last fall for an EMS conference. Hope you weren't affected by the Lamoille fire.

Yeah, XJ's are a great platform. Mine is a little over built for overlanding and more of a rock crawler. I'm done with the whole crawling thing and now prefer to cover more distance on milder trails. Want to go across NV on the pony Express trail towards your way and into UT. Mine could be used as an overlander and you sure wouldn't have to worry much about getting stuck somewhere. I'm building a camper on the back of my full size pickup so that's why I'm selling this. Good luck with selling yours.

NOTNSUV

Some of the NAXJA Intermountain Chapter (Utah) did the Pony Express E-W thru Nevada a few years ago. I'd threatened to go along but life got in the way.
If you look at NAXJA there's probably still some photos and trip logs to view.

Hackopotomus

Observer
Some of the NAXJA Intermountain Chapter (Utah) did the Pony Express E-W thru Nevada a few years ago. I'd threatened to go along but life got in the way.
If you look at NAXJA there's probably still some photos and trip logs to view.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of the NAXJA. Just checked out their site and will join up although I'm a little concerned about this photo on their home page! Hope this isn't their typical trail ride! o_O:p

Decided to keep my Jeep. Had it advertised in a bunch of places but no replies anywhere so I figured even though it is way overbuilt for what I want to do now, it certainly will be nice to have the ability to tackle tougher trails if I so chose.

0gkhFDQ (Small).jpg

NOTNSUV

Yeah, it's crazy no one will pay decent money. Add up the parts alone and they're way over asking price but everyone wants dirt cheap. Oh well, have fun with it.

Hackopotomus

Observer
Yeah, it's crazy no one will pay decent money. Add up the parts alone and they're way over asking price but everyone wants dirt cheap. Oh well, have fun with it.

Thanks.

Yeah, I was going to start building my half ton pick up into an overland rig but started adding up parts costs and decided it was much cheaper to just keep the Jeep and change a few things on it. Wanted something with more interior room so may convert one of my utility trailers into an off-road trailer and pull behind the Jeep.

doug720

Expedition Leader
Hey neighbors, we are in Gardnerville. Nice Heep:)

We pass through Smith Valley area now and again. Look for a Blue-grey 60 Series LandCruiser.

Hackopotomus

Observer
Hey neighbors, we are in Gardnerville. Nice Heep:)

We pass through Smith Valley area now and again. Look for a Blue-grey 60 Series LandCruiser.

Cool! I'm in G-ville a lot although not with the Jeep. In fact, have to go there and Carson tomorrow. Do you do much local exploring?

I'm in the Sierra Stompers 4x4 club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles