2010 Tundra Build “TRD Ferguson”

Dalko43

Explorer
ARB locker....at least in the rear. That's a hefty amount of cash and complexity (air lines) but what other options are there for selectable lockers?

ATRAC, or auto-limited slip, or whatever the Tundra has is nice in theory. In real tough 4x4 conditions, it has its limitations.

phsycle

Adventurer
ARB locker....at least in the rear. That's a hefty amount of cash and complexity (air lines) but what other options are there for selectable lockers?

ATRAC, or auto-limited slip, or whatever the Tundra has is nice in theory. In real tough 4x4 conditions, it has its limitations.

Serious? I'd get a winch before spending money on an ARB locker, personally.

Kpack

Adventurer
A winch is definitely less expensive than a locker. That being said I've never had to use my winch, but I've used my rear locker a handful of times. It almost feels like cheating. It just walks up anything I point it at (within reason).

The bigger question for the OP is, what limitations are you experiencing right now with your current set up? Do you really need something like a locker? I didn't, but since I was having work done to my rear diff anyways, I figured why not. It was not cheap though....

Clutch

<---Pass

Why not do both? :)

Looks like The_Dude is wheeling in high desert...would do the locker first since not much to hook a line to. If still getting stuck...then add a winch.

I rarely used my locker in AZ, now in snow country I am using it a bunch. Used it today actually for icy roads, running up to my lunch spot just outside of town I like to go to. Have been considering adding a winch too...and for years I had no need for one. Here I feel the need, especially in winter.

Last edited:

phsycle

Adventurer
I hardly use the locker. But the times I have used the locker, it was on terrain that would be too tight or technical for a Tundra. I wouldn't bother with it on a full-size, personally.

Dalko43

Explorer

I've gone all over the northeast with a stock 2011 4runner Trail (with A/T tires).

I've never gotten into a situation where I need a winch, though I acknowledge a winch would be very good to have for solo travels.
I've used my locker only a handful of times, but those were times when I absolutely needed it.

Locker before a winch in my view....it doesn't add any weight, no need for a front bumper or mounting plate, and it will be a whole lot more useful for the realistic driving scenarios on rough roads. Only negative for the OP is that the locker selection is quite limited and does require extensive work (wiring, air lines, drilling into differential housing) to setup.....Toyota really should've offered a locker option for the Tundra.

phsycle

Adventurer
I've gone all over the northeast with a stock 2011 4runner Trail (with A/T tires).

I've never gotten into a situation where I need a winch, though I acknowledge a winch would be very good to have for solo travels.
I've used my locker only a handful of times, but those were times when I absolutely needed it.

Locker before a winch in my view....it doesn't add any weight, no need for a front bumper or mounting plate, and it will be a whole lot more useful for the realistic driving scenarios on rough roads. Only negative for the OP is that the locker selection is quite limited and does require extensive work (wiring, air lines, drilling into differential housing) to setup.....Toyota really should've offered a locker option for the Tundra.

I'd like to see full size trucks squeeze through them trails you guys have back there. He'd probably need lockerS, armor, winch and a bucket of Crisco to make it through.

I'd probably set it up with a hidden winch mount. Even if not for rescue, it'd be handy for clearing debris on forest roads.

https://sdhqoffroad.com/products/10-18-toyota-tundra-sdhq-built-hidden-winch-mount

Clutch

<---Pass

Bummer that the Tundra and the Land Cruiser don't use the same rear end.

I hardly use the locker. But the times I have used the locker, it was on terrain that would be too tight or technical for a Tundra. I wouldn't bother with it on a full-size, personally.

I am diggin' it for snow and ice. Coupled with 4wd and studded snow tires...it is like driving a tank! Of course those will just get you stuck further back in, then yer gonna need a winch! :D

Did use it occasionally in AZ for sand washes. Which we have those here too.

Last edited:

Dalko43

Explorer
I'd like to see full size trucks squeeze through them trails you guys have back there. He'd probably need lockerS, armor, winch and a bucket of Crisco to make it through.

I'd probably set it up with a hidden winch mount. Even if not for rescue, it'd be handy for clearing debris on forest roads.

https://sdhqoffroad.com/products/10-18-toyota-tundra-sdhq-built-hidden-winch-mount

Perhaps excepting a select few old county roads in VT or some of the inactive logging skidder trails up in Canada (which are normally dead-ends), a fullsized can go just about anywhere motorized traffic is allowed....the limiting factor will be the owner's tolerance for pin-stripping, not the vehicle's size.

I think OP is out west though, and the trails are generally a bit less claustrophobic out there.

Bummer that the Tundra and the Land Cruiser don't use the same rear end.

Actually I think it's quite cool that Toyota gave the Tundra a tailored 10.4" (or 10.5" whatever it is) rear end versus the LC's standard 9.5" diff....it really demonstrates that Toyota went above and beyond with the Tundra's engineering versus just trying to cut costs with more common components.

Also the US LC 200 doesn't get a rear locker either....double strike on Toyota's part IMHO.

Clutch

<---Pass
Actually I think it's quite cool that Toyota gave the Tundra a tailored 10.4" (or 10.5" whatever it is) rear end versus the LC's standard 9.5" diff....it really demonstrates that Toyota went above and beyond with the Tundra's engineering versus just trying to cut costs with more common components.

Also the US LC 200 doesn't get a rear locker either....double strike on Toyota's part IMHO.

Yeah, I was thinking how nice it would be to swap out the 3rd member with an e-locker from a LC.

Did not know the US spec 200 didn't get a locker.

phsycle

Adventurer
I think OP is out west though, and the trails are generally a bit less claustrophobic out there...

Generally. Obviously there are some crazy trails where the Tundra doesn’t belong. Never really needed a locker on any of those trails though. There’s been some washed out roads where I would have appreciated Maxtrax at some spots and deep snow where engaging the locker did no good. I do appreciate having it on the truck already, but atrac and maxtrax (and/or winch) would get me to a lot of places, while being much cheaper.

I’d say just make sure you’ve got a set of maxtrax and maybe a truck bottle jack (or hilift) and just go.

The_Dude

Adventurer
Some great input! The trails out in Grand Junction are quite rocky and ledgy. The biggest thing with the tundra is the break over angle.

I plan on running a lot of the mtn passes in the San Juan’s. Black Bear Pass is on the list. Not looking to turn it into a wheeling machine but I want it to be capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

phsycle

Adventurer
Some great input! The trails out in Grand Junction are quite rocky and ledgy. The biggest thing with the tundra is the break over angle.

I plan on running a lot of the mtn passes in the San Juan’s. Black Bear Pass is on the list. Not looking to turn it into a wheeling machine but I want it to be capable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please take a Gopro and post the vid! I've not seen a fullsize truck go through that pass. It was dicey in a midsize. Can't imagine doing that in a fullsize truck! Good luck and have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94