The AR-15

Explorerinil

Observer
Is there anyone left who know hows and actually uses iron sights?
Yes! At work I am issued a rock river short barreled m4 select fire, we used iron sights still and they work flawless. We found that leaving a rifle in a vehicle with temperature changes and getting beat up good old iron sights work perfect for us.

Before going back to iron sights we used aim points, trigicon quick reflex and eotech. On my personal ar I got an aim point and an eotech on another.

Explorerinil

Observer
I have first hand experience with old eyes and iron sights. I've spent a pile of money on dedicated lenses for my shooting glasses and other gadgets with limited success.

But I can't remember the last time I saw a young/middle aged person shooting with irons.

I see where the USArmy has come to it's senses and has reverted back to requiring troops to qualify with irons in addition to optical sights.
I see more people that actually shoot using iron sights that optics. Allot of people I see with an AR with every accessory in it never shoot it or don’t shoot it that well. As a police firearms instructor I see allot of out of the box bushmaster, rock river and colt AR platform rifles that are bone stock and shoot geat. A near by swat time buys Daniel defense and slaps an eotech on them, plane Jane rock river AR’s are very very popular in law enforcement espically in Illinois almost every department I know of has some form of rock river rifle, usually stock as it came out of the box.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Theres a counter-culture trend these days against modifying guns and using optics. Its annoying and stupid.

Actually, the new trend is to remove any and all challenges to instant gratification and to hurl immature insults when feelings get hurt.

Not to mention the mentality involved for those apparently dreaming of carving their way thru a wall of human flesh with a heavily personalized rifle.

Some folks ought to stick to shoot em up video games.

NMC_EXP

Explorer
I see more people that actually shoot using iron sights that optics. Allot of people I see with an AR with every accessory in it never shoot it or don’t shoot it that well. As a police firearms instructor I see allot of out of the box bushmaster, rock river and colt AR platform rifles that are bone stock and shoot geat. A near by swat time buys Daniel defense and slaps an eotech on them, plane Jane rock river AR’s are very very popular in law enforcement espically in Illinois almost every department I know of has some form of rock river rifle, usually stock as it came out of the box.

I've seen guys with 2 or 3 sight/optic gadgets, flashlights, lasers..........you name it bolted on an AR15 and blazing away at a paper plate from 10 paces.

I used to live in Illinois. Rock River is located there and they make good rifles. So no surprise cops use them.

I compete in NRA/CMP Highpower Service Rifle. I know first hand how well an iron sight equipped M14 or M16 can shoot at 200, 300 and 600 yards. All it takes is (1) sight alignment, (2) sight picture and (3) trigger control. With a match conditioned rifle competitors who understand wind drift can keep all 20 shots in the 12" diameter 10-ring at 600 yd with iron sights, from prone using only a sling for support.

That is marksmanship as opposed gadgetry and seeing how fast a magazine full of ammo can be converted into noise.

Me with Springfield Armory M1A Supermatch s/n 040689. 200 yard offhand stage, National Championship, Camp Perry Ohio ca 1989.

JRA_CA1988_CAMP_PERRY_BY_F_WOLTZ.JPG

Last edited:

CodyY

Explorer
Actually, the new trend is to remove any and all challenges to instant gratification and to hurl immature insults when feelings get hurt.

Not to mention the mentality involved for those apparently dreaming of carving their way thru a wall of human flesh with a heavily personalized rifle.

Some folks ought to stick to shoot em up video games.
Not really sure where you're going with this, but I haven't insulted you or anyone else.

I'm nothing special but between 3gun, PRS, and IDPA I've got a decent handle for what works FOR ME. so, take the backhand insults elsewhere

Back on topic, I shot AR15s suppressed from a helicopter yesterday.
cbca673023a2f3d520b253069c35b00b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CodyY

Explorer
This mean you withdraw the "annoying and stupid" remark in a previous post?
Nope. Didn't have your name attached to it but apparently it hits close to home?

Next build in process for PRS club matches next year. 6.5cm 22"
Needs glass and an adjustable stock
7a9ac26eba4d80172e9820cda84f0834.jpg

Explorerinil

Observer
I've seen guys with 2 or 3 sight/optic gadgets, flashlights, lasers..........you name it bolted on an AR15 and blazing away at a paper plate from 10 paces.

I used to live in Illinois. Rock River is located there and they make good rifles. So no surprise cops use them.

I compete in NRA/CMP Highpower Service Rifle. I know first hand how well an iron sight equipped M14 or M16 can shoot at 200, 300 and 600 yards. All it takes is (1) sight alignment, (2) sight picture and (3) trigger control. With a match conditioned rifle competitors who understand wind drift can keep all 20 shots in the 12" diameter 10-ring at 600 yd with iron sights, from prone using only a sling for support.

That is marksmanship as opposed gadgetry and seeing how fast a magazine full of ammo can be converted into noise.

Me with Springfield Armory M1A Supermatch s/n 040689. 200 yard offhand stage, National Championship, Camp Perry Ohio ca 1989.

View attachment 484744
You are correct! Awesome pic btw! There seams to be a lack of focus on accuracy now, I ran into a guy the other day that carries (civilian) 3 30 round mags with his pistol every day, he explained to me that he needs all that ammo in case he’s “attacked”. That seams to be the thought process now, at work I carry a 1911 with 3 8 round chip McCormick power mags. 17 years latter I am still doing just fine. Keep it simple, train with it and shoot it allot and you will be fine.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Just because some of us have AR's and handguns with red dots, magnifiers, lasers, and lights on them doesn't mean we are not capable of standard, basic marksmanship. I grew up shooting everything that moved with a Marlin 39a lever gun with open hooded sights, then I finally got my first bolt gun in middle school, a Ruger mk77 in 22-250, I killed every white tail I ever shot for the next 15 years with that rifle and a 7x scope. I didn't get my first AR-15 until 2007 and it was a Rock River, it served me well for a few years (the first three were without an optic or red dot) until I discovered better quality options like LMT and KAC.

I did most of my quals with open sights when I was in the Army and I still practice shooting my flip-up irons from time to time. Those "gadgets" that some of you see as handicaps or as accessories for "wanna-be commandos" are actually the opposite. I have lights on my rifles so I can see at night when I am not using Nods, that's pretty self explanatory. I have red dots on all of my SBR's because my time on target and splits are faster, the shot timer doesn't lie lol. I also run a red dot because how else will I accurately put a shot on target at night when using NV? Why do I have lasers, well because they make for easier target acquisition when using NV as well. Why do I have NV and Thermal optics, well because I don't have super powers that allow me to see in the dark or low light conditions very well and that just so happens to be when pigs like to mess ******** up out at the ranch/farm. Magnifiers are handy in flip-to-the-side or twist-off mounts so that they are easily added or removed should they be needed in extended range situations or for target ID further out. That said, I can consistently hit man-sized targets at 400m with a 2 moa red dot so they see little use on my rifles, but I am glad to have the option.

Suppressors take the edge off of the shot which reduces stress to the shooter and they also reduce the report which helps to confuse the animals and delay their departure for a follow-up shot. Short barreled rifles reduce the overall length of a rifle which is handy when moving in and out of vehicles and SxS's and when in confined spaces with or without others. They also help to keep the overall length of the rifle to a more manageable size when used in conjunction with a suppressor that adds another 5-8" to the end of the gun.

I still have open sight rifles, my JM stamped Marlin 336 RC 30-30 is still used regularly to drop pigs and other varmint in the brush and it even comes along to the deer stand a few times a year. More than half of my hand guns still have regular iron sights on them as well, but I can't deny the benefits of RDS's, magnifiers, lasers, lights, NV, Thermal, etc. as they have their place in modern times depending on your needs. Why wouldn't I give myself any and every advantage possible to increase my likelihood of placing my shots more accurately and more quickly with the addition of these devices?
This doesn't mean that one should stop practicing without those items, you should always practice for a SHTF scenario incase those gadgets do fail you or should you find yourself with a rifle that lacks those features. There's no replacement for being competent and practicing your craft. I do agree that most would be better served with more ammo and practice time than they would with buying more accessories for their guns, but that doesn't mean you lump anyone with a red dot into that category. To suggest that you're a hack or fool for employing these aids is close minded and arrogant, besides to each his own. I guess I need to go back to playing video games huh, oh that's right, I don't own any lol.

ArkansasDon

Observer
I use my AR15 for coyote hunting. I handload using Lake City brass which I anneal the brass, 55.gr Dogtown HP Bullet, Benchmark powder.

Anderson AR 15 Carbine, Timney Trigger 3lb, Yankee Hill Low Profile Gas Block, 12" ODIN Works Hand guard, Vortex Strike Eagle Scope, Nikon P Series 30mm Optic Mount, Magpul Rear Stock, Magpul Grip, Troy Industries Battle Sites front & rear.

All the finish work coating was done by me, KG Gun Kote 2400 Series Bake On Magpul OD Green, & SOCOM Black
003.JPG002.JPG009.JPG003.JPG012.JPG004.JPG

CodyY

Explorer
Nice finish on the coating. What barrel?

2 questions:
A:Why bother to have backup irons (specifically with non-qd scope mounting) on a "coyote" gun? It's not like you're going to be damaging optics for this application, it's just unnecessary weight.

B: I'm assuming that's why your scope mounts are backwards, but you're bridging the gap from upper to rail (also with a 2 piece mount on a scope instead of a single base such as Larue LT104 or ADM recon) which will cause massive inconsistencies with the optic unless it's on a monolithic upper. With all the trouble to hand load ammo, and an extremely light trigger, this seems counterproductive

rnArmy

Adventurer
How hard is it to swap out the collapsing stock on an AR-15? I don't care for the Mission First Tactical Minimalist Stock that came on mine, so I want to swap it out for a Magpul CTR mil-spec stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94