Lets talk about camp lights

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
The bulb on my back porch light burned out 2 years ago so I put a hook in one of my rafters and hung up my old big gas lantern.

I find the light it gives off a lot more plesant than the electric light when I’m outside after dark cooking on the grill or having a beer.

I guess that’s why the rich folks still have gas lights at their houses.

I think the led lights are obnoxious.

I hope you used lots-a-duk tape to rig your light...
Most folks would just replace a burned out bulb with a good bulb though...
Gas lights in homes are, IMO are accidents waiting to happen. Gas lighting was, relatively, quickly abandoned and the coal gas plants in most towns torn down after reliable electric bulbs were marketed by Edison.. 'though I have lived in several homes which still had the plumbing for gas lights in their walls.
(since you are using a computer I suspect that you are trying to troll rich vs. po' folk...)

As noted before in this thread;
People who find the output of LED bulbs unacceptable are, probably, using bulbs with the WRONG color temperature, likely bright white 5,000K instead for the yellower soft white 2500 to 3000K color temperature (look on the bulb/box before you buy it. A 2500 to 3000K color temperature comes close to the color of the light from traditional (antique) filament bulbs). I personally find the glaring, overly bright light of mantle lights (gas, oil or Coleman fuel) on high much worse than even the obnoxious 5000k LED bulbs. ...When I was trying to use mantle style lighting (back in the 20th century) I went so far as to custom frost my lantern globes in an effort to reduce the glare.. it, kind of worked.
However the yellower light from non-mantle wick style lanterns and oil lamps is fine, to my eyes... I do draw a line at bright mantle oil lamps (Aladdin) without shades; they can be every bit as obnoxious as mantle type lanterns and gaslights.
The fumes from fueled lanterns & lamps, when used in a cabin, tent or in trailer, is a another nail in their coffin as far as I am concerned...

Use what you like , IMO; but try out newer technology that is well proven; you might find that some things are better...

Note; when I replaced the UCO candle lanten with the much better battery powered LED lighting I put the candle lantern, with its match safe on the museum shelf, where it remains to amaze the grand kids... about how primitive things used to be ...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

MOguy

Explorer
I home you used lots-a-duk tape to rig your light...
Gas lights in homes are, IMO are accidents waiting to happen. Gas lighting was, relatively, quickly abandoned and the coal gas plants in most towns torn down after reliable electric bulbs were marketed by Edison.. 'though I have lived in several homes which still had the plumbing for gas lights in their walls.
(since you are using a computer I suspect that you are trying to troll rich vs. po' folk...)

People who find the output of LED bulbs unacceptable are, probably, using bulbs with the WRONG color temperature, likely bright white 5,000K instead for the yellower soft white 2500 to 3000K color temperature (look on the bulb/box before you buy it. A 2500 to 3000K color temperature comes close to the color of the light from traditional (antique) filament bulbs). I personally find the glaring, overly bright light of mantle lights (gas, oil or Coleman fuel) on high much worse than even the obnoxious 5000k LED bulbs. ...When I was trying to use mantle style lighting (back in the 20th century) I went so far as to custom frost my lantern globes in an effort to reduce the glare.. it, kind of worked.
However the yellower light from non-mantle wick style lanterns and oil lamps is fine, to my eyes... I do draw a line at bright mantle oil lamps (Aladdin) without shades; they can be every bit as obnoxious as mantle type lanterns and gaslights.
The fumes from fueled lanterns & lamps, when used in a cabin, tent or in trailer, is a another nail in their coffin as far as I am concerned...

Use what you like , IMO; but try out newer technology that is well proven; you might find that some things are better...

Note; when I replaced the UCO candle lanten with the much better battery powered LED lighting I put the candle lantern, with its match safe on the museum shelf, where it remains to amaze the grand kids... about how primitive things used to be ...

Enjoy!

Some people camp and or explore to get a from it all to include what they feel as unnecessary technology.

Other like to use the new widget technology can offer.

Other just load up and head out.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
Some people camp and or explore to get a from it all to include what they feel as unnecessary technology.

Other like to use the new widget technology can offer.

Other just load up and head out.

I'm one of those that likes to get (far; well set up 4WD, required) away from "civilization" and its hassles... But I long ago found that easer, more reliable and better functioning is more enjoyable than worse/things that are not...

IMO... Don't attempt to use inappropriate tech; new or old; use what works best (new or old)...and verify it all by trying things new and old...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Boatbuilder79

I hope you used lots-a-duk tape to rig your light...
Gas lights in homes are, IMO are accidents waiting to happen. Gas lighting was, relatively, quickly abandoned and the coal gas plants in most towns torn down after reliable electric bulbs were marketed by Edison.. 'though I have lived in lights in their walls.

Enjoy!

My wife has been nagging me about changing that bulb for a while too. But I like the lantern.

No duct tape was used to hang it just a hook

rnArmy

Adventurer
My Dad at his cabin took an old Coleman lantern, took out the mantle set-up and wired an electric bulb in it and hung it up. Now he had the look he wanted (an old Coleman lantern) but with an electric bulb. It was set up more for glowing than lighting up his porch (he had a low wattage bulb in the lantern).

Last edited:

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Good god...

Look pal, just because I use Dietz lanterns around camp doesn't mean I'm a bloody Luddite. In fact, I'm a retired network engineer who's forgotten more about computers than most "IT guys" will ever know.

And I do have LED lights and flashlights. Hell, I've even posted a review here on ExPo:

https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/review-solar-usb-charger-with-battery-pack.165244/

But let's face it, tech has no soul. No ambiance. No style. No frickin' class. Hurricane lamps are classy.

Which, you don't seem to understand. Take that any way you want.

And as a master of computer tech, I have long told people that, "Just because you CAN do something with computers, that doesn't mean you SHOULD do it."

Case in point..."social networking":

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/01/30/facebook_apple_enterprise_certificate_revocation/

The same maxim applies to any tech. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Fascination with bright and shiny is for chimps and raccoons.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

I've gone spelunking overnight with a couple candles and a coffee can, its amazing how your eyes can adjust to just about any light level, I was never in want of more light even in giant caverns.. the candle has a nice charm too it as the flickering/varying light provides depth to surfaces as the shadows dance around.

I highly recommend it if your into that kinda thing, think I'mna go buy one of those candle lanterns.

I'm a network engineer turned software engineer and if I had my way I'd just need a backpack and some good boots, my comforts/technology are largely for the family I now have.. no way I'd get to drag them out into the mountains every weekend if I made my old lady sleep in a hammock.. happy wife, happy life.

ottsville

Observer
I've got one of these from a long time ago and also one of these. Neither one gives light enough to do anything by, but they are nice for a little light around camp. The good thing about the second on is that it uses tealights which are cheap and easy to find. The first one also has a three candle version.

tatanka48

I've got one of these from a long time ago and also one of these. Neither one gives light enough to do anything by, but they are nice for a little light around camp. The good thing about the second on is that it uses tealights which are cheap and easy to find. The first one also has a three candle version.

many a bed tyme novel was read by the light of my old UCO w/ the reflectorizer wrapped around it ;-)

T

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
many a bed tyme novel was read by the light of my old UCO w/ the reflectorizer wrapped around it ;-)
T

. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

'scuse me for cherry picking truisms...
However; I too found the light from a UCO candle lantern, even with the auxiliary (optional, extra cost) reflector, insufficient to comfortably read by.
...(might have contributed to my present need for glasses)...

Enjoy!

Last edited:

CSG

Explorer
I've never found enough light to comfortably read by with the UCO but I like them none the less.

Happy Joe

Apprentice Geezer
For those who are fans of the "simple" life or of a non-electric persuasion, or simply curious ...Lehman's hardware as a good assortment of lighting and many other things; including hard to find wicks and mantles...
https://www.lehmans.com/

Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles