Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

i know SB has the door and tongue box seals in stock. I had to replace mine after a detailer decided to cut them with his pressure washer. I was surprised he didnt get the tires at the same time.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
i know SB has the door and tongue box seals in stock. I had to replace mine after a detailer decided to cut them with his pressure washer. I was surprised he didnt get the tires at the same time.

Ouch...... that must not have been a good day for you.
I will ping them and ask.
Thanks

RyanHeller

Observer
The long awaited, highly sought after Smittybilt Scout Tent Rack Lift Strut kits are now available.

Tent_Rack_Lift_Strut_Kit_-_Smittybilt_Scout_-_Habitat_Offroad_1024x1024.jpg

Also now available, a space-saving Stabilizer Jack Mount. Feel free to add any questions or comments.
Stablizer_Jack_Mount_Smittybilt_Scout_-_Habitat_Offroad_1024x1024.jpg

bkone

Now curing and about ready to cast the lid......
I see the light and it's not a freight train.... ha.
View attachment 498267

Here is a question for the collective. The entire inner side of the opening will have a 1-2mm vertical brace. I plan to round up a weather strip gasket like the Smitty has on the main openings. Any one knows where to source them?

Kind of like this one.....
View attachment 498269
McMaster-Carr may have them https://www.mcmaster.com/door-weatherstripping

My overlandXL tent is sagging on the scouts rack, its too long, been trying to get help from SmittyBilt for days...called, messaged and emailed. They never answer, their customer service is the worst!
I may have to weld something up myself, and stop defending Smittybilt every time I hear someone complaining about them :(

My overlandXL tent is sagging on the scouts rack, its too long, been trying to get help from SmittyBilt for days...called, messaged and emailed. They never answer, their customer service is the worst!
I may have to weld something up myself, and stop defending Smittybilt every time I hear someone complaining about them :(

I know the instructions specifically say that the xl tent needs 3 cross bars even spaced to distribute load. A few people on this thread have welded on an extension to support towards the front of the trailer. I made some supports from 3/8" x 1.5" steel. that ran the length of the tent. If i had to do it again i would weld some square tube like someone did earlier in this thread.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Lid is finished...... well.... almost.
I am mounting a solar panel to the top that will mount straight to the controller. In addition I have a 50 watt portable panel to chase the sun with.i have not purchased the hard mounted panel yet. But a semi rigid monochrystaline on a composite, thus flexible, is an option. Amazon have a ton of them.
Question: Is that a good way to go, or do you recommend a framed mono instead.....
Pinging John61ct..... :):)

20190208_121356.jpg

Last edited:

Kraxler

I have 6 rails mounted on the cross beams. Got them all from smittybilt for free. Also got the mounting hardware. I just emailed the, and they showed up tow or three weeks later

bobebm

Here are a couple of pictures of my electrical setup. I will probably have more details on the thread below that Hoologan started. Got many of my ideas from there.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...ly-expo-trailer-build-recommendations.199283/

Pertinent to the Scout specifically, I decided to build a shelf in the generator box for a couple reasons. I used a heavy golf cart battery (Trojan T 1275 12v, 150Ah 80lbs plus)) and wanted to keep it closer to the axle in consideration of the tongue weight. I am still able to use the pullout drawer for storage. Put in a 12 (cig lighter) for the Dometic fridge and ports for solar and shore connections. A simple alternator charger just to top off when driving. Interior lights are motion sensor and will eventually add a water pump system (I hope). As usual a ton of fun and some frustration along the way. A big thank you to my friend Mike who helped me in the set up. The truth be told, I didn't even know what an amp really was before the project started
IMG_2260.jpgIMG_5487.JPGScout Electrical Set up.JPG

IMG_5514.JPGIMG_5468.JPGIMG_5503.JPGIMG_5467.JPGIMG_5512.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles