Post up your drawer/storage system

jbeer

Wrapping up ZR2 storage version 2.0, just in time for Overland Expo. Gunner Kennel for the dog, fridge beer for me, and a ton more storage space for goodies. Not shown, but mounted to the side, is a 1000w inverter, NOCO shore power charger, and the 120ah battery + solar charger setup. Really happy with the way this is turning out and already have a couple of ideas for V3 :)

OJrfZdL.jpg

IvkkQAo.jpg

IcBp1Te.jpg

8mhYWwr.jpg

IMG_20181029_071810.jpg
Finishing up my Storage drawers and fridge slide.
The empty space under the fridge is for my stove, still waiting on the drawer slides for it to ship.
Everything is removable/reconfigurable. 2nd battery resides to the right of the system. Area for my table to slide in and out as well.
IMG_20181023_073357.jpg

rjinga

Observer
VideoCapture_20181027-162010.jpg
One larger Ziploc container - $16.50. It carried firewood out to our 4-day/3-night trip, and then my dirty clothes and dishes back.

VideoCapture_20181027-162145.jpg
One small Ziploc container for dry food goods; and,
VideoCapture_20181027-162324.jpg
one for extra water and electronic storage - $7.70 each ($15.40 total).

VideoCapture_20181027-162125.jpg
One 3-drawer unit for clothes, personal stuff, etc.; and,
VideoCapture_20181027-162200.jpg
another 3-drawer unit for camping and cooking gear - $12.00 each ($24.00 total).

One strap and one bungee cord - $12.80.

Grand total - $66.70.

Last edited:

rjinga

Observer
Actually, my previous post isn't completely accurate. I actually use the whole back of my LC for storage. I've got my offroad jack and splitting axe on the 2nd row floorboard. I've got my spare tire, tow chains, tarps, CB, extra straps, power-puller, trail hats, gloves, rain gear, step-stool and recovery & tool box under my sleeping platform.

D

Deleted member 9101

Wow, so many tricky examples of camping storage, and all geared toward fair weather camping.
90% of the rigs posted here are only good for the summer months.

Quite the opposite where I live... you would be absolutely miserable in most of the rigs on this site during the summer months in central Florida.

sonarman

Chuck box is finally done. What a colossal amount of work! My 63QT ARB fridge will sit right behind it, in the spot currently occupied by tools and other junk.

Turned out pretty much just as I imagined it. A few imperfections here and there, but overall I'm very happy and think this should work very well for my needs.

Secured to the sliding platform with four stainless M8 bolts.

All tucked away with a precision fit under the tonneau.
BBdEBbI.jpg

Far column open.
ams3TUV.jpg

Far column and drawer open.
tidzolH.jpg

Looking in from the top.
3XFdqJJ.jpg

Fully slid out.
mazsxpr.jpg

Fully slid out 2.
CYdEuBZ.jpg

Worthington 10lb propane tank lives here.
0kE9TLw.jpg

Just enough clearance to fully open the stove.
eGUreyW.jpg
Chuck box is finally done. What a colossal amount of work! My 63QT ARB fridge will sit right behind it, in the spot currently occupied by tools and other junk.

Turned out pretty much just as I imagined it. A few imperfections here and there, but overall I'm very happy and think this should work very well for my needs.

Secured to the sliding platform with four stainless M8 bolts.

All tucked away with a precision fit under the tonneau.
BBdEBbI.jpg

Far column open.
ams3TUV.jpg

Far column and drawer open.
tidzolH.jpg

Looking in from the top.
3XFdqJJ.jpg

Fully slid out.
mazsxpr.jpg

Fully slid out 2.
CYdEuBZ.jpg

Worthington 10lb propane tank lives here.
0kE9TLw.jpg

Just enough clearance to fully open the stove.
eGUreyW.jpg
What slides are those?
Thanks

overlandsite

It's a Prado 120/ GX470 and the platform on top of the drawers is also used for sleeping, when the rooftop tent cannot be opened for some reasons (weather, place etc).
That means the system is all the way up to the driver's seat so on the side we have a cabinet.

https://overlandsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/IMG_2481Main.jpg

If you'd like to know dimensions, please let me know. I'm happy to send them.

Attachments

• IMG_2481Main.jpg
    IMG_2481Main.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 280

LeadDoggy

Observer
It's always been a pain to reach under the bed to get to items needed, so we needed a drawer system. The drawer is 48" deep and has a few adjustable dividers. The slides are only 40" in length but getting to the front section of the drawer is no problem when drawer is fully extended.
IMG_6037.jpg

IMG_6137.jpg

Needed some more storage in the main part of the van so we built some shelves on top of our already homemade storage cubes. We also added a shelve above the bed. Everything is removable to put the van back to a 12 passenger.

IMG_6139.jpg

IMG_6143.jpg

IMG_8501.JPG

jgaz

Adventurer
I figured this was a good place to post the storage system I just finished for my LJ.
It’s not really finished, probably more like a work in progress.

I started with a base board of 3/4 Baltic birch to give myself some flexibility in mounting or tying down a variety of options.
View attachment 467861
In this picture you can also see version 3 of my cargo basket mounting method. This basket has proven to be very handy for camping. It’s been one of my favorite mods. If anyone is interested I can provide the details on this basket.

In order to mount the base board I first removed the rear seat, seat mounting brackets, and center seat belt anchor, but left the carpet in place. I fastened 1” spacer blocks to the board in the appropriate places so that the base board is just barely resting on the carpet but mounted solidly to the tub.
View attachment 467862
The board is secured to the Jeep tub in seven places using the factory threaded inserts. No new holes were drilled and replacing the seat is quite easy if I need or want to.

Here is the drawer and drawer outer box I built to hold the normal, everyday on and off road gear. The Jeep spends quite a bit of time at various hiking trailheads both popular and remote here in AZ. My idea was to keep the gear at least out of sight and a little more secure than just strapped down in the back.
View attachment 467864

View attachment 467863

The center panel in the drawer is fixed to add strength while the rear divider is removable or adjustable. I decided not to use slides. The drawer rides on two runners of 1/8” hardboard that have been lubed with a spray, dry lubricant that I use on my woodworking machine tables. It slides very nicely even when fully loaded. In these pics you can also see the tie down rings on the sides of the drawer box. These can be adjusted to 5 different locations along each side to help tie down misc. camping gear if required.

Yeah, the Mahogany drawer front is overkill, but since I was kinda copying Rayra’s excellent suburban drawers I figured why not. I didn’t use a locking latch because, realistically, any security comes from the fact that even if someone breaks into the Jeep they still have to get the gate open. This “should” at least slow them down.

Here I’ve mounted the fridge slide next to the drawer box. The slide won’t ride in the Jeep full time, only when I use the Jeep for camping
View attachment 467865
As I said before, this is a work in progress. Even though I have the tie down tracks available along the forward edges of the base board I may “steal” BritKLR’s idea and drill some 1” holes in various locations to allow camping gear to be secured with roller cam straps. These would be especially usefull if the fridge wasn’t installed. Next project is to build a simple box that will mount forward of the drawer box to hold a MWC or two.
Thanks to all for the ideas on my current storage solution.

I was cleaning out the shed and decided to use some small plywood scraps to make a MWC holder that would mount to my baseboard storage system that I detailed above.

0A60D650-39D3-4AED-80C2-7232943D2B35.jpeg

I drilled some 1 1/4” holes and used a 1” strap to secure the can. Seems easier than using the tie down track I mounted but I’ll leave the track for use if I don’t take the MWC.
A2B624A4-AC08-4A94-A6EB-63FE90E3CE46.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles