Talk Me Out of an OBS as a budget overlanding rig!

ultraclyde

Observer
I definitely get the better availability of parts outside the US. With that said, I think you would be better off looking at the early Super Duty style trucks with the second gen 7.3. Like @glock7018 said, the OBS trucks aren't as solid from a frame perspective. I once pulled into a paved drive at a campground that was off camber and it twisted the truck enough I couldn't open the tailgate. Plus the SD trucks don't have the "collecter" mentality that's starting to get attached to the OBS trucks.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
The 3/4-1 Ton "OBS" Ford truck was designed in the 1970's with upgrades until the end of the model run in 1997. Remember the first version of the "OBS" Ford truck was first offered for sale in the 1980 model year. Dodge in this era ran their "OBS" from 1972-1993 with upgrades of this 1960's designed and engineered truck. GM ran their "OBS" from 1973-1991 with late 1960's early 1970's design, engineering and upgrades. Good trucks however nowhere near "Modern" in so many ways by today's standard!

Fact of the matter is these "OBS" trucks are down right CRUDE!

The new "Heavy" F250/F350 Ford truck started anew in 1999. These trucks were designed clean sheet in the mid 1990's. Dodge started their new body in 1994 with early 1990's engineering. They made a big upgrade in 2003 with a new Dodge truck. GM started their 3/4-1 ton trucks in 1992 with late 1980's engineering and again in 2001 with the new design truck engineered in the late 1990's. In each situation the "New" trucks took huge in leaps in engineering, comfort, reliability, fuel economy and design over their previous "OBS" older brothers.

If you look at ALL VEHICLES not just trucks offered for sale in total by ALL OEM manufacturer's world wide between 1998-2005 virtually every OEM manufacturer completely re-engineered and re-designed every model of every vehicle they offered in their total lineup during this time frame with modern CAD design and modern manufacturing practices for parts. DIGITAL control is a wonderful thing! GM, Ford, Dodge, Honda, Toyota on and on ALL totally re-designed and re-engineered their complete brand and vehicle model offerings. ALL for the better!

Starting in 2001 with GM you have a completely new truck with the revolutionary LS based gas engine, Duramax Diesel and the 8.1 litre "Big Block" engine options. While the old Chevy Small Block was a good engine that engine in NO WAY COMPARES AT ALL to the LS engine which is a TRULY GREAT ENGINE! Little if anything offered anywhere in the world by any manufacturer comes close to an LS engine for power, reliability, small packaging and aftermarket support. Used parts are EVERYWHERE! Ford/International in all their wisdom decided NOT to make the 7.3 diesel emissions compliant and bestowed upon the Ford faithful the 6.0 Powerstroke! What a disaster! Dodge in 2003 came up with their new truck and upgraded once again the Cummins 5.9 24 valve to the Common Rail HO 5.9 which is probably their best diesel effort installing the HO 24 valve 5.9 a truck that was now overall a pretty good truck!

The automotive world took HUGE gains in quality, reliability, ergonomics, fuel economy and most anything else you can think of during this GLORIOUS TIME OF REVOLUTION NOT JUST EVOLUTION (1998-2005) in the automotive and truck world. Look at the automotive aftermarket, the car shows on TV and the new fantastic parts offered for many vehicles that are based upon engineering concepts from this time period. Much of this innovation goes back to this 1998-2005 era when the OEM's FINALLY decided to spend the money to design and sell much better vehicles. This trend now means newer designs and upgraded on a more frequent basis. No more 16-18 year runs for a truck body design. Most will say that's a good thing and few with piss and moan! The Chevy LS Engine family is by far the most used engine for engine swaps in most any vehicle, car or truck.

Expensive? Yes all this new engineering, innovation and manufacturing technology costs money and you the customer are gonna have pay for it! The rewards are MUCH BETTER TRUCKS in oh so many ways! Given all these facts why would anyone in today's world (2019) want to consider anything "OBS" built before 1998-2005 for any type of daily driver or Overland vehicle that they will full time travel within?

Nostalgia? Your Cheap? You live in a cave and hate progress? I guess there are all sorts of reasons to justify in your own mind and thoughts about why an "OBS" truck is so good. For the rest of us nothing could be further from the truth!

All I can say is this:

They sure don't make cars and trucks like they used to!

As for myself I am sure as Hell glad they DON'T!!!!

Last edited:

brp

Observer
Have you thought about a SRW 4x4 Schoolie/Bus, or equivalent configuration? It seems like that could work really well for you and you already mentioned the additional comforts of the bus. I know you mentioned the cost of 4x4 conversion, there are such vehicles already converted and for under $20k.

You do really end up with a lot more space utilization with a pass-through van/bus than a truck with camper. You can make use of the living space while underway, and then use the driver and passenger seats, on swivels, as La-z-boys while in camp. The hood is going to be 1-2ft shorter, that is 1-2ft more for living space.

BajaSurfRig

I got a 96 7.3 4x4 CCLB with 212k clean grandpa edition and an older four wheel camper for within your budget.

From my travel experience in Mexico parts for these older Fords are everywhere and every mechanic has seen and works on them regularly (not sure how that will be as you go further south).

Yes some of the engineering is a touch outdated but they are proven reliable platforms that work. It is also nice having tapered front wheel bearings, and dual tanks (with the ability to put in larger ones).

With some modifications you can update them to your liking; mine has a sterling 10.5 (with disc brakes), electronic fuel pump with spin on fuel filters, and an electric sliding rear window.

There are pro's and con's to both, in all reality they will all work for what you need. Maintenance is key.

Disfruta su viaje!

mvrk10256

I think it was mentioned earlier but a Chev/GMC with an LS 6.0 is cheap, ubiquitous, and with a few suspension mods (reasonably priced) can be made quite capable and reliable. On the diesel side I would look for a cummins over a powerstroke, as the fuel system can be made "Mexico-proof" more easily and the engines and transmissions on a whole are better. Of course the quality of the interior is worse. If you are locked into a truck + camper its definitely doable on your budget as long as you have time. Here in texas you can get a large comfortable slide in camper in good working order for around $5k or less. The truck for under $10k. Figure $1500 for rear bags, front level, and maybe some protection. $1000 for maintenance, fuel filter upgrades (on diesel), ect. Should be well within your budget.

eblau

Adventurer
The 3/4-1 Ton "OBS" Ford truck was designed in the 1970's with upgrades until the end of the model run in 1997.......!!

This was a good read! I agree with you 100%

Now that I have showered praise upon my beloved pair of crewcabs the vacuum pump has gone out on the powerstroke and the front end is making a light grinding noise in 4WD. :rolleyes::cautious:

RPhil

Adventurer
For 20k, I would recommend looking into the Super Duty with a V10. They have been around for a long time and all issues are well known and documented. Biggest annoyances are spark plug blowouts and exhaust manifold studs, in my opinion.

If it were up to me, I would stick to looking 2005-2010 Super Duty to get the coil sprung front axle. The V10 will be far cheaper to get into than the diesel (not to mention I would recommend staying away from the 6.0 and 6.4 that are found in these model years anyways...). It will pull whatever camper you put in the bed, just don't be afraid of the RPM's. Look for a factory 4.30 gearset. Find the most rust free example in your budget and go from there.

OBS trucks are getting up there in age and cleaner examples are demanding top dollar from what I have seen. The increase in complexity is well worth the tradeoff to get into something a bit newer, especially considering the amount of part and knowledge availability.

I have considered trading my Excursion to get into a 2005+ Super Duty as well but I can't bring myself to actually do it.

Good luck!

SixLug

Explorer
Haven’t read the thread. But I had a 97 F250 for a few years with the 7.3 PS.

My thoughts if you go that route:

- later model truck OBS
- do a D60 swap. Mine was sub $1000
- do electric fuel pumps
- pull the bed, and make new fuel pickups.

I’d consider that a minimums list. If I bought one again, that’s the first few things I would do. Especially for long stretches away from civilization.

zelseman

Observer
I definitely get the better availability of parts outside the US. With that said, I think you would be better off looking at the early Super Duty style trucks with the second gen 7.3. Like @glock7018 said, the OBS trucks aren't as solid from a frame perspective. I once pulled into a paved drive at a campground that was off camber and it twisted the truck enough I couldn't open the tailgate. Plus the SD trucks don't have the "collecter" mentality that's starting to get attached to the OBS trucks.
The 3/4-1 Ton "OBS" Ford truck was designed in the 1970's with upgrades until the end of the model run in 1997. Remember the first version of the "OBS" Ford truck was first offered for sale in the 1980 model year. Dodge in this era ran their "OBS" from 1972-1993 with upgrades of this 1960's designed and engineered truck. GM ran their "OBS" from 1973-1991 with late 1960's early 1970's design, engineering and upgrades. Good trucks however nowhere near "Modern" in so many ways by today's standard!

Fact of the matter is these "OBS" trucks are down right CRUDE!

The new "Heavy" Ford started in 1999. These trucks were designed clean sheet in the mid 1990's. Dodge started their new body in 1994 with early 1990's engineering. They made a big upgrade in 2003 with a new Dodge truck. GM started their 3/4-1 ton trucks in 1992 with late 1980's engineering and again in 2001 with the new design truck engineered in the late 1990's. In each situation the "New" trucks took huge in leaps in engineering, comfort, reliability, fuel economy and design over their previous "OBS" older brothers.

If you look at ALL VEHICLES not just trucks offered for sale in total by ALL OEM manufacturer's world wide between 1998-2005 virtually every OEM manufacturer completely re-engineered and re-designed every model of every vehicle they offered in their total lineup during this time frame with modern CAD design and modern manufacturing practices for parts. DIGITAL control is a wonderful thing! GM, Ford, Dodge, Honda, Toyota on and on ALL totally re-designed and re-engineered their complete brand and vehicle model offerings. ALL for the better!

Starting in 2001 with GM you have a completely new truck with the revolutionary LS based gas engine, Duramax Diesel and the 8.1 litre "Big Block" engine options. While the old Chevy Small Block was a good engine that engine in NO WAY COMPARES AT ALL to the LS engine which is a TRULY GREAT ENGINE! Little if anything offered anywhere in the world by any manufacturer comes close to an LS engine for power, reliability, small packaging and aftermarket support. Used parts are EVERYWHERE! Ford/International in all their wisdom decided NOT to make the 7.3 diesel emissions compliant and bestowed upon the Ford faithful the 6.0 Powerstroke! What a disaster! Dodge in 2003 came up with their new truck and upgraded once again the Cummins 5.9 24 valve to the Common Rail HO 5.9 with is probably their best effort installing the HO 24 valve 5.9 a truck that was now overall a pretty good truck!

The automotive world took HUGE gains in quality, reliability, ergonomics, fuel economy and most anything else you can think of during this GLORIOUS TIME OF REVOLUTION NOT JUST EVOLUTION (1998-2005) in the automotive and truck world. Look at the automotive aftermarket, the car shows on TV and the new fantastic parts offered for many vehicles that are based upon engineering concepts from this time period. Much of this innovation goes back to this 1998-2005 era when the OEM's FINALLY decided to spend the money to design and sell much better vehicles. This trend now means newer designs and upgraded on a more frequent basis. No more 16-18 year runs for a truck body design. Most will say that's a good thing and few with piss and moan! The Chevy LS Engine family is by far the most used engine for engine swaps in most any vehicle car or truck.

Expensive? Yes all this new engineering, innovation and manufacturing technology costs money and you the customer are gonna have pay for it! The rewards are MUCH BETTER TRUCKS in oh so many ways! Given all these facts why would anyone in today's world (2019) want to consider anything "OBS" built before 1998-2005 for any type of daily driver or Overland vehicle that they will full time travel within?

Nostalgia? Your Cheap? You live in a cave and hate progress? I guess there are all sorts of reasons to justify in your own mind and thoughts about why an "OBS" truck is so good. For the rest of us nothing could be further from the truth!

All I can say is this:

They sure don't make cars and trucks like they used to!

As for myself I am sure as Hell glad they DON'T!!!!
Thanks for taking the time to post that. I have been digging into the changes that happened around the 2000 mark and it's quite amazing how much old tech was still on the road.
You have me considering newer models!

Have you thought about a SRW 4x4 Schoolie/Bus, or equivalent configuration? It seems like that could work really well for you and you already mentioned the additional comforts of the bus. I know you mentioned the cost of 4x4 conversion, there are such vehicles already converted and for under $20k.

You do really end up with a lot more space utilization with a pass-through van/bus than a truck with camper. You can make use of the living space while underway, and then use the driver and passenger seats, on swivels, as La-z-boys while in camp. The hood is going to be 1-2ft shorter, that is 1-2ft more for living space.

Check out our current bus, it is exactly what you describe only 2WD and DRW.
Have you tried to track down a SRW, 4x4 skoolie with no rust and under $10k? With a diesel they are harder to find yet. You don't have to sell me on the benefits of living in a skoolie, I love that thing! Our skoolie is still a consideration as we could find a 4x4 donor frame and swap everything over, but that takes time and a shop. We are always looking for the holy grail of skoolies as we really enjoy the school bus platform.

I got a 96 7.3 4x4 CCLB with 212k clean grandpa edition and an older four wheel camper for within your budget.

From my travel experience in Mexico parts for these older Fords are everywhere and every mechanic has seen and works on them regularly (not sure how that will be as you go further south).

Yes some of the engineering is a touch outdated but they are proven reliable platforms that work. It is also nice having tapered front wheel bearings, and dual tanks (with the ability to put in larger ones).

With some modifications you can update them to your liking; mine has a sterling 10.5 (with disc brakes), electronic fuel pump with spin on fuel filters, and an electric sliding rear window.

There are pro's and con's to both, in all reality they will all work for what you need. Maintenance is key.

Disfruta su viaje!

As is the case with anything, proper maintenance!

I think it was mentioned earlier but a Chev/GMC with an LS 6.0 is cheap, ubiquitous, and with a few suspension mods (reasonably priced) can be made quite capable and reliable. On the diesel side I would look for a cummins over a powerstroke, as the fuel system can be made "Mexico-proof" more easily and the engines and transmissions on a whole are better. Of course the quality of the interior is worse. If you are locked into a truck + camper its definitely doable on your budget as long as you have time. Here in texas you can get a large comfortable slide in camper in good working order for around $5k or less. The truck for under $10k. Figure $1500 for rear bags, front level, and maybe some protection. $1000 for maintenance, fuel filter upgrades (on diesel), ect. Should be well within your budget.

We are heavily researching this option as it seems to check the most boxes. It's a rugged enough truck with replacement parts available. Aftermarket support is abysmal, but that's to be expected. Most of all it's affordable, which is nice! I would love for a project to come in under budget for once.

For 20k, I would recommend looking into the Super Duty with a V10. They have been around for a long time and all issues are well known and documented. Biggest annoyances are spark plug blowouts and exhaust manifold studs, in my opinion.

If it were up to me, I would stick to looking 2005-2010 Super Duty to get the coil sprung front axle. The V10 will be far cheaper to get into than the diesel (not to mention I would recommend staying away from the 6.0 and 6.4 that are found in these model years anyways...).
I think that generation with the V10 is a contender right now, just hard to find one around $10k with under 150k miles that isn't from the rust belt. It seems everyone in dry climates that has one, keeps them. We will keep looking though.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The v10 didn't have any weird cam phasers IIRC. Turned out to be a decent crate engine as well. I've never had spark plug issues with the 10'. If I come across one that already had it's plugs changed, I skip that step.

zelseman

Observer

ultraclyde

Observer
I don't blame you. Seriously though, buying in a rust free area and driving it home can be a great way to go for an older vehicle. I just sold the old Jeep listed in my signature to a guy from Detroit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior