Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

dytrdr5

I tried seeing what 4 wheel parts Black Friday pricing would be for one and they aren’t allowed to even invoice the trailers as of now. They even have one in Beaumont, Tx ready to go but you can’t buy it. Hopefully they will get the problem all sorted out for everyone soon. It’s still a strong contender on my trailer list

Hoologan

The first mod to my Scout was to weld up a rack extension to support the front overhang of the XL tent.

9AB38DBA-4519-4A84-BB48-0806AD727E76.jpeg

I started work on the 12v electrical system today and received my Rtic 110 cooler. No battery yet (going with Renogy 100Ah), but I installed a NOCO 10A charger with port, main fuse, battery disconnect and fuse block. I left space below the fuse block for future Victron solar controller. I opted to install the switch panel on the side of the tongue box rather that cut a giant hole in the side of the main box. The latter would have been more convenient given proximity to the galley, but this should be fine.

A5042F95-DABA-4E27-8660-8D1885C4A431.jpeg
D93F57CF-685F-40D9-A56B-142EFB4D8767.jpeg
7AE1DAB3-56D4-482D-920B-F1714877FDB9.jpeg
F7B4EA28-180E-4CDA-BA27-6122374ACAA5.jpeg
7AA97AA8-4FD7-4429-8E50-86BA055DC333.jpeg

thardin68

Smittybilt XL Tent is $880 with free shipping @ 4WP until midnight for Cyber Monday. Grabbing one with the Annex now delivered to my door for $1,178. Cant pass up the deal. Prolly going to grab the protection plan for $110

jojackc

Hoologan your really making some head way fast. Question I notice when ever anyone adds battery components to their set up they always mount it to a piece of wood. Is there a reason for that? Also let me know how your Rtic holds up. I ordered one and it only made it 6 months before the lid warped. Now I'm lucky to get 2 days of ice in it. Rtic told me I had to ship it back to them for testing before they would do anything. Shipping it back is not cheap. I also contacted Smitty for the kit right before sema. Didn't hear anything from them until it was over. Got an email saying they wanted to know if mine had gussets and for me to send them a picture of the serial number and my address. So I took the photo and gave them what they needed. Checked my email 2 days ago and realized I didn't hit send, it was saved as a draft lol. So we will see how long it takes.

Hoologan

Hoologan your really making some head way fast. Question I notice when ever anyone adds battery components to their set up they always mount it to a piece of wood. Is there a reason for that? Also let me know how your Rtic holds up. I ordered one and it only made it 6 months before the lid warped. Now I'm lucky to get 2 days of ice in it. Rtic told me I had to ship it back to them for testing before they would do anything. Shipping it back is not cheap. I also contacted Smitty for the kit right before sema. Didn't hear anything from them until it was over. Got an email saying they wanted to know if mine had gussets and for me to send them a picture of the serial number and my address. So I took the photo and gave them what they needed. Checked my email 2 days ago and realized I didn't hit send, it was saved as a draft lol. So we will see how long it takes.

Thanks @jojackc! It’s been a fun and needed winter project. I mounted my components to wood simply so I only have four bolts through the tongue box for each piece rather than for every component and it also provides a substrate to screw cable ties, etc. IDF/switch rooms in commercial buildings are also configured like this for the same reasons.

I’m hoping the rtic holds up because I can’t justify a higher cost brand.

wbwood1969

Hello everyone. We are contemplating getting a trailer. While we don't want to spend $15k or more, we came across the SB and the CVT. We like the functionality of the SB with the doors and drawers. I noticed there was a lot of naysaying in the first few pages of this thread from people talking down about the SB. I forwarded to the last few pages and it looks like there are a bunch that got the SB's after all. So what's the consensus on them? We have a new 2018 JLU and won't be doing any heavy off-roading, but wanted something that we can and won't mind pulling down some dirt roads or trails.

McDowra

Observer
Hello everyone. We are contemplating getting a trailer. While we don't want to spend $15k or more, we came across the SB and the CVT. We like the functionality of the SB with the doors and drawers. I noticed there was a lot of naysaying in the first few pages of this thread from people talking down about the SB. I forwarded to the last few pages and it looks like there are a bunch that got the SB's after all. So what's the consensus on them? We have a new 2018 JLU and won't be doing any heavy off-roading, but wanted something that we can and won't mind pulling down some dirt roads or trails.
We love ours! It has been thru the Georgia Traverse and the Ozark mountains and performed perfectly. Off road or Glamping it is hard to beat.

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpg
    IMG_0181.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 105

bobebm

This is probably a good place for us to jump in. We recently purchased the trailer in October. We considered several other choices and came very close to buying another (much more expensive) trailer and read this thread that convince us to go with the Scout. I have to pay homage like everybody else and thank all who have contributed. WBWOOD don’t look at it as necessary a finished product but a starting point. It is capable enough as it is but it can be a great project to customize. My wife and I (with suggestions from my daughters) are having fun with the build. Just some initial quick comments; Bought at Northridge 4x4 with the discount code without wheels, because we were fortunate to find the identical wheels (AEV Savegres) and tires as my jeep on Offer up for a very good price. The tires were 37 so a little larger than the 35s on my jeep. May swap them out to match size later. To my surprise there wasn’t much of a wait (less than 2 weeks) and unlike other sellers they delivered all the way to our home inside my garage. Contacted SB right away and they are sending the reinforcement brackets. It is not a perfect trailer, but we are very happy so far with the product and service. The basic build is done, professionally aligned, and registered with the DMV. Spent two nights in the backyard and family loves it (including the german shepherd). Now we are off to the modifications with our first real camping excursion in a couple of weeks (Anza Borrego)

Thank you all again for your input and hope we can add suggestions and completed project ideas as they get done.

Attachments

• 56365849319__033270AB-2AE2-40D9-8E31-4E29314D7F99.JPG
    56365849319__033270AB-2AE2-40D9-8E31-4E29314D7F99.JPG
    372.9 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1692.JPG
    IMG_1692.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_5395.JPG
    IMG_5395.JPG
    470.5 KB · Views: 138

dytrdr5

I think they are great trailers and definitely have their pros and cons, you should however know that you can’t buy them right now. It’s probably going to be 30-40 more days before you can get one

Hoologan

I did some more work on my Scout this weekend. It was really nice to work in the garage until 3:00 am without wives or kids nagging me! Haven’t done that in years!

105Ah FLA battery added
76D2E190-ED5A-4586-A830-F62712121216.jpeg

Load side wiring and switch panel wired
7AEADF6F-648E-4B98-8F9A-08F446608EED.jpeg
0E8A36EE-01A8-4FD3-94D6-465BFE75E72F.jpeg

She lights up when the big red switch is flipped!
8598CBC6-5A4A-40DB-AF71-17234415BCA7.jpeg

Interior lights complete and wired to individual switches inside each cabinet. The switches are RV switches mounted in a piece of 1x2 tubing to provide a raceway for the wires. I soldered pigtails to the terminals on each switch then added spade connectors so I can detach if needed.
B1DC9874-4D06-498C-9AEA-0B7FB94F61E7.jpeg
6A27C3D9-5781-42D8-9331-DB2899822438.jpeg
3505DDB5-E985-44B2-90A3-C48F3790543F.jpeg
7479FB46-9329-4797-A5F1-4EDA4E5FB7D4.jpeg
89AB2FDD-1B48-4B67-9FD6-58E9E52B4D0C.jpeg

This bus bar serves my three interior light circuits and the terminal strip allows me to add the circuits for the water pump, rock lights, flood lights and awning light as time allows. It also doubles as a means to determ the wiring coming from the tongue box in the event the tongue box or draw bar ever needs to be removed.
D8E9B7D6-9E12-40F9-AD75-A46A77678705.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior