Rhino-Rack BatWing Review/Write Up

BradS

Just got off the phone with Rhino Rack and was assured that the issue with the bag retaining water “has been resolved”. I hope so, I’m about about to pull the trigger on one.
I guess if you are buying new, nothing to report on fixing those who have the earlier version? I knew there would be some water, but I was rather surprised how much water accumulated in there when not in use.

Lt Dan

Observer
I guess if you are buying new, nothing to report on fixing those who have the earlier version? I knew there would be some water, but I was rather surprised how much water accumulated in there when not in use.

I purchased one a couple months ago (Batwing). I was worried about the water issue and didn't know if mine had the new and improved cover or not.

I called RR, they had me email them a pick of the cover. It was the old style. They sent me the new improved cover free!

I purchased thier Back Bone system and pioneer try for my JKU, which is what the batwing will be attached to.

Very happy with all RR products and customer service.

Lt Dan

Observer
That is a pretty good deal that they sent you a new cover!! Lets see a pic of the old cover.

OK, awning is still boxed up in storage awaiting warmer wx.

I've spent the winter working/prepping my 17 JKU for the coming summer adventures with my daughters.

Once it warms up I'll install RTT with batwing and I'll take some pics.

FYI, I no longer have the pics I sent RR of the original awning, sorry.

Lt Dan

Observer
Ok, top pic is new bottom is old.
At first I couldn't tell the difference.
But if you look at the position of the rounded cloth material the old would catch and hold water the new will allow it to roll off. I guess.
Other then that they seem identical to me.

Questions, just holler!

Attachments

• 15504304436975978763309443705985.jpg
    15504304436975978763309443705985.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 117
  • 1550430514359509693668750785827.jpg
    1550430514359509693668750785827.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 112

Lt Dan

Observer
Ok, top pic is new bottom is old.
At first I couldn't tell the difference.
But if you look at the position of the rounded cloth material the old would catch and hold water the new will allow it to roll off. I guess.
Other then that they seem identical to me.

Questions, just holler!
Ok left is new, with my hand in pic.

yeos

Observer
My new cover arrived. Here are some comparison pics. The new cover is not installed yet. The differences in the new cover that I can see are the top portion has less fabric and more of the pvc. The seam running along the top is also sewn in a way to not collect water like a gutter. The front end has a flap that covers the zipper. The bottom of the cover also has less fabric and more pvc. Unfortunately the hinge end is still open and exposed though it may be less exposed on the new cover. It would have been nice if even just the top was covered.

IMG_20190226_150031.jpgIMG_20190226_150118.jpgIMG_20190226_150245.jpgIMG_20190226_150403.jpgIMG_20190226_150518.jpg

Last edited:

yeos

Observer
I went ahead and installed it. It is difficult to zip up the cover with the guy lines and stakes stored in the awning to the point where you could break the zipper. I may store the guy lines and stakes elsewhere. The hinge end is redesigned so that the hinge is covered. The coverage is dependent on the way you secure the end flap.

IMG_20190227_161244.jpgIMG_20190227_161342.jpgIMG_20190227_162037.jpgIMG_20190227_162044.jpg

roving1

An update to my earlier post #72.

I contacted Rhinorack and after discussing my issues got a new awning sent to me free of charge. That is pretty great customer service.

I have the new bag now also. After 2 weeks of rain wind and snow melt sitting installed on the vehicle I set it up inside a heated shop to inspect . Just a tiny bit of moisture that probably blew in the quasi open end still. Considering the precip and conditions it endured I think this will be fine going forward. I think gone are the days of water pouring in my open window from the end of the bag. I still really would like metal hinge rings but we will see how these do.

Album link

Pappy

Can anybody settle this? I'm interested in the Batwing Front Edge Zippered Insert. On their webpage they list only one part number, #31124. When I look at the page it says it's compatible with both left and right side Batwings, but then it has a disclaimer saying "Not compatible with the right-hand side mounting Batwing Awning (33200)." See the screen shot. I deployed my awning for the first time in AZ last week, and I really want more coverage.

BradS

I purchased one a couple months ago (Batwing). I was worried about the water issue and didn't know if mine had the new and improved cover or not.

I called RR, they had me email them a pick of the cover. It was the old style. They sent me the new improved cover free!

I purchased thier Back Bone system and pioneer try for my JKU, which is what the batwing will be attached to.

Very happy with all RR products and customer service.
Perhaps it's because I'm in Canada, but actually contacting Rhino Rack is quite a pain. Warranty issues are supposed to go through the place of purchase, which is 550km away. The only contact information listed on rhinorack.ca is an email address "info@rhinorack.ca" which isn't very good at returning any inquiries.

dstock

Explorer
Just received my Batwing which survived shipping with the exception of one of the plugs for the cover. It's just a plastic plug that holds one end of the cover in place. I'm sure I can pick up a spare at the local auto parts store, just have to figure out the size so I'll probably shoot Rhino Rack an email. Pic of the missing/broken plug:
i-7xVsdV3-L.jpg

Looking forward to getting the awning installed on the trailer in time for ExpoWest!

CyberRube2

Agreed, if this was a pain to use I would not recommend. The fact that it is so easy to use is what is phenomenal. It is a one person job to open and setup. The poles are attached and fold down in place. This is one of the best designed awnings I have seen and the attention to detail shows.

I agree, The new version of the batwing is so easy to use its not even funny. Its way easier to deploy than a regular awning as you dont have to hold it with one hand and unroll it. This you literally just unzip the bag, pull it all out and then lower the poles. It can all be done with one hand. Heck my 9 year old daughter could set it up its so easy.

Last edited:

TantoTrailers

Well, I got to use my batwing for the first time out in the field this past weekend. Fully staked down even though it wasn't windy. The plastic legs compared to ARB's heavier legs definately are not ideal.

Needless to say when closing it up, a slight breeze came and whipped the Batwing up over the vehicle snapping 2 leg poles like twizzlers, and the canvas top ripped down a seam. Let's see how good customer service is. I doubt they will cover the whole thing under warranty, i'm sure they will say the canvas rip is not covered due to "wind factor", but the cheap plastic poles should NOT have bent so bad/snapped that they need to be replaced. Especially since my ARB awning was up on the over side of the truck and those legs have so much more weight to them... they don't move or flex at all.

Not a happy camper. Especially since I bought the extra Batwing hinge replacement parts as per Rhino Rack which they snapped at that spot but the poles themselves also broke.

Cheaply made.
Damn that sounds like a nightmare. I have had my batwing for a few months and have set it up in some wind but nothing crazy. I have the tapered extension walls which are awesome for every scenario. The replace a lot of my guylines since there are 3 stakes per wall and I am fully protected from sun, wind and rain...used them in KY for Memorial Day and we got dumped on one day, had 6 people chillin comfortably under it. I am extremely careful with my gear though so I do everything I can to baby it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier