Most affordable, fuel efficient 4x4 set up

Explorerinil

Observer
The Tahoe was actually one of my first thoughts as well but then again i was shocked at the price starting at $55000, a big part of of my decision will be price
We bought a 1 year old preimier with every option including black 22 inch rims and gm rubber floor kit with 10k for 52... we went used due to how much you can save vs new, that same Tahoe new we specd out was 68k.

Explorerinil

Observer
Agreed the the Colorado would be too small to sleep in, I would need something like the GFC camper or OVRLND Pop Top. The only real reason i am considering a f-150 is the price I can get a F 150 super cab 4x4 for about $32000 new and low interest rate. Would like a Tundra or Nissan with the cummins but up here in Canada the Tundra starts at about $45000 and the nissan with the the cummins starts at about $60000........... At this point I am still considering all options though
Wow I didn’t know they were that high, around here I can get a Nissan cummins for 40k or sometimes less... I don’t think they are selling many of them.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wow thanks for everyone's reply, I did consider a Subaru outback but just feel like there would not be enough room. Also considering a f 150 as they are pretty cheap right now, but with just the 3.3L gas (Anyone have experience with the 3.3L engine?) Also considering gas Colorado or Canyon if a can find a fairly cheap pop up canopy/shell, the diesel would be nice but up here in Canada they go closer to $50000. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

The N/A V6 isn't a bad motor, and it makes more power than the V8's in previous generations, but it truly nukes the resale value.

I'd go for the 2.7 or the 5.0. When paired with the 10 speed they are both great motors.

You can get a 36 gallon tank with the F150 and a whole slew of gear ratios.

The N/A V6 isn't a bad motor, and it makes more power than the V8's in previous generations, but it truly nukes the resale value.

I'd go for the 2.7 or the 5.0. When paired with the 10 speed they are both great motors.

You can get a 36 gallon tank with the F150 and a whole slew of gear ratios.

Yeah maybe I will check out the 5.0 as well!, kind of want to stay away from the eco boost engines as you have to put premium gas in them? Which up here is about 10 cents to 15 cents more a liter then regular gas

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah maybe I will check out the 5.0 as well!, kind of want to stay away from the eco boost engines as you have to put premium gas in them? Which up here is about 10 cents to 15 cents more a liter then regular gas

The EcoBoost run just fine off of 87 octane. Unless you are pulling a heavy trailer or wanting to crank up the boost and make more power you don't need premium fuel. I only run it when I pull a camper that's right at my tow rating.

Also, the 2.7 EcoBoost gets better fuel economy than the N/A V6...lol.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
I recommend that you in depth evaluate your fuel economy needs. I drive to Key Largo from Ohio to go diving. Fuel cost isn't an issue. I think I tip more money, than what I spend on fuel. Many people over value fuel economy woes, and end up miserable in a too small truck, or the wrong camper. Down payments to switch vehicles eats up years of fuel savings.

Also evaluate exactly what kind of sleeping? Slide in camper? Simple shell? RTT? I want AC and heat, so a hard side camper is the way for me to go. That's instant 250/2500 territory, even for little ''1/2 ton specific'' campers. I'll likely be stuck in a ground tent for years to come though.

The Ford 6.2 can get decent mileage with the little xl wheels and tires. 37" tires, obviously cost more to roll.

As for fuel octane requirements, and the ecoboost............the Ford 6.2 and Dodge prefer higher octane fuels as well, if you want the power output your window sticker listed.

Last edited:

Sedonut

Adventurer
You can get a long bed Tacoma, build a platform above the wheel wells. My TRD off road V6 gets 20 MPG with a light foot.

No other truck will have better resale.

Highlander

The Strong, Silent Type
I don’t think they look down on the f150 just because of its size and proportions, the tundra is the same size, I think it’s not “cool” enough. And it has got history of poor quality... an f150 xtl would be a good trim to look into. It’s not too utilitarian and nether too fancy.

Subaru Outback is a good vehicle, but you will end up in a situation where having a low range gear may be crucial.
I have done 12 k miles around the country, including the dirt roads of the west, in my Saab wagon but I realized that not only a high clearance is important, also and an adequate gearing matters too.

ulyist

As fellow albertian here who spends much to much time on Kijiji you just can’t touch the Fords right now on pricing. I’ve got both a 3.5 and a 5l super cab in my favourites for 33k and 32.5k respectively. Both with the 136l tank and the rear locker. Both 2018s new on the lot. Once in a while a tundra will come up just under 40 if you watch. Maybe waiting for “red tag days” or a special. Tacoma’s are 43~, gmc/ Chevy are 37+ by the time they have a 5.3l and the 2019 are a new model at damn near 50k. Same with Ram. You will be real tight getting a heavy duty into your parkade, and getting one new under 40k might be a dream. Nice but sure not cheap. Jeeps are 60k by the time rubicon is on the hood.

Also a colour matched canopy/ topper with a queen mattress make for a decent sleep. Let’s call that 2500$. So still a couple thousand under 40. There’s a reason f150 is Canada’s most popular selling vehicle. Cheap like borsch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles