Project Victory_Overland 08 LR3 Build Thread!

MAX4433

Awning mounted ok and fit was great... BUT, didn't realize that the Shadow Awning needs support at the rear hinge point. The Prospeed roof rack needs to have something fabricated or some ingenious mounts made that are floating out there in the overland world. The C-channel that the awning is incased in started bending fro the stress of no support :(
No pics yet until I can figure this debacle.

Do you think using the Alu-Cab aluminum bar mounted to the prospeed awning mounts, then mounting the Alu-Cab awning to the aluminum bar, and letting the bar overhang the rear mount by about 18 inches. Do you think that would be strong enough to support the awning in the back? I would be using the alu-cab bar as a stiffener to support the rear of the awning where it swings opens. Then you can still fold the prospeed mounts back to lay the awning on top of the rack, to give it better clearance on the side.

harbinger808

Adventurer
Do you think using the Alu-Cab aluminum bar mounted to the prospeed awning mounts, then mounting the Alu-Cab awning to the aluminum bar, and letting the bar overhang the rear mount by about 18 inches. Do you think that would be strong enough to support the awning in the back? I would be using the alu-cab bar as a stiffener to support the rear of the awning where it swings opens. Then you can still fold the prospeed mounts back to lay the awning on top of the rack, to give it better clearance on the side.

pm what you are thinking about doing. i too had 2 of the PS awning brackets. they could not hold the weight of the shadowawning. i think even if i had 4 or 5 of them they would still flex and snap off at the hinges. unfortunately, my solution was to weld 2 supports to a steel plate and mount the rear (hinge) of the awning to that bracket. it can no longer fold down which is fine for our needs.

Attachments

• shadow1.JPG
    shadow1.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 77
  • shadow5.JPG
    shadow5.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 84
  • shadow9.JPG
    shadow9.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 83
Fellas, please post your individual modifications on your build page or another thread for specific kit designs (Maybe this was a mistake cut and paste!:unsure:)! The last four posts having nothing to do with anything I've done on my truck and don't want it to get overrun with stuff not related to my build.....I do love that Prospeed and AluCab kit though! :D

Cheers fellas! (y)

E

Any update on the sleeping platform? Im in the process of designing mine and am super curious to see what others have come up with?

Nothing further complete yet on the platform as I have been traveling a lot and came home to a waterlogged and broken yard fence.....lol.

I'll try and get the platform on the frame this week or next.

Selling my Tactical Rovers LR3/4 Rear swing out. Single side for the TR rear bumper. The carrier was never power coated so there is a bit of surface rust but otherwise in perfect working order. I am selling because I am fabricating a custom carrier that extends across the entire bumper and do not need this anymore.

Sells for $560 from TR new; asking $360!

All hardware is included that came with the carrier. I have the brand new gas strut for it as well that I never used (comes with, just not in the picture).

Located in Oceanside, CA but I can deliver to Orange County or Riverside/San Bernardino this week if needed as I will up there for work.

Pick-up or local area meet up only as I am not willing to go through the shipping process.

$360 O.B.O.

From the TR Site!

So I finally got around to getting part of the top down on the sleeping platform. Here is the progress so far and I expect to have the side portions of the fridge laid down over the seats later today; wishful thinking.

I am using 1/2" black starboard for my platform; Starboard is heavier and more expensive! However, in my opinion, Starboard much easier to work with and does not require sealing and such as most wood platforms should have. Bottom line, this is a personal preference which allows me to cut and install and be done with it.

Using my better judgement and doing the math on cubic storage, I decided that making full side panels with marine type storage insert cubbies on the side was not worth the extra labor and cost; I decided to put the OEM side panels back in with the small cubbies and cup holders as this meets my needs and will allow for factory fit of another design project I have in mind later on.

The plastic protection still on the starboard and I used 1" self tapping (predrilled the Starboard) to secure platform to the frame. At some point, I will remove the cover and install Rivnuts and machine screws for panel removal as needed. The RED arrow and GREEN box will be where I mount the electrical panel (mounted on front side) for items such as the BlueSea Accy Fuse Box, Solar Controller, etc. since that seat will stay in the truck, folded down, and only used if absolutely needed; all other seats will be removed permanently.

Another long day pecking away at the fit. I have some trimming to do yet and finish the legs on the right side where the second row seat would be. So far so good, solid, no wiggle or vibration, and ready for me to take the measurements for the sleeping pad. I have to lower the fridge a 1/2" so I can put a drop in panel over the fridge; the other option is just use a thicker pad in that area that drops in and out to access the fridge!

Suggestions alway welcome!

Ray_G

Explorer
For the fridge leveling I think it depends on where you see your head. If down on that end of the truck, worth the investment of the time to do the panel-if you see yourself facing the other way, I'd just put a pad on it and be done since ultimately either solution will get in the way of fridge access the rest of the time (to some degree or another).

What's the area at the front going to be used for adjacent to the fridges, under the structure?

Looks good, well built and clean.
r-
Ray

@Ray_G I agree and have decided since I know I prefer my feet out the back hatch, I will take the time to lower the fridge and level it to clear a drop in panel. With that said, I realistically could have lowered everything almost another 1.5" if I had removed all of the carpet in the cab (2nd Row) area, but, my goal was to preserve as much insulation and sound proofing in that area since the 3rd row area is completely bare.

Left Hand 2nd Row Seat:
This seat will stay installed and folded down in its lowest setting. The purpose is to have a seat available in the event I need to put someone in for some other purpose than normal operation and have a seat belt (Take an extra buddy, recovery from trail, etc.). Under the sleep panel (LH Side Fridge) I built a cubby that actually levels the panel on top of the seat and supports the weight of the platform. The panel is held in by 3 x 10/32 stainless screws and rivnuts connected to the welded frame. I can take this panel out in less than a minute by removing the screws. The cubby is approximately 2.5sqft (17"x17"x10.5" inside dim) and will have access from the top by a 13"x17" marine grade flush door. (Still in the mail).

13" x 17" Marine Access Door Template

Approx: 2.5sqft of storage (Bottom not installed until the access door arrives). Panel is upside down for the photo!

Left Hand Side Platform Installed:

Right Hand 2nd Row Seat:
This seat will be permanently removed! I am building a support frame that will house a fresh water tank with valved drain and it will sit as low as possible to the floor for CG purposes. I decided to put this tank on the opposite side from me as I will always be in the vehicle and may or may not have a passenger in the co-pilot seat. Therefore, having the water weight and potential heavy storage items in this area will help keep me balanced as much as possible and opposite me and hopefully I keep around a skinny co-pilot! Hahaha!

Right Hand Platform Installed: (Awaiting adjustable threaded rod for legs).

Finally, the original design had my Power Distribution Panel (PDP) on the right hand side where it is installed today. I will cover the LH side as well and may decide to move the components to the LH side once I have everything installed. I am unsure of what side will have the easiest access for troubleshooting, but more than likely it will be the RH side where it is installed now due to ease of removing the RH sleeping platform panel without the cubby modification. I am debating on making a cubby on the LH side as well but will not make that decision until the water tank and such are installed and I can confirm the actual dimensions. I may install the marine door regardless to gain access to any components under the panel.

I was able to successfully lower the fridge almost a full inch and you can see my Traxide harness laying on the NL Weekender 50 fridge tray. I will run that main power for the house battery to the BlueSea box that will be installed on the PDP; this should make it easy to disconnect by removing the power and ground in the event I need to remove the platform.

Attachments

• IMG_8042.JPG
    IMG_8042.JPG
    997.9 KB · Views: 14
Selling my Tactical Rovers LR3/4 Rear swing out. Single side for the TR rear bumper. The carrier was never power coated so there is a bit of surface rust but otherwise in perfect working order. I am selling because I am fabricating a custom carrier that extends across the entire bumper and do not need this anymore.

Sells for $560 from TR new; asking $360!

All hardware is included that came with the carrier. I have the brand new gas strut for it as well that I never used (comes with, just not in the picture).

Located in Oceanside, CA but I can deliver to Orange County or Riverside/San Bernardino this week if needed as I will up there for work.

Pick-up or local area meet up only as I am not willing to go through the shipping process.

$360 O.B.O.

View attachment 513286

From the TR Site!
View attachment 513287

SOLD SOLD SOLD

I'm finally done with all of the platform leg clevis's and the parts have arrived. Finally finished up the clevis mount brackets for my adjustable arms for the sleeping platform. Picked up these ATV billet and anodized tie-rods on Amazon for dirt cheap and they are perfect for this application and far stronger than I'll ever need; the best part is they are completely adjustable to I level it and install the hardware and donski! Eventually I'll pick up quick-release pins for the bottom to allow for easy removal with two pins and three screws.
IMG_5111.JPG

The marine door will be for the storage cubby on the driver side forward platform but that's going to have to wait until after the upcoming work trip; I have to route out and recess the door in the platform so it's going to take a bit of time for the template. If it all goes well, I may add one more on the passenger side to access the fresh water tank and electrical whenever I get around to starting that project.
IMG_6057.JPG

Stuck with the same self-tapping screws for install.
IMG_5504.JPG

Installed and leveled. Again, eventually the bottom bolts will get replaced with quick-release pins and I am considering a clevis bracket with quick release pin on the hard-mounted screw side to make this a tool-free remove/install.
IMG_3479.JPG

The lower mounting plates and clevis mounts are off-set to allow for the additional mounting of the interior fresh-water tank brackets; once wiring is complete on the power distribution panel (PDP), I'll be able to start on the water tank.
IMG_3795.JPG

Finally, the first West Coast sunset from the sleeping platform!
IMG_6551.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles