DIY Discada "Skottle" Cooker $65.00

brianb2

At work so all I have is PowerPoint to draw with, but you’ve got some interesting options. Not exactly a skottle, but you could use the boxy-ness of the stove to your advantage. I dig the designs of the Australian company DRIFTA, and you could build something inspired by those guys.

Maybe build a box around the stove and disc that works like a carrying case, but have the box open up and become part of the stand.

c9fed219a52f858a7f03af2ee6fc0d18.jpg

61e989dcd495243ffa548891dc1adddd.jpg

a7ff5a96e2801c6048c6a5d019ce6a03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
Remember those butane cartridge stoves are not designed to have something over the fuel cartridge reflecting heat back, bad things can happen when the fuel heats up. Gas One makes a dual fuel version that comes with a propane hose that allows the use of the 1# propane cylinders in addition to the butane cartridges and that detached propane cylinder would be preferable when using something larger like the disk cookers.

Incidentally this site has once again cost me money, I order one of the cookers yesterday.

krick3tt

Adventurer
The skottle itself is rather inexpensive. The 3/8 threaded holes accept all-thread. I made a canvas holder for the skittle and the rods. The stove holder is from sheet aluminum cut with saber saw and then sanded to remove rough edges. The holder has adjustable height by way of 3/8 nuts and washers on each side of holder legs.
Haven't tried it yet but it appears to be as functional as others I have seen.
I just have to experiment. Seeing the many variations it just seems to be natural that so many ways to accomplish this are phenomenal.

Attachments

• DSC00577.JPG
    DSC00577.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 154
  • DSC00578.JPG
    DSC00578.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 159
  • DSC00579.JPG
    DSC00579.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 157
  • DSC00580.JPG
    DSC00580.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 162
  • DSC00581.JPG
    DSC00581.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 166
  • DSC00582.JPG
    DSC00582.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 157
  • DSC00583.JPG
    DSC00583.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 153
  • DSC00584.JPG
    DSC00584.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 142

trae

Adventurer
The skottle itself is rather inexpensive. The 3/8 threaded holes accept all-thread. I made a canvas holder for the skittle and the rods. The stove holder is from sheet aluminum cut with saber saw and then sanded to remove rough edges. The holder has adjustable height by way of 3/8 nuts and washers on each side of holder legs.
Haven't tried it yet but it appears to be as functional as others I have seen.
I just have to experiment. Seeing the many variations it just seems to be natural that so many ways to accomplish this are phenomenal.

Brilliant. What rods are those? I’m assuming two or more can be combined via a coupler to make the whole assembly taller?

krick3tt

Adventurer
It is in the description. " The 3/8 threaded holes accept all-thread." But perhaps it is not as clear printed out as it is in my thoughts.
3/8 inch all thread rod. Yes one could put them together with couplings but the rod comes in over 6 foot sections already, make them as tall as you want right from the get go.
I only made it as tall as it needed to be to accept the propane canister.
It seems that the taller it gets the less stable it is.

brianb2

Nice one. I like your stove holder also. I just made a small windscreen for mine, and that stove holder would have made attaching it a piece of cake.

Here’s an accessory any of you making one of these should consider. From the hardware store grab a round magnet and a wooden knob. Then stop by a cooking supply or Asian market and pick up a stainless steel bowl. Instant lid. Opens up lots of possibilities for cooking. Plus you have a large bowl. I bought three because they nest really well and three take up the same amount of space as one.

d2e1bf83a9fd2eba419c641e1b9c72fa.jpg

9fa360d9fd568f687ffc2b1e4eed83c1.jpg

trae

Adventurer
It is in the description. " The 3/8 threaded holes accept all-thread." But perhaps it is not as clear printed out as it is in my thoughts.
3/8 inch all thread rod. Yes one could put them together with couplings but the rod comes in over 6 foot sections already, make them as tall as you want right from the get go.
I only made it as tall as it needed to be to accept the propane canister.
It seems that the taller it gets the less stable it is.

Got it, all thread rod is new for me. Appreciate the explanation.

The op didn’t mention any issues with stability and I wonder what makes the skottle stable. One of the desired features in such a system for me is that it doesn’t require a table and is “counter height”...

krick3tt

Adventurer
Not sure where you are in the world. I buy my threaded rod at Lowes, Home Depot or Ace depending on which is closer when I am in my search for parts mode.

brianb2

Magnets do not stick to my SS bowls, how do you get them to stick to your bowl?

No idea. Sounds like either your bowls or my bowls aren’t stainless steel. I thought magnets and steel were like me and beer - there’s just a natural attraction.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
No idea. Sounds like either your bowls or my bowls aren’t stainless steel. I thought magnets and steel were like me and beer - there’s just a natural attraction.

There are different grades of stainless. The worse quality it is, the more ferrous (magnetic) it is. Cheap bowls are probably crap quality. Actual 304 or 316 won't hold a magnet at all.

Lt Dan

Observer
This is my own twist on things.
I wanted as few separate parts as possible and quick as possible set up.

Not sure if I'll regret grilling 4 small holes in the bottom lip but so far so good.

Attachments

• 15502470364127433875527437851273.jpg
    15502470364127433875527437851273.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 141

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles