New to me G550

Bravo30

long story short i traded my 2015 S550 in for a 2015 G550 (35k miles). i lost money on the S and then i spent some more money on the G ($85K for the G). it is what it is and i realized this. the G is from the dealer so its a certified. they replaced the tires, brakes and a few other things then i got the balance of my tire warranty back ($1,600) so that helped. everything else checked out fine. I never should have bought the car but i did and since then its left a bitter taste in my mouth. im not a car guy. the car is great but just not for me. i had to crawl into it and watch for curbs or you would tare the front end off. i had to replace 3 wheels and 2 tires in 18 months via the tire care warranty. that aside, i love the G! its a truck and i can run over things and thats what i need. so i have few questions...

1- ive read that earlier models had a bullet proof engine. whats the story on the 2015?
2- can i do the basic maintenance myself?
3- any addition skids plates i need or are the factory ones sufficient? (im not a hard core off roader as in trips to MOAB. im more like the guy who drives down roads that say ''bridge out'' if that makes sense)

mods:

im not going to go crazy but i would definitely like to remove the step and install rock sliders. any recommended brands or styles come to mind? i would also like a low key roof rack with a ladder.

Last edited:

namsag

1. Mine is a 2011 so I can't say anything about the 2015.

2. You say you're not a "car guy," is that automobiles in general or "car" as in "low sedans?" If it's certified you should have some free maintenance for a period of time, yes? When my warranty ran out on my CPO I took it to a very good local independent shop for maintenance. They are great.

3. I'm like you, not a hard core rock crawler so the skid plates are sufficient for me. They seem pretty sturdy to me.

For sliders and other accessories: https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com

Be sure your lockers work! Wouldn't surprise me if the dealership never bothered to check them. Mine was a 2011 CPO from Virginia, got it in 2014. The lockers didn't work from CPO, had the work done under warranty. $4300 worth if I remember right.

Have fun with it!

Bravo30

1. Mine is a 2011 so I can't say anything about the 2015.

2. You say you're not a "car guy," is that automobiles in general or "car" as in "low sedans?" If it's certified you should have some free maintenance for a period of time, yes? When my warranty ran out on my CPO I took it to a very good local independent shop for maintenance. They are great.

3. I'm like you, not a hard core rock crawler so the skid plates are sufficient for me. They seem pretty sturdy to me.

For sliders and other accessories: https://www.g-wagenaccessories.com

Be sure your lockers work! Wouldn't surprise me if the dealership never bothered to check them. Mine was a 2011 CPO from Virginia, got it in 2014. The lockers didn't work from CPO, had the work done under warranty. $4300 worth if I remember right.

Have fun with it!

cars in general. i dont like the feeling of stepping down, lack of cargo room and the low ground clearance you get with cars. i guess it boils down to lifestyle and being a contractor by trade and your sterotypical outdoors type of guy im just not cut out for a car.

good call on the lockers!! ill be asking them about that when i go back up on saturday.

Bravo30

BFG KM3's 275/70/18 and spare tire storage. i like the looks of the open spare on the back. Im still researching rock sliders and a roof rack.

Cotton

Did the BFGs require spacers? Any rubbing issues? I tried 275/70/18 Goodyear Duratracs on our 2015 g550 and they hit the exhaust, so I had to go with a smaller size.

inexplorata

On tires, don't forget wheel size; I put on 16" wheels and 265/70/r16 KO2's, which gave me more sidewall and comfort zone for airing down, all while keeping the same overall diameter -- no rubbing, and avoided confusing the computers.
IMGP4342.jpg

Bravo30

Did the BFGs require spacers? Any rubbing issues? I tried 275/70/18 Goodyear Duratracs on our 2015 g550 and they hit the exhaust, so I had to go with a smaller size.

no spacers required and no rubbing. i havent had a chance to flex it yet but what ive researched and the people who have the tires have said, there is no rubbing even while flexed.

NEwhere

Love the tires, ive had mine for several moths they are awesome. This is my 3rd set of BFG's 33x10, 60K on first set but that was when i first bought her, only vehicle and i commuted 80 miles a day for work. Second set lasted 10 years and 40K, Discount Tire would no longer service them at 10 years. I expect this set to last 10 years as well, but millage will be minimal.

Link to spare tire storage?

mr jits

BFG KM3's 275/70/18 and spare tire storage. i like the looks of the open spare on the back. Im still researching rock sliders and a roof rack.
Take a look at 4x4labs for sliders (front and rear bumpers as well if you want). They're not listed on the website "products," but Luke has produced them in the past and his products are absolutely the best quality out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles