Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ebrabaek

Adventurer
ebrabaek, I'm looking to mount side boxes on my unit as well. Did you take the side support with Smittybilt badging off? If so, was it painted underneath? How did that process go? I've got a 14x12x24 box on order, will report back with how it fits --> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ASXTEY6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So when you open the back door you can see the two bolts on each side that holds the Smitty logo in place. Unscrew those, and use a scalpel or any blade really, to cut the black silicone between the box and the logo. I just took off the logo, and mounted it in the same holes but inside the box. That way the strength is not jeopardized. Then before I sat the boxes down on the fender, I added a heavy bead of silicone along the edges, and a cross in the middle. Sat the boxes down and bolted them with the OEM hardware.

MOD3RNFJ

So when you open the back door you can see the two bolts on each side that holds the Smitty logo in place. Unscrew those, and use a scalpel or any blade really, to cut the black silicone between the box and the logo. I just took off the logo, and mounted it in the same holes but inside the box. That way the strength is not jeopardized. Then before I sat the boxes down on the fender, I added a heavy bead of silicone along the edges, and a cross in the middle. Sat the boxes down and bolted them with the OEM hardware.
Great way to do it. Thanks. Is the main box painted under the logo? I'm only getting a 24" box and don't want to have a bare spot showing.

bobebm

I wanted to share just a couple of projects we just finished. Before that I do want to thank everybody one more time (and especially Silverback and ebrabaek) who have participated in this thread. The advice and guidance displayed was the tipping point for us to get this trailer.

We wanted to avoid the dreaded drooping tent over the front but we aren't welders (yet). A simple affordable solution we came up with was 2 aluminum square bars from Home Depot for less than $20 each, some square plastic caps from amazon and the universal brackets that came with the trailer since our tent had its own hardware. It has enough additional support for now and will see if it works in the long term. IMG_5425.JPG

bobebm

One more project was the gas struts to help lift the tent . This was harder than we anticipated. We initially got the idea from the Habitat video (great ideas and hope to buy some of their kits when they come out). Our tent is close to 195 lbs, so my first instincts was to look for 50 lbs struts (simple math right? 4 x 50 =200) We talked with our local strut provider and they were very helpful but thought we should start with 30lb struts first. We had to take the side panels off because the pistons were rubbing against them and learn from the supplier that the fat part should be on the top side (unlike the video) for lubrication purposes (I think). It wasn't even close too enough force and tried the 40 lbs and it was helpful but still not enough. We went to 60lbs each and now can easily raise the tent up to the last hole. There still are a few kinks like the pins slightly rub the pistons and it still takes even pressure to push up and push down so it still takes 2 people, but couldn't imagine how my wife and i could have raised and lowered the tent without the assistance out on the trailIMG_5426.JPGIMG_5429.JPG

Kraxler

Would like to see your pics but they don't open on my iPad

They finally show. Don't know what changed.

Last edited:

McDowra

Observer
One more project was the gas struts to help lift the tent . This was harder than we anticipated. We initially got the idea from the Habitat video (great ideas and hope to buy some of their kits when they come out). Our tent is close to 195 lbs, so my first instincts was to look for 50 lbs struts (simple math right? 4 x 50 =200) We talked with our local strut provider and they were very helpful but thought we should start with 30lb struts first. We had to take the side panels off because the pistons were rubbing against them and learn from the supplier that the fat part should be on the top side (unlike the video) for lubrication purposes (I think). It wasn't even close too enough force and tried the 40 lbs and it was helpful but still not enough. We went to 60lbs each and now can easily raise the tent up to the last hole. There still are a few kinks like the pins slightly rub the pistons and it still takes even pressure to push up and push down so it still takes 2 people, but couldn't imagine how my wife and i could have raised and lowered the tent without the assistance out on the trail

What a great idea,how much travel do those struts have? Would love to see a video of it being raised and lowered!

bobebm

What a great idea,how much travel do those struts have? Would love to see a video of it being raised and lowered!
https://www.liftsupportsdepot.com/lift-supports-depot-st360p60s10-gas-charged-lift-support/

• Extended Length: 36.00
  • Stroke C [in]: 15.20
  • Compressed Length B [in]: 20.75

Jessica at Lift Support Depot was a great help to us

I will see what I can do regarding a video. Originally I got the idea from Habitat off road video and been periodically going to their website. They just very recently added a tent rack lift strut kit. It wasn't available when we started our project and may have gone in that direction instead of the trial and error method we went through. I am really interested in their on board water kit and hope it becomes available soon.

honda250xtitan

One more project was the gas struts to help lift the tent . This was harder than we anticipated. We initially got the idea from the Habitat video (great ideas and hope to buy some of their kits when they come out). Our tent is close to 195 lbs, so my first instincts was to look for 50 lbs struts (simple math right? 4 x 50 =200) We talked with our local strut provider and they were very helpful but thought we should start with 30lb struts first. We had to take the side panels off because the pistons were rubbing against them and learn from the supplier that the fat part should be on the top side (unlike the video) for lubrication purposes (I think). It wasn't even close too enough force and tried the 40 lbs and it was helpful but still not enough. We went to 60lbs each and now can easily raise the tent up to the last hole. There still are a few kinks like the pins slightly rub the pistons and it still takes even pressure to push up and push down so it still takes 2 people, but couldn't imagine how my wife and i could have raised and lowered the tent without the assistance out on the trail

Thats **************.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
New Carbon Fiber tongue box project have begun. So as not to clutter the thread with all kinds of questions, I thought I would post a few updates here, but link my CF FB page so any one can follow, watch and ask questions as I go.
Trailer front was disassembled....
IMG_7930.JPGIMG_7930.JPG
IMG_7931.JPG
IMG_7932.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles