Buy new F350 or restore older 7.3?

TexasSixSeven

Observer
A newer 6.2 will absolutely handle a 3k camper and car hauler with a 5-6k Jeep on it no problems. Especially if you go with the deeper 4.30 rear end.

I drive a tuned 17’ 6.7, and wouldn’t have any issue pulling the combo you’re talking about with the gasser.

tookstar154

Observer
I can't speak too much to the new 6.7's. I have a few friends that have them, and love them. However...I got an opportunity about a year ago now to buy my dad's truck off of him. 2001 F350, CCLB Lariat, 4x4 w/7.3, 200k on it. I couldn't be happier. Yes, there is going to be work to be done. I have gone through the front end completely with the exception of new shocks, and have had to put a water pump in it, high-torque Denso starter, Nations high-amp alternator, along with a head unit, swapped the seats out for cloth, and the carpet out for vinyl. But I bought the truck knowing that with proper care and maintenance that they will go forever. The motors are pretty open and easy to work on, and not many electronics. I change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter every 5k, along with adding Archoil in the oil to help with lubrication. If you can find a 7.3, I would go that route.

The photos below are from my most recent trip in it, down to Baja to Pre-run/race the Baja 1000. 2000 miles in 10 days of driving, get home and no oil/coolant/tranny fluid burnt. Ball joints/tie rods re-greased when I got back home and onto the next trip.IMG_7160-small.JPG

IMG_0614.JPGIMG_0607.JPGIMG_0709.JPG

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
A newer 6.2 will absolutely handle a 3k camper and car hauler with a 5-6k Jeep on it no problems. Especially if you go with the deeper 4.30 rear end.

I drive a tuned 17’ 6.7, and wouldn’t have any issue pulling the combo you’re talking about with the gasser.
The 6.2 will gobble gas with that much weight and towing. I don't believe the electronics on all these new trucks will outlive the trucks.

Alloy

Check the specs on the I have a 1997 7.3 F250 and a 2016 F350.
What are your opinions on restoring a older 7.3 CCLB -vs. buying a new F350 to haul a 3000# truck camper around North America? I'm pretty good with a wrench and have the time, money and place to do it but, have no illusions about 20 year old trucks. There is a lot to "restore" bearings, evaporators, blowers, injectors, hoses, rust and the list goes on. On the other side a new one is 50+ beans and from what I can tell they are darn near unserviceable on the road. Which way would you go?

I have a 1997 F250 with 120,000 miles that was/is falling apart around the engine. I'd done the turbo, water pump, starter, injectors, rotors. After a leak in the front fuel tank caused us to cancel a trip we went looking for a new truck. A good friend is a manager at a Ford dealer so buying a 2016 F350 made the most sense.

The difference between power, handling, comfort (engine noise) from 1997 to 2016 is night and day but I'll say when it comes time do repairs I don't expect to be be able to do much on the 2016.

Take a look at the Payload/Towing Guides to determine what will carry 3000lbs.

tatanka48

I'm not so sure about the mileage being better on the new truck. My 6.7 averaged between 15 and 18 calculated by hand, with the best being 20 on a trip between Spearfish, SD and Williston ND. My 7.3 usually gets about 16 to 20 with the best being 22 on a trip from Denver to Alamosa.

My $45k 6.7 was a great truck, I just haven't found anything it would do that my $10k 7.3 won't do besides be a little more comfortable and have 2x more expensive insurance and 10x more expensive registration.

just got thru reading this thread and "ttravis5446" has sum'd it up nicely not to mention way early in the thread

my 2002 F-350 7.3 auto double cab 8' bed unit now has over 360k miles and it has never failed to bring me home though some homecomings took a bit longer than planned(same day though)

all the usual wear out items have been rebuilt or replaced along the way butt the expensive ones didn't pop up until i was beyond the making payments stage(alternator, starter, tranny cooler, tranny, 3 injectors, high pressure o-rings in the gallery, fuel lift pump & sock in the tank, water pump, hoses n belt... and the ever needy tires)

my friend who bought a new one like mine brought home a unit w/ a $67k window sticker

it really does have better ride and is noticeably more powerful butt the fuel consumption is about the same except when we hook onto the chuck wagon trailer (high windage and full of cast iron ) LOADED

his drops below 10mpg while mine still gets around 11mpg(¿ did i say the trailer was LOADED ?)

still not a tie breaker...

since mine was paid off repairs have run to the tune of 3-5 truck(mine not my friend's) payments/year mostly in the 3 range which is a tie breaker for me

if i only use SIMPLE arithmatic a $67k loan over 10 years is $6700/year plus interest and taxes... a no brainer

the year i had to replace the tranny was a 6 payment year

i'm guessing the clincher for me n mine is that when my bridal unit of over 50 years and i travel (even when not towing a 30'± trailer) she specifies going in the F-350(not the Jeep Cherokee or her Honda Accord)

we've been from absodadgumlute sea level to up n over The Divide between Lake City and Ouray(several times) in that beast and it has brought us back to lunch @ Handlebars in Silverton safely each time

th-4.jpeg

every vehicle has it's purpose and abilities and the infamous 7.3 F-350 sure has it's place in my heart

T

+1 for keeping a trusty older truck in the road. I paid $10k for mine in pristine condition. No payments. Im ok with spending a grand here and there to keep it going. I’m also stoked to be able to access and repair most things. The new trucks are NICE but just don’t make $$ sense for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

Deleted member 9101

Easy solution:

Just buy an STX with the gas motor. With the money you save on the purchase price, insurance, maintenance, and fuel it will easily absorb any savings the 6.7 would have offered in fuel economy.

D

Deleted member 9101

The 6.2 will gobble gas with that much weight and towing. I don't believe the electronics on all these new trucks will outlive the trucks.

Well.. Ford makes about a million F series trucks a year. Out of that number a very small percentage have problems with the electronics. Even when they do it's easy to repair and not that expensive if you do it your self.

Also, the 6.2 cost about 8 grand less than the 6.7. With out figuring in all the other expensive aspects of owning a 6.7 it will take hundreds of thousands of miles for the 6.7 to make financial sense.

253,000k on the clock, just put 4,000 miles on it in a few weeks. Looking to add another 1000 over new years. Starts right up, no matter how cold it is. These 7.3's are beasts, just keep them maintained.2018_1107_092738_003(2).JPG

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Before jumping into a 6.2 super duty, I considered the same thing.

But then came to my senses. The 6.2 superduty is simply more truck than any 7.3 PSD, by a long shot.

The axles and drivetrain makes the old 7.3 stuff look puny. And it is amazing to actually have real brakes, as well as legit safety features.

Also, there is zero reason to spend serious coin on a brand new truck.

Plenty of low mileage used 6.2's out there for cheap.

JSwanson

Observer
I can't speak too much to the new 6.7's. I have a few friends that have them, and love them. However...I got an opportunity about a year ago now to buy my dad's truck off of him. 2001 F350, CCLB Lariat, 4x4 w/7.3, 200k on it. I couldn't be happier. Yes, there is going to be work to be done. I have gone through the front end completely with the exception of new shocks, and have had to put a water pump in it, high-torque Denso starter, Nations high-amp alternator, along with a head unit, swapped the seats out for cloth, and the carpet out for vinyl. But I bought the truck knowing that with proper care and maintenance that they will go forever. The motors are pretty open and easy to work on, and not many electronics. I change the oil, oil filter, and fuel filter every 5k, along with adding Archoil in the oil to help with lubrication. If you can find a 7.3, I would go that route.

The photos below are from my most recent trip in it, down to Baja to Pre-run/race the Baja 1000. 2000 miles in 10 days of driving, get home and no oil/coolant/tranny fluid burnt. Ball joints/tie rods re-greased when I got back home and onto the next trip.View attachment 487775

View attachment 487772
What shell/camper is that? Really like your setup. Also what kind of mileage do you see with your setup? I've had 2 7.3s and best was 16.3mpg I feel like the guys who claim more are either driving 50 mph everywhere or are bad with a calculator. I average 13.5-14mpg hand calculated.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
The 6.7 will use just as much diesel, but at a 20% premium in fuel prices.
You're saying the 6.7 will get the same fuel economy as a 6.2 gasser?
I've ridden in a Carli equipped newer F-350 with shell and contractor's rack. The dash read about 8 mpg.
The 6.7 gets at least 16 mpg with the same load. Now will you ever recoup the cost difference with the diesel and gasser? That would depend on usage.
I wouldn't buy a newer diesel but they do get substantially better fuel economy and will easily out power a gasser.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
You're saying the 6.7 will get the same fuel economy as a 6.2 gasser?
I've ridden in a Carli equipped newer F-350 with shell and contractor's rack. The dash read about 8 mpg.
The 6.7 gets at least 16 mpg with the same load. Now will you ever recoup the cost difference with the diesel and gasser? That would depend on usage.
I wouldn't buy a newer diesel but they do get substantially better fuel economy and will easily out power a gasser.
The dash says 13.1 unloaded currently on my 2017 F350SRW 6.7. I think its off a little bit because of tire size, so guessing I am getting 14.5 right now. I could get 12 in the 6.2 my guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles