Trailscape's 06 Tundra

tennesseewj

Observer
Seems quite a bit cheaper than a set of Deavers. Any details on what kind of pack they're building for that price?
I’ve been hanging out in the northeast for the past month. Probably heading back to Denver soon.

I’m considering having a new leaf pack built for my truck while I’m around here. One shop quoted me about $550.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

trailscape

Explorer
Might have to try this. Even with lots of driving, that Optima is now losing most of the charge overnight. When you say very slow charge, any idea what kind of amps we’re talking?

a small trick I found out about optima battery. I had a yellow top that I thought was dead , charger thought it was good but it did not have enough juice to start anything. took it with me to tge parts store to use for a core but a guy standing in line said " have you tried laying it on its side and putting a very slow trickle charge on it ?" At first I was thinking ****** why would that help anything? long story short he knew what he was talking about , that was 2 years ago and the battery has been fine ever sense .
A word of warning to anybody reading this you can only do this with a gel type battery they can be mounted in any position if you try doing it with a normal battery.... you're going to have a bad day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

trailscape

Explorer
Seems quite a bit cheaper than a set of Deavers. Any details on what kind of pack they're building for that price?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Basically stock style with several additional leaves. Probably not ideal if you ever have an unloaded bed.

trailscape

Explorer
Anyone looking for mapping apps, there’s been some good deals right now. I’ve been trying out a number of them, but specifically “Sygic” and “Copilot” as offline GPS options on an iPad mini. Both just had the premium options for about $12 so I grabbed them as I still can’t quite decide. I’m leaning towards Sygic though.

trailscape

Explorer
It's good to be back in Colorado again. Those northeastern skies can be tiresome.

A few thoughts on the ride home.

I hadn't packed the heater this time around, so it was a bit chilly sleeping in the back. My ATC wool blanket is still the preferred choice. I sandwiched a $20 12v electric blanket between that and a fleece blanket. I was toasty all night with temps dipping in the low teens. My battery had no issues up to 6 hours on the low setting. Seems like a safer option as long as you don't sleep on top of it. I'm still considering a Propex heater. Might be a little overkill for my setup, but that may not be bad.

I'm still looking for rear springs. I read a lot of people like the Deaver G57, but from my understanding these aren't really good with additional weight. I'm running airbags also though.

There's also these from General Spring that seem fairly inexpensive, but I'll have to get more info.

Might not be a milestone, but I feel like I'm finally breaking the truck in a bit more.
1333333.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
Skid Row is having a year end 20% off w/free shipping sale. A skid plate hasn't been high on the list, but I'm struggling to resist the gravity well that pulls me toward buying things I suddenly want.
Yeah, screw it... I gave in an ordered a front skid plate. It's going to be an expensive year end.

The Fedex guy also just dropped off two brand new Toyota CV Axles. My boots are split and by the looks of things those on my remanufactured steering rack are already dry rotted.

Oh yeah, last week eBay had a 20% coupon and I grabbed some cheap control arms. Seems like a number of folks were using them in other forums, but eh.. Should be interesting.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/273593020495

Oh, one small purchase. No-Loss valve caps! I've been wanting some for a while, but they usually cost more than the item to ship. Extreme Outback has free shipping right now. Nabbed me a set!
http://www.extremeoutback.com/

I swear I'll be breaking down boxes 'til freaking May..

Last edited:

Jb1rd

Explorer
Finishing up the few last changes I wanted to make and preparing for a weekend trip along US 285 here in Colorado. I haven't been out that way much beyond Pine in some time, so I'm hoping to do a bit more exploration. Suggestions always welcome.

Before and after front end pics:
View attachment 296442View attachment 296441

The replacement grille turned out to be for a double cab. I didn't realize this until after I cleaned, sanded, painted, etc..
It fit with a little Dremel trimming along the bottom extensions...
View attachment 296443View attachment 296446

My recipe for durable wheel arch coating.. I get sick of all the road grim making these look nasty. This still looks great two years later on the '02
Silly question but when you put the flare back on do you glue the rubber seal in place or is it a friction fit? I just bought a dbl cab and the arch is sitting in the back seat with the rubber. Thank in advance and the truck looks great, I am so stoked to have a Tundra again.
View attachment 296444View attachment 296445

I haven't been able to remove the lower brush guard brackets myself. Them things are in good.. I'll ask the shop to hit it with an impact next time I bring her in.

On, another note. I put a new Eagle Eyes brand headlight in yesterday and the light scatter and beam is awful in comparison to the faded OEM light. I tried cleaning up the old lights, but they are full of little micro cracks. I can't afford OEM replacements, so I'm putting the old ones back in until I can swing an HID retrofit again.

trailscape

Explorer
It's the small details that can make things the best

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'll agree there. I find a a few small details on every trip that lead to continuous small improvements in gear and convenience.

That plastic coil hose that came with my compressor finally annoyed me enough in the cold weather that it had to go.
This hybrid hose seems 100x better. I reused the ends from the old hose.

My air chuck kept failing me, and I kind of wanted something more accurate. So far this ARB one is dead on.

Also, these no-loss caps are pretty cool. Hoping they don't disappear the first time I have my tires balanced.

Airtools.jpg

Cletus26

Adventurer
As for rear leafs id highly recommend the deaver overland springs that can be ordered through Archive Garage. His shackle flip kit is awesome as well. That’s what I’m running and fully loaded I’m running around 3500lbs per axel so like 7000 total. I’m fully loaded in these pictures
8c936d57df14120e2d41fb1999186951.jpg
a7b440155a17a5bd1df21d5219d2424c.jpg

trailscape

Explorer
Good info.

I’m definitely planning on upgrading springs this year. Hopefully this Spring. I was thinking the only real difference with the Overland springs were if you wanted a good ride without weight in the bed as well as loaded up.

As for rear leafs id highly recommend the deaver overland springs that can be ordered through Archive Garage. His shackle flip kit is awesome as well. That’s what I’m running and fully loaded I’m running around 3500lbs per axel so like 7000 total. I’m fully loaded in these pictures

trailscape

Explorer
Should be adding a roof rack over the cab soon. I’m trying to decide what to do with the NMO antenna mount in the middle of the roof. I could just cap it off, but I kind of want to repurpose it as pass-thru for some lighting wiring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trailscape

Explorer
I got a new emblem from Toyotech with my roof rack kit and got a bit creative with it.

I'm undecided on the theme yet, but I'll try it out for a bit and see it sticks. I gave the aluminum a polish and then hit it with several high heat colors. I also trimmed up piece of aluminum as a backing plate and painted it red.

No glamour shots right now.. It's snow soup outside.

T-Grill1.jpg

IMG_0072 (Edited).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles