Slide In Campers and Weight Ratings....

Good morning, I just picked up my new to me 1995 Lance 990 camper after searching all over for one that would comfortably sleep my wife and kids. We found this one and couldn't be more excited. My excitement starts to dwindle however when I look at the capacity of my truck. I have a 2016 Ram 2500 8' bed with the Cummins. I recently installed the Timbren SES and Bilstein shocks to help and it is actually sitting just slightly under level (squatting just a bit.) I did weigh the truck last night and it is at its GVW limits. I drove it 180 miles and it drives and handles fine, but I'd like the extra piece of mind. Has anyone had luck using a heavier rear spring? Or Any other means perhaps. I really can't afford to go buy a 1 ton right now so if there is an option to beef up or utilize my current vehicle I would love to. If not then perhaps a bigger truck is in my near future. I also would like to tow a small flatbed trailer with my ranger on it so there adds even more weight. I am open to all thoughts and suggestions.

Zmann

You should join the Lance owners forum /LOA . Great group and they will have real life input
My Arctic Fox 811 is almost 5k wet and ready so weight is always a concern

Bummer. You are well informed and it doesn't take a crystal ball to see a 3500HD in your future. As far as your safe test drive in the overloaded 2500, it's all good until it isn't. That being said, many folks like air bags and feel fine about them. IMO a 3500HD is a no brainer and a must. My 3500hd has 6,400 lbs. on the rear axle and I wasn't happy with how it handled until installing an extra leaf, 2.5 King shocks and a Bigwig sway bar.

I had a feeling that this was going to be the case. I wondered how far do I go to try and get the 2500 to haul vs saving that money and putting it towards a 3500. I know the answer and it's not the one I want, but such is life. Now to convice my wife...

hemifoot

Observer
try a set of supersprings.it's a progressive weight spring and works really well.i have a set on the rear with airbags for side to side leveling and a set of tufftruck 1 ton diesel springs on the front of my 2500.the 3500 is the same truck with slightly heavier duty springs.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
While it is always a good idea to try to work with the stated GVWR, there are some points that should be made.

The max GVWR on trucks is far from the actual rating of the truck and its components.
Besides the dually, the components of the 1-ton should be identical to that of the 3/4 ton.
And so long as it is stable hauling the camper (and not dragging its ass), you do not surpass the load rating of the tires, and you have some common sense, Id say you are good to go.

I've been running this old powerstroke at nearly 1000lbs over max GVWR with no issues, and no real mods, not even even air bags.
I have more than 50k miles on this setup, and Id estimate at least 10% of that being off-pavement.

45220638235_d726e388ea_c.jpg

try a set of supersprings.it's a progressive weight spring and works really well.i have a set on the rear with airbags for side to side leveling and a set of tufftruck 1 ton diesel springs on the front of my 2500.the 3500 is the same truck with slightly heavier duty springs.

My next step was a set of super springs and hellwig sway bars front and rear.

While it is always a good idea to try to work with the stated GVWR, there are some points that should be made.

The max GVWR on trucks is far from the actual rating of the truck and its components.
Besides the dually, the components of the 1-ton should be identical to that of the 3/4 ton.
And so long as it is stable hauling the camper (and not dragging its ass), you do not surpass the load rating of the tires, and you have some common sense, Id say you are good to go.

I've been running this old powerstroke at nearly 1000lbs over max GVWR with no issues, and no real mods, not even even air bags.
I have more than 50k miles on this setup, and Id estimate at least 10% of that being off-pavement.

45220638235_d726e388ea_c.jpg

Man that is one sweet rig you have there! I really like my truck, its low mileage and I feel well maintained. Plus it is all setup for offgrid camping. I hate the idea of replacing it if I don't have to. My fear was that I did upgrade the rest of the suspension only to find out that I still need a bigger truck

Sitting....with full water, propane, battery, and tools. Nothing else though

Attachments

• 1201181219_HDR.jpg
    1201181219_HDR.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 108

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Yeah, so long as you are within spec on the tires, Id run it.

If you don't like how it handles, toss a set of bags or timbrens on it, and a rear sway bar if it doesn't.
Also wouldn't hurt to actually get it weighed, axles independent, to see just how tail heavy that rear overhang is making things.

In general, the further forward with cab-overs the better for the truck and handling.

Yeah, so long as you are within spec on the tires, Id run it.

If you don't like how it handles, toss a set of bags or timbrens on it, and a rear sway bar if it doesn't.
Also wouldn't hurt to actually get it weighed, axles independent, to see just how tail heavy that rear overhang is making things.

In general, the further forward with cab-overs the better for the truck and handling.

I am running a set of timbrens currently. I don't think I'd try it without them or bags. I think I'll order a set of the Tuftruck HD rear coils and big wig sway bar and try that first. I checked a head of time and I am well in spec on tire weight ratings. They're load range E and max out at 4650 lbs at 80 psi. The camper dry weight is 2600#'s. I'm going to give it a shot for a few close trips and see how things go. It already feels pretty good, but I'd like to improve. Otherwise I guess a 1 ton dually is in my future

Sitting....with full water, propane, battery, and tools. Nothing else though

We have basically that same camper. Lance 880. Our F350 hauls it pretty well with a few mods.

Head over to powerstroke.org and look for my threads on carrying a camper. Username over there is SC-surfer. Also see zmann’s posts over there. His truck/camper setup is an inspiration and my posts outline the process I went through to make my SRW truck haul my camper. I’m pretty happy with where I’m at now. Just finished up my first Baja trip with this rig and was very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

STREGA

Explorer
During your 180 mile test run was there any high side winds or much curvy/hilly 2 lane highways encountered? That's where a lack of "not enough truck" will rear it's ugly head. Driving a pick up truck not up to the requirements of a large hard side camper in high winds WILL get your attention as will narrow 2 lane highways that have heavy truck traffic, curves and hills, not my idea of fun. Never be so married to a truck that is not a proper choice for the job at hand to get the correct truck you truly need.

As my dad use to say "it's always better to have too much truck than not enough truck". In 1961 when I was about 5 years old he bought a slide in 8' hard side camper which in that time was a big camper not to mention a very rare thing to see. At the time he bought the camper we had a '58 Chevy half ton step side PU with a inline 6 cyl. motor. It got the job done but barely, it was underpowered and swayed with the weight of the camper which didn't have all the bells and whistles today's campers have. He upgraded to a '65 Ford 3/4 ton with a V-8 which made all the difference in hauling that camper around safely.

We have basically that same camper. Lance 880. Our F350 hauls it pretty well with a few mods.

Head over to powerstroke.org and look for my threads on carrying a camper. Username over there is SC-surfer. Also see zmann’s posts over there. His truck/camper setup is an inspiration and my posts outline the process I went through to make my SRW truck haul my camper. I’m pretty happy with where I’m at now. Just finished up my first Baja trip with this rig and was very happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks! I'll go check it out

During your 180 mile test run was there any high side winds or much curvy/hilly 2 lane highways encountered? That's where a lack of "not enough truck" will rear it's ugly head. Driving a pick up truck not up to the requirements of a large hard side camper in high winds WILL get your attention as will narrow 2 lane highways that have heavy truck traffic, curves and hills, not my idea of fun. Never be so married to a truck that is not a proper choice for the job at hand to get the correct truck you truly need.

As my dad use to say "it's always better to have too much truck than not enough truck". In 1961 when I was about 5 years old he bought a slide in 8' hard side camper which in that time was a big camper not to mention a very rare thing to see. At the time he bought the camper we had a '58 Chevy half ton step side PU with a inline 6 cyl. motor. It got the job done but barely, it was underpowered and swayed with the weight of the camper which didn't have all the bells and whistles today's campers have. He upgraded to a '65 Ford 3/4 ton with a V-8 which made all the difference in hauling that camper around safely.

I did have strong side winds that turned into a head wind the whole way home. Radio was saying gusts up to 30 mph. A couple hills but nothing huge. There is one on the way to a spot we like to camp and it is steep with lots of curves. I am going to get the rear suspension improvements added and try that hill out soon as a test. I think if I have to white knuckle it up that mountain then I'll go get a bigger truck. I like that quote and probably good words to live by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles