Grumman Sport Boat

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Listed as one of the top 10 boats ever. 110 pounds. 15'4" and built like an extra wide freighter canoe. Can hual 1000 pounds of gear. Paddles, oars, trolling motor or small outboard will push it. Its got two sets of oarlocks so two people can row at once. This one is a 1978 that I got from original owners. They bought it to run one trip on the Yellowstone river. They are still built by Grumman today. It will be perfect to explore the small feeder creeks and backwater canyons AZ has. Its only 43" wide. It came with a new trolling motor and battery but I really can't wait to row it and see how my 4hp pushes it. I've wanted one of these for decades but they are hard to find. The trailer needs some mods. Ive got to fiqure a way to store it upside down because it does not have a drain plug. It also needs to be able to launch and retreive right side up when a motor and all my gear are in it. Any sugestions on that and what do you think?

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

F350joe

Just flip it over off the trailer, it’s only 100lbs. You can also put a little bilge pump in there. You may get shot if you drilled into it.

I’m redoing a really old 17’ Grumman canoe, 50’s I think. It came with outriggers and has a square back for my 1925 Evinrude. It’s polishing up nice, too nice, blinds me whenever I walk into the yard. I really like the sport boats, missed out on one last year myself. Incredible how well made these things are. Mine has been well used but not a rivet out of place.

Napa aluminum rim cleaner works really well for the first layer. Just spray it on and wash it off when it’s done foaming. Kind of wish I stopped there, polishing is pain.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Just flip it over off the trailer, it’s only 100lbs. You can also put a little bilge pump in there. You may get shot if you drilled into it.

I’m redoing a really old 17’ Grumman canoe, 50’s I think. It came with outriggers and has a square back for my 1925 Evinrude. It’s polishing up nice, too nice, blinds me whenever I walk into the yard. I really like the sport boats, missed out on one last year myself. Incredible how well made these things are. Mine has been well used but not a rivet out of place.

Napa aluminum rim cleaner works really well for the first layer. Just spray it on and wash it off when it’s done foaming. Kind of wish I stopped there, polishing is pain.

I have an 18' Grumman Canoe that I think is the same dimension as yours with the extra foot being a point. Grumman made light aircraft and is why they can shape, rivet and build strong, light craft. I won't drill it. It already has factory holes and a mounting plate for the optional sail kit. The boat and the canoe have them. Are your outriggers Grumman aluminum? We love our 18 footer. There is not a kevlar, plastic or whatever canoe made that I would trade for. We see plastic canoes in the cove at the lake and have never seen any of the synthetic versions venture out into the main lake. The flex slows them down, without a keel they blow sideways and those are the ones that lead to yelling and divorce. They cannot be stored in the sun and are preety much tippy biodegradable plastic crap. Of course the owners have a million phony reasons why their material is better but I never seen airplanes made out it. The only place a non aluminum canoe has any advantage is on water that requires a helmet. Here is the optional sail kit that fits canoes and Sport Boats. I've seen an old vid and it looked very sketchy to sail when the wind picked up.

image.jpeg

FlipperFla

Install a drain plug, you can get the tube, transom plug. and a small tube of 3M 5200 and you will be good to go, under $20 for the whole project. You can get all the parts at a West Marine

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Grumman made light aircraft and is why they can shape, rivet and build strong, light craft. I won't drill it.

I can't say I'm particularly knowledgeable about watercraft, but the idea of drilling a hole in that boat just seems wrong to me on many levels. Be it the idea of a failure point, or damaging a solid piece of material intended to be unbroken, it just seems like a bad idea. Maybe it's just the logic of drilling a hole in a perfectly good boat.

While it's not my boat and none of my business, I'm kinda glad you won't do that.

My parents have a 17' aluminum cargo canoe, I believe it's has Sears on it (so who made it I'm not sure...I doubt Sears manufactured canoes.) but it looks somewhat similar to this boat, just a bit narrower and pointy on both ends. It's one heck of a canoe and I spent a good deal of my childhood in it. I remember one trip it hauling my parents, myself, and my Uncle, along with a large barrel we found and scavenged, plus fishing gear. It was loaded that day and doing quite well in a murky, narrow river. They still have it, and I have access to it. It's been discussed aming myself and a friend using it on a potential future multi-day river trip.

FlipperFla

Your correct about not having any marine knowledge. Structual issues drilling a drain hole in a transom? I guess if you get caught in a good storm you can always bail with a dixie cup or paddle to shore, take all your gear out and turn it over to get the water out. There is a reason 99.9% of boats with a transom have one. I understand its a classic, but very impractical not having one. Make sure you take a life jacket.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Bella is up in the bow....right where she belongs
Since she is a non fenced open range beast I let her out blocks away from home. She ran right to the back yard where the boat and canoe are stored. She gave me that look “Let’s go!”
I was rushing to get my fresh built sand car to Glamis when it popped up for sale so I’m not even home to play with it. The lakes and rivers should be up. Pick one you would like to see or I have a list.

tatanka48

look at the way other aluminium boat's drain holes are welded in and find a reputable welder to duplicate your favorite

this will not affect the boat's value and it will make your life easier

w/ the drain plug installed from the inside being able to drain rain and spray while under way is real handy

give strong consideration to inverting the row locks

on the outside as pictured they WILL snag on stuff as you are negotiating tight spots(some will argue this because it narrows the pivot points for rowing)

IMHO keeping the outside of the gunn'ls fair n clean is paramount

as for launching ease... look at the way some small trailers(HF tilting units & boat trailers) are tilted in the middle w/ the aft end of the tongue pivoting on a bolt thru a coupla plates

you could simply add a duplicate tongue under the existing one and allow it to pivot at the rear and falling up between 2 side plates toward the front of the original tongue

move the ball hitch to the bottom piece so you can tilt the rig while still fastened to the TV

btw, GREAT SCORE

T

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
look at the way other aluminium boat's drain holes are welded in and find a reputable welder to duplicate your favorite

this will not affect the boat's value and it will make your life easier

w/ the drain plug installed from the inside being able to drain rain and spray while under way is real handy

give strong consideration to inverting the row locks

on the outside as pictured they WILL snag on stuff as you are negotiating tight spots(some will argue this because it narrows the pivot points for rowing)

IMHO keeping the outside of the gunn'ls fair n clean is paramount

as for launching ease... look at the way some small trailers(HF tilting units & boat trailers) are tilted in the middle w/ the aft end of the tongue pivoting on a bolt thru a coupla plates

you could simply add a duplicate tongue under the existing one and allow it to pivot at the rear and falling up between 2 side plates toward the front of the original tongue

move the ball hitch to the bottom piece so you can tilt the rig while still fastened to the TV

btw, GREAT SCORE

T
Keen eye on the oar locks. Never thought to invert them. Was thinking aluminum angle bent in a V with half inch bolt. Like a skid plate for them. They are known to hang on plants and rocks.

F350joe

I have an 18' Grumman Canoe that I think is the same dimension as yours with the extra foot being a point. Grumman made light aircraft and is why they can shape, rivet and build strong, light craft. I won't drill it. It already has factory holes and a mounting plate for the optional sail kit. The boat and the canoe have them. Are your outriggers Grumman aluminum? We love our 18 footer. There is not a kevlar, plastic or whatever canoe made that I would trade for. We see plastic canoes in the cove at the lake and have never seen any of the synthetic versions venture out into the main lake. The flex slows them down, without a keel they blow sideways and those are the ones that lead to yelling and divorce. They cannot be stored in the sun and are preety much tippy biodegradable plastic crap. Of course the owners have a million phony reasons why their material is better but I never seen airplanes made out it. The only place a non aluminum canoe has any advantage is on water that requires a helmet. Here is the optional sail kit that fits canoes and Sport Boats. I've seen an old vid and it looked very sketchy to sail when the wind picked up.

View attachment 486493
Looks like the same boat. Mine once had a sail kit it looks like, would love to put one on. The outriggers are original, I think, but are welded. Some before pics... I have since repainted the interior and polished the exterior, just needs some finishing touches and will be ready to go.

Attachments

• 735E927A-BFBE-40AB-BC5E-6170D0837F10.jpeg
    735E927A-BFBE-40AB-BC5E-6170D0837F10.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
  • A806A699-A4E2-45B1-96DB-A126323E02C4.jpeg
    A806A699-A4E2-45B1-96DB-A126323E02C4.jpeg
    777.9 KB · Views: 34

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles