Motorcycle or not on a MB 1120

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
Hey guys, although not at the point of really needing to make a decision what are your thoughts on bringing a motorbike along? Our truck is a Mercedes 1120 so I think weight should not be a huge issue. Bigger issue is the mounting system with the spare tire (or tires) on the back. Also for those out traveling what are your thoughts? I can see a few benefits, the biggest is being able to leave the truck parked and get to a trailhead for a hike. Maybe even go into towns/cities where the truck might be limiting. And if we do break down in a remote area it would be a way to find help. Downside is dragging a bike around and having to carry gasoline. We do plan on bringing mountain bikes along, no matter what we decide.

Neil

Observer
Prior to building the truck we used to tour on a large motorcycle. In the truck design we always wanted a motorcycle on the back.
We have 300cc bike that takes about 10 mins to get of and about 15 to put back.

The idea we would use it all the time and the reality are different.

In 1 1/2 years in south america we have used it about 5 times.

Knowing what we know now , i would not have bought it. We simply dont use it.

That extra half a meter on the back cost a fortune to ship.( hundreds of pounds ) Our average cab ride is about 2 dollars. My extra shipping costs is a lot of cabs .

Plus insurance etc . Its just not worked out for us.

I know that in the event of a truck breakdown we will be glad we have it, but as yet its hardly been used.

Neil

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
We find the motorcycle or sidecar a great addition. The bike is great for hitting the markets or grabbing some ice and beer.

Also I have had to use both of them to either grab parts or get to where I had cell service when broken down.

As for fuel, we keep the tanks full but I do carry a 1 gallon rotopak just in case.

But we are considering using a couple a ebikes when we head south. Just to get around having to have a TVIP for both vehicles.

0faa6a857209b952aadfe57bc5213321.jpg

4b72154d11b6ef2ce32bcd55ea3cadde.jpg

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That extra half a meter on the back cost a fortune to ship.( hundreds of pounds ) Our average cab ride is about 2 dollars. My extra shipping costs is a lot of cabs .

Neil

This is a very salient point. We did modify our rack to fold up and can fit the bike inside. But the reality is that I am too lazy to do that for ferry rides. It is more for security if we have to leave the vehicle parked up for an extended length of time.

Joe917

Explorer
I think Niel is right on the money. We did meet a couple a few months ago with a bike on the back of their MAN, They used it a lot, but they also tended to stay put for days or even weeks. Their biggest complaint with the bike was double the paperwork and insurance.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
We met a couple who had a pair of Gocycles in their Sprinter based van. https://gocycle.com

Folded up to nearly nothing, but rode, very, very well. No manual throttle, but the pedal boost feels like a throttle. Hard to describe, but very natural. We will be giving a hard look this summer.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Great discussion topic. We've been back and forth on this topic for some time. Heck, just yesterday I was test driving a couple of scooters. The crazy thing is we have a perfect motorcycle for the back of our Tiger, (KLR250 Super Sherpa) but a scooter just seemed fun. We also looked at some e-bikes.....just not sure of our use yet to justify the added weight.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Other options to get around the insurance and licensing are the Motoped especially the “Survival” or the 2x2 Ubco.

Both have been proven for our type of travel. Travis from Van22 took the motoped through central and South America and Lance Gilles has the Ubco on his Earth Cruiser.

mexjtc

I looked very hard at these. When you read the instructions it says that it is not designed for off-road use. Since it attaches to the hard parts of the bike, there is no shock absorbing by the bike’s suspension. Please, someone that has used one, tell me I’m wrong because this looks so sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GHI

Adventurer
I looked very hard at these. When you read the instructions it says that it is not designed for off-road use. Since it attaches to the hard parts of the bike, there is no shock absorbing by the bike’s suspension. Please, someone that has used one, tell me I’m wrong because this looks so sweet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Check out post #141 from PICS of your bike on your vehicle. I believe Willywalderbeast has one on a Tacoma. Give him a PM. I'm currently browsing for options and don't actually have one. Sweet little G310 GS he has too. Jonturgeon I'll give you a great deal on a TW200.

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/pics-of-your-bike-on-your-vehicle.37633/page-10

Grenadiers

Adventurer
We debated this topic for quite some time. Between a motorcycle to a scooter, we settled on E-bikes. The idea to run them on the Baja beach, or fetch a new supply of beer! We have the rack and hoist on the back for a motorcycle. I added a Curt Mfg 15000# adjustable hitch to the back, and bought a twin bike 1up-USA rack. Expensive rack, but easy to use. Plus we can use the bikes at our home. We’re older, so these get us outdoors to infinity and beyond! Well, as long as the battery lets us!

Attachments

• 80FCA509-92B0-4B90-8A68-9E79D12A824C.jpeg
    80FCA509-92B0-4B90-8A68-9E79D12A824C.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 65
  • 1D7AB276-4D50-4413-9111-4895E4E350CA.jpeg
    1D7AB276-4D50-4413-9111-4895E4E350CA.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 61

VerMonsterRV

Gotta Be Nuts
So, although I rode a dirt bike as a teen I have yet to own a road legal bike. When you guys talk about insurance, paperwork and licensing I am assuming outside of the USA? I know in VT registration is $35 a year, but unsure of the insurance. If I was to buy, I would buy used 200cc dual sport (like the TW200 or 250 Super Sherpa) so was thinking the insurance would be pretty low.

GHI

Adventurer
Yes, these guys bring up some very valid points. The hassle of bringing a second motorized vehicle outside of the US is a hassle. Adds double the time, paperwork and fees. Inside the U.S. I'll most likely never leave home without a secondary mode of wheels. Here's why.

I tried to link up with friends in a semi-remote part of Michigan. No GPS and thought I could remember the way. The two track I was on kept getting smaller and smaller until I got stuck in the sand. No cell service. Unloaded the TW and went on an adventure to find some muscle. In the end I was only 5 miles out of the way from point A to B, but would not have wanted to walk that.

Another time I dug myself into a mud pit in the Porcupine Mtn's in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. No cell service, no TW because I was gonna leave my rig for a week or so while I hiked. Digging myself out proved to be fruitless. My rig was about to tip over. I was blessed, at some point hours later, a ranger happened to stroll by with an alternative form of communication for calling a tow truck.

And then there is the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. I have a love affair for that place, but after I set up camp it's like 18 miles one way to the store. Who wants to tear down half the camp to go get the gatorade you really want.

These E bikes really are looking pretty appealing though.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I would buy used 200cc dual sport (like the TW200 or 250 Super Sherpa) so was thinking the insurance would be pretty low.

I have (and recommend) a TW200. Living in the southwest we have a little bit of sand to contend with. And even I can ride a TW200 in the sand. But they are so low to the ground and easy to ride anyone can do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles